PDA

View Full Version : Maravich Jersey?

barton0508
05-14-2012, 02:15 PM
I'll start by disclaiming that I am an extreme novice to this hobby, esspecially when compared to the experience in this forum, but is anyone else concerned with Grey Flannel titling this lot as a "Pete Maravich Practice Jersey"?

http://catalog.greyflannelauctions.com/LotDetail.aspx?lotid=28427&searchby=3&searchvalue=maravich&page=0&sortby=0&displayby=2&lotsperpage=50&category=1&seo=Mid-1970

First of all, Maravich was not the only player on the Jazz to wear #7. Toby Kimball wore it in the '74-'75 season while Maravich wore 44.

Second, the size is XL, which could have been worn by either player.

And Third, check out this picture below from the '74-'75 season practice session where Maravich is wearing #8 and Coach van Breda Kolff is wearing #7!!!

I guess it is possible that Maravich wore this jersey in the following season, but I have not been able to find anything that would support that idea. I'm sure it is an authentic practice jersey from the New Orleans Jazz and I would have no problem with GFA labeling it as such and letting the bidders sort it out, but it seems misleading to title it "Maravich".

I hope someone can argue that this is the real deal, because I really want it to be!

both-teams-played-hard
05-14-2012, 05:49 PM
Great work in locating a New Orleans Jazz practice photo! That is no easy task. What was the time period that Pistol wore number "7" as opposed to "44" ?
I really can't speak on the GFC practice jersey, because practice shirts are not my bag, and they bore me silly.

barton0508
05-14-2012, 09:20 PM
I would normally be bored with it, but I have a particular interest in Maravich and can't afford a gamer.

He wore #44 for his first season with the Jazz ('74-'75). Kimball left the Jazz after that season and Maravich assumed #7 from '75-'79. Maybe he did wear a #7 in practice at that time too, but I haven't been able to confirm that.