PDA

View Full Version : What to do with this jersey

sylbry
10-10-2006, 12:57 PM
I have been pondering what to do with this jersey for some time. Your thoughts would be appreciated.

I have a 1978 set 2 Twins road jersey. It was held over to 1979 and worn by Jerry Koosman. After the season it was sent to the minors and had a name and number change. You can clearly see the outline of "KOOSMAN" on the jersey.

The company who prepares the Twins jerseys since 1961 is still in business and is local. They could restore the jersey.

My question is: 1) should the jersey be restored and 2) how do you document the restoration.

If the jersey is restored you will be able to see the outline of the other name and number on the back plus the wear on the jersey will not match the name and number on the back.

How do you document it? I have pictures that clearly show the outline but who is to say it is even the same jersey after the restoration is done. Some could say it was a minor leaguers jersey I converted into a Koosman jersey. So how do you go about authenticating it?

I appreciate any and all thoughts.

Bryan

Swoboda4
10-10-2006, 04:15 PM
A very important jersey you have. I would not restore the name in this case. The fact that you can see "Koosman" outlined on the back is special and will be lost if restored. That you can see the outline very clearly is significant towards authentication. If you restore it you lose this and it becomes a "restored jersey" instead of something special. I don't know if you can download photos to help in this discussion but maybe restore the number to bring the jersey "back" somehow but I feel seeing the original outline of the name is something unique ,if restored,it's lost.
http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com/al/tcmin/koosmin.JPG

sylbry
10-10-2006, 04:33 PM
The back of the jersey is anything but pretty.

lon lewis
10-10-2006, 06:12 PM
sylbry, jersey restoration is a personal preference situation. in the case of your jersey you need to consider several things. if this was a jersey used in '78 there is probably another name/number outline behind the koosman.then you get into the restoration process. first you have to remove the current nob & # which will probably leave a glue residue, with posssible "thread bleed" which are both difficult to remove. as far as the restoration of the koosman nob and the correct # someone would have to be able to replicate the nob which if memory serves me correctly is a vertical arc and the correct size and style # it's unlikely even the twins lettering co would be able to do this,even if they wanted to attemp it. if you were to do this, you need to photo document the whole process. two other things to consider.one being the jersey itself may have faded around the current nob & #'s ( you won't know until you take them off) and the outlines would always be there. secondly the material used to make the restored nob & #'s would be of the current "polytwill" as opposed to the "tackle twill" that was used until approx 1982-3 so unless whoever does this has a supply of "tackle twill" it won't be a perfect match. after all that, i'd suggest that you leave things as they are, as not all jerseys are good candidates for restoration.

bigtime59
10-11-2006, 08:50 AM
It's too funny to see this jersey pop up again. I collect #59 jerseys, but didn't bid on this one because of the obvious difference in stitching between the 5 and the 9...
Now I find out it's historic! Great buy! :D :eek: :D

indyred
10-13-2006, 09:28 AM
I would leave it as is. I always liked that style of jersey the Twins had, does it still have the patch on the sleeve? Can you post a picture of the front.

sylbry
10-13-2006, 05:48 PM
The front