PDA

View Full Version : HR baseball authenticated by "collector"....

marino13
05-16-2012, 10:15 AM
... where do I start? I have friends and collectors alike - and they all have asked why dont I established something since I am "helping" them for free. There is NO better place to ask for "wording help" than GUU, so here it goes.

(let me give a little background and we can go from there).

1. I am a full season ticket holder for the Yankees. My seats are in the outfield - right field to be exact. I missed about 4 games for the last 7 seasons or so. I do attend every home game - unless there are something beyond my control, then I would not be at the game. Unless the game is cancelled, then that is another story.

2. Most people in my section know that I am a "die hard" HR baseball's collector. I have video clips of me catching these baseball - now that was fun to look at every single time! With the technology improving, the still images are so much better now. When the HR baseball landed in my section - from both teams - I would tell them to HOLD onto the baseball until they have the urge to "chicago-rized it" - throwing the opponent's HR back!

3. The easiest provenance - pictures of you with the baseball and the fans around you along with your ticket stub. It is difficult to fake - strangers around you being happy for you catching a HR ball.

4. What I have been suggesting for these "not-so-collector but just a fan" - get a picture with the security who happened to be in the area and his/her info. This will help later on.

5. Here is the main reason for this thread - what would be the acceptable wording for the provenance paper? Beside the obvious - game date, player name, ticket stub, security's witness, etc.

(Beside the Tigers, there are no other HR baseball being authenticated as such.)

frikativ54
05-16-2012, 12:41 PM
(Beside the Tigers, there are no other HR baseball being authenticated as such.)

FYI, I've seen the Astros authenticating HR baseballs.

As for the issue of provenance, it's difficult with a game used baseball. How can a buyer know that he or she will be receiving the exact same ball you caught? After all, these things can be switched out really easily. Not saying you would do as such, but that many would, and that I would only buy a home run baseball with an MLB hologram.

marino13
05-16-2012, 01:47 PM
I was thinking the same thing. There are many unanswered questions and so forth, which is why I think a third-party who has no interest/connection with the event would signed and initial it - that would be good!

Maybe some "marked" with blacklight pen? :D

Or a stamp of some kind ...

The ball itself wont generate as much monetary value as the MLB ones but .. I have seen HR baseball from Citizen Park being authenticated by the team themselves (after it was witness by the security in the area).

Still thinking about the wording for the next draft since there are a couple home games coming up and it is not a bad place to test it out!

Even if I dont end up buying the HR baseball - only wanted Jeter, Granderson, Cano, Swisher and Arod ... as for the opponents, I would try to get Hamilton before they being tossed back onto the field!

:D

frikativ54
05-16-2012, 02:54 PM
I was thinking the same thing. There are many unanswered questions and so forth, which is why I think a third-party who has no interest/connection with the event would signed and initial it - that would be good!

Let's take the scenario where you get a photo with a ball and a third party. Who is to say that a security guard would always be impartial? Also, it's not unheard of to have fans make friends with people like ushers. Therefore, I still think that there is a provenance issue, even if one poses with a third party.

marino13
05-16-2012, 05:23 PM
I will post pictures for the next HR baseball hit in my section.

Now, I just need to get the wording correctly and three blank spots to be signed. I should have save the picture of the Citizen Bank Park's Homerun Baseball Certificate. It was simple and straight to the point.

1. Person who caught the baseball with date and opponent and player's name who hit the homerun - along with ticket stub infos (seats location and account #)

2. Security on duty

3. Security's supervisor

So far, I am borrowing this concept (less is more right?)...

tella27
05-16-2012, 05:56 PM
When it comes to balls I only trust MLB authentication - as it has been said switching out a baseball is VERY easy. It's nothing against you or your word but there are so many people trying to scam a buck off the hobby we all love. Your best bet would be to have the ball authenticated by one of the few MLB reps that are at the park. I know the usher always comes down for foul balls and HR balls at the parks here in Chicago to make sure someone didnt get blasted in the face or something and get hurt. You might be able to ask them to get the MLB rep to authenticate but I don't know for sure.

You'd almost be better off to sell it to someone in the crowd there on the spot - you probably wont get its true value but at least you could work out a price due to them seeing you catch it.