PDA

View Full Version : Ebay Scam Be Careful!!!

suave1477
10-11-2006, 09:34 AM
This New Scam I have mentioned before but it has been done again a few days ago.
Just want to make sure everyone stays clear of this and do not fall for it!!!

I listed an item on Ebay, a Bidder bought it at the Buy it Now Price. Then a day later they are no longer a Registered Member. They then emailed me directly asking if they can send me a payment over the amount of the item and if I can send them back the difference to Africa.

This is the second time this has happend in 3 weeks, so becareful. Everything looks legit but it isn't.

This was the email I got!!!

I agreed to pay the amount you want as buy it now any additional money for the shipping and handling. Here will go i am using this opportunity to inform you that the amount that will be on the moneyorder will more than your item fees.I don"t realy know the exact amount that will be.Because it will be issue by my client.and the reason of the over payment is that.the amount on the moneyorder has been signed already.And it is more than your item fees.so once you receive it.you must deductyour item fees and westernunion the balance money to my client manager in africa.the item is going to africa also the shipping and westernunion address will come with the payment.
There will be no problem about the shipment.I want you to responsible for it.also make sure you deduct ur item fees and westernunion any aditional money on the m/o once you receive it.and email me ur phone# asap today.
Below are the questions i have for you.

1)is the item in good condition?

2)is any westernunion location where you can send the balance money arround you?

3)can you make sure you get the m/o cash at your bank the sameday you receive it?

4)can you allow me to send DHL for the pick up and complete the transaction the day you receive the
moneyorder?

If yes too all my questions.kindly email me back your full name, address and mobile# asap today

Thanks,

intheminors
10-11-2006, 12:09 PM
See, that just goes to show you that you can't trust a businessman from Africa.

Thanks for the head's up. I haven't had that happen to me. The colest I've had is someone from Japan buying an item when I don't ship there.

Kyle
www.intheminors.com (http://www.intheminors.com)

both-teams-played-hard
10-11-2006, 01:24 PM
Breaker-Breaker-1-9
Looks like we got ourselves a 4-1-9
Roger-10-4-over and out.
http://img237.imageshack.us/img237/2120/ibcmapnigeriaenjk3.gif

suave1477
10-11-2006, 01:37 PM
You guys are hysterical lol lol:D

ham1963
10-11-2006, 01:40 PM
I got one th other day is stated that I could be a Bronze Power Seller. :eek:

nate
10-11-2006, 02:46 PM
It's the Nigerian scam. One of the largest in the world. I have one of the money orders sent from a transaction. Seemed a bit odd to get a $5,000 money order for a $450 item. I called the bank to see if it's authentic. And guess what....the bank doesn't issue money orders. The amazing thing is the money order looks real. It even has a water mark! You can always call the bank to verify the money order.

Good luck with future sales.

Nate

ham1963
10-12-2006, 06:17 PM
Here is a e-mail that I got from E-Bay on protecting yourself from spoof e-mails:

Never pay with Western Union or Money Gram. eBay strongly encourages its members to avoid using instant cash wire transfer services such as Western Union or MoneyGram. It's against eBay's Safe Payments Policy for a seller to request payment via these methods as they've proven to be unsafe when paying someone the buyer doesn't know.

Check My Messages to verify the authenticity of eBay emails. Any email eBay sends you about your account or requesting personal information will also be in My Messages. Before responding to an eBay email asking for information about your account or requesting personal information, verify it's authentic by checking My Messages. If it's not in My Messages, it's a fake email. If you receive a suspicious email that looks like it's from eBay or PayPal, please forward it to spoof@ebay.com (spoof@ebay.com) or spoof@paypal.com (spoof@paypal.com). We will respond (usually within minutes) to tell you whether or not the email is authentic.

Always verify Second Chance Offers. Sending fake Second Chance Offers is a common trick used by fraudsters. If you receive an email with a Second Chance Offer for an item you recently bid on, please check your My Messages inbox (located in My eBay) on the eBay site to make sure the offer is authentic. If it appears in My Messages with the title "eBay Second Chance Offer for Item...," it's authentic. If the Second Chance Offer does not appear in My Messages, or appears with a different title, it is not legitimate and should be ignored. Help us fight this, by reporting these fakes to spoof@ebay.com.

Download eBay Toolbar and PayPal SafetyBar. eBay Toolbar (http://srx.main.ebayrtm.com/clk?RtmClk&m=13881&lid=180573) includes Account Guard which indicates when you are on a legitimate eBay or PayPal site, and alerts you when you are on a known fraudulent site. PayPal's SafetyBar (http://srx.main.ebayrtm.com/clk?RtmClk&m=13881&lid=180574) detects fraudulent emails in your email program and puts them in the spam folder.

Monitor your account regularly for suspicious activity. Prevent problems by staying alert and catching any suspicious activity early. We recommend that you log into your eBay and PayPal accounts frequently to ensure that all the transactions listed are legitimate.

Be suspicious of any email that requests personal information. Be cautious of other emails that request you to click a link and submit your financial or personal information. If in doubt, call or contact the institution first to verify the authenticity of the email. Do not click on any links in this type of email if you cannot verify it is authentic. Only enter your financial information on secure Web sites. Check that a Web site is secure by looking for the closed lock symbol near the bottom of your browser window. And, of course, use a payment method such as PayPal, which lets you pay without sharing your financial information with the person receiving your money. PayPal also covers you 100% against unauthorized money sent from your account.