PDA

View Full Version : Shipping bats?

BergerKing22784
05-26-2012, 12:26 PM
So I am in the process of trying to sell some things and I tried to ship something in a USPS priority mail tube thing that I have a 100 times got bats in but when I went to post office they tried to charge me for the super size box rate? Is this common? I sold something for $40 and they wanted to charge me $32 to ship it priority to California in that box from the east coast.

commando
05-26-2012, 01:02 PM
So I am in the process of trying to sell some things and I tried to ship something in a USPS priority mail tube thing that I have a 100 times got bats in but when I went to post office they tried to charge me for the super size box rate? Is this common? I sold something for $40 and they wanted to charge me $32 to ship it priority to California in that box from the east coast.

Hmmm... that's strange... Are you talking about the Priority Mail long triangular box? If so, I'd think maybe $18 tops to go from coast to coast?

treant985
05-26-2012, 09:30 PM
If you're using the priority mail triangular tube, tell them to scan the bar code that's on the box. That will automatically bring up the right dimensions or whatever.

I got tired of them trying to measure it and figure out what kind of box it was, so I just tell them to scan the barcode (most of them don't know to do it).

trsent
05-27-2012, 01:12 AM

Print your own postage on usps.com and save money and you don't have to deal with the bs at the post office. Also, you can request a pick-up from your postman who won't audit sizes.

BergerKing22784
05-27-2012, 10:00 AM
Thanks for the info guys!

stlbats
05-28-2012, 10:52 AM
Anyone know where is the best place to buy/order a digital postal scale? What kind is best?

I have seen some at Walmart.com or USPS.com for around $30-$40??

Any thoughts?

Jason

stlbats@bellsouth.net

commando
05-28-2012, 11:38 AM
The scale I own right now just weighs up to three pounds. My local post office sells a digital scale that will weigh up to ten pounds, and the cost is 40 dollars.... I'm going to buy one over the next week or two, because I'm tired of having to take my larger packages there.

These days if you print your own postage, with Priority Mail you get delivery confirmation and a tracking number for free. I think with First Class, delivery confirmation and a tracking number is just 19 cents. So the scale will eventually pay for itself!

godwulf
05-28-2012, 01:44 PM

That sounds more like what the Express rate would be. You sure you didn't put that box together with the wrong side facing out? :D

Yeah, any box with a dimension over 12" is going to be considered a "Large Package". Still, I've shipped two bats in one of those boxes from Phoenix to the East Coast, and didn't pay more than $24 or so, and that was with signature confirmation. I shipped several of them from Mobile to Phoenix a couple of weeks ago, two bats per box, insured, and it was less than $18 a box.