PDA

View Full Version : Yankees Corey Lidle dies in small plane crash

psmachetti
10-11-2006, 04:00 PM
Corey Lidle was apparently flying his small plane and crashed into a 50 story apartment building in NYC on Manhattan's East Side .He was apparently the only person in the plane. 4 people are dead .

earlywynnfan
10-11-2006, 05:34 PM
And baseballs signed by him that weren't being sold for 10 bucks this morning are now at $250 and rising!

kylehess10
10-11-2006, 05:36 PM
MLB just announced that no games will be canceled tonight. I don't get it. Do they just not care???

camarokids
10-11-2006, 06:11 PM
And baseballs signed by him that weren't being sold for 10 bucks this morning are now at $250 and rising!

First off, it's sad people are trying to make a buck , minutes after the poor guy dies :(, new items are popping up . It's crazy what people are bidding on , most of the the balls are not even OML ! I have a Lidle sig , but I'm keeping it ! Go on www.drudgereport.com and in one of the articles it tells of Cory saying to reporters last month how safe his plane was because it has a parachute.......My heart goes out to his family......

eGameUsed
10-11-2006, 06:42 PM
This is sad! Same thing happened after Ken Caminiti and Darryl Kile. I have no problem with an item increasing in value over time due to the death (ie. HOF signed baseballs years after they die are rare). But to sell within minutes of someone's death! We all get judged one day!

jake33
10-11-2006, 07:13 PM
It is pretty disgusting people trying to make a buck right now, I have a ton of Lidle rookie cards, and a game used D-rays hat of his, the rookies are going for $100 right now (and in a month after all the TV camera have left thy'll be a nickle again), that money could go to aiding his family.

I am not going to preach about it but people should show a LITTLE bit of class. If this wasn't in the media at all (including the "heartfelt" tribute that espn will NO DOUBTLY air in the next 24-48 hours) no one would even know.

One last thing, does anyone who ever dies tragically ever a bad person (not saying that Lidle was)? It is amazing how when people die that everyone has something nice to say. I hope when i die at least people won't sugar coat anything and actually say i was a prick.

Oil Can Dan
10-11-2006, 07:37 PM
It is pretty disgusting people trying to make a buck right now, I have a ton of Lidle rookie cards, and a game used D-rays hat of his, the rookies are going for $100 right now (and in a month after all the TV camera have left thy'll be a nickle again), that money could go to aiding his family.

I am not going to preach about it but people should show a LITTLE bit of class. If this wasn't in the media at all (including the "heartfelt" tribute that espn will NO DOUBTLY air in the next 24-48 hours) no one would even know.

One last thing, does anyone who ever dies tragically ever a bad person (not saying that Lidle was)? It is amazing how when people die that everyone has something nice to say. I hope when i die at least people won't sugar coat anything and actually say i was a prick.

I would sell that hat & those cards if I were you. Sell for $100 today then buy back at that nickel you mentioned in a few weeks? Why not? How is doing this disrespectful to the Lidle family?

As for "that money could go to aiding his family", well he earned $17.5M over his career. I expect his family will be fine from a financial standpoint.

I may be coming across as cold, but approximately 6,500 Americans die each and every day. I see no good reason I'm to feel for Corey Lidle more than the other people I never knew. I actually feel worse for the single mother that worked three jobs to put food on the table that died due to a lack of a good medical plan than I do for the rich guy that played a game his whole life.

CollectGU
10-11-2006, 07:43 PM
the rookies are going for $100 right now (and in a month after all the TV camera have left thy'll be a nickle again), that money could go to aiding his family.

I hope when i die at least people won't sugar coat anything and actually say i was a prick.

????While tragic and sad, I don't think money will be an issue, he made $18 million over his career.

suave1477
10-12-2006, 12:19 AM
I think we all need to take a moment out for losing Cory Lidle today in NYC.

Cory Lidle will be missed as a baseball player, it's sad to see one pass on before his time!!!!

I would also like to mention as said before when Kirby passed it is disgusting how people are trying to profit off his death on ebay!!!
I find it funny how you could get an autographed item a day ago for $20 - $30 and now those same items are being bid over $100+

Don't get me wrong Cory was a decent player but not great, he didn't break any records and his career total of games - 82 Games Won / 72 Games Lost - not exactly a Hall of Famer - yet everyone is going crazy to buy his items.

kylehess10
10-12-2006, 10:04 AM
They have video now of the crash that's playing on ESPN. It's very sad to watch

TNTtoys
10-12-2006, 10:27 AM
It looks like the media got this one wrong -- thankfully the plane crash did not kill innocent bystanders as initially reported.

The detail that has seemed to come out between yesterday afternoon and now is that there were 2 people aboard -- Lidle and his flight instructor. They were the only 2 casualties. Lidle was apparently accumulating the hours required for his instrument certification in order to be able to fly home to California. This flight path is apparently a common one, and he was on the last leg of the journey when something went wrong.

I have not seen the footage on ESPN as indicated in an earlier post -- which I would imagine would be disturbing. I am at the moment disturbed by the prices "profiteers" are charging for his memorabilia (which was in fact selling at $10-$20 per signature earlier this week). This reminds me of the flood of Joe DiMaggio memorabilia that hit the market when he passed on... and DiMaggio memorabilia sold for less???

camarokids
10-12-2006, 11:00 AM
[quote=jake33;23396
One last thing, does anyone who ever dies tragically ever a bad person (not saying that Lidle was)? It is amazing how when people die that everyone has something nice to say. I hope when i die at least people won't sugar coat anything and actually say i was a prick.[/quote]
I think that where the saying came from "Only the good die young" .....
As far as people saying good things about people when they pass on , maybe it cuz people realize they are human too and will not live forever and the person that passed wasn't a total prick and did have some good qualities in life . If you treat people like crap and are a total prick to people during your life , I'm sure it won't be forgotten when you die and you'll have your wish . Or worse yet no one will show up for your funeral ! I like this saying "what goes around comes around" !

ham1963
10-12-2006, 04:28 PM
Did anyone see this one
http://cgi.ebay.com/Cory-Lidle-2004-Game-Worn-Game-Used-Cin-Reds-Jersey_W0QQitemZ110043135175QQihZ001QQcategoryZ605 97QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

sylbry
10-12-2006, 05:34 PM
What I don't understand is people who put high buy it nows or high reserves on Lidle's items. I saw an autographed ball for $190. No one is going to pay that. Three weeks from now that ball will be worth $20 max. These people are trying to profit from his death but in the end won't be able to do so because they are just too greedy.

skipcareyisfat
10-12-2006, 06:22 PM
I love the auctions with descriptions that end with "God Bless." Classy touch.