PDA

View Full Version : A lesson for all you single/unmarried collector's out there...

Dewey2007
06-02-2012, 06:22 PM
Saw this tale of caution on Yahoo's Match.com section:

I went to bat for her engagement ring
“My girlfriend and I had been together for about three years, and I was sure she was the one I wanted to marry. Problem was, I didn’t exactly have enough money to get her a good engagement ring. So, in order to raise funds, I put my collection of baseball trading cards on eBay. We’re talking a collection that spanned, like, 20 years, thanks to some cards handed down by my dad. I was totally bummed to part with them because they were so important to me, but I really, really loved this girl. I ended up making more than enough money to pay for a ring. Problem was, when I got down on one knee, she told me that she couldn’t see spending the rest of her life with me. I should’ve stuck with Shoeless Joe Jackson.”
— Owen, 26, Chagrin Falls, OH

Before you sell any game used items to buy a ring make sure she's the one!!

marino13
06-02-2012, 09:04 PM
What a moron was my first reaction.

It takes years to build up your collection and you willing to throw it away on a hunch that she would say yes?

The dude needs help - now that he no longer has his collection or his girl!

commando
06-02-2012, 09:07 PM
What a moron was my first reaction.

It takes years to build up your collection and you willing to throw it away on a hunch that she would say yes?

The dude needs help - now that he no longer has his collection or his girl!

Yeah, especially with collectables hitting recent lows and precious metals being near all-time highs.... Ouch!

jppopma
06-02-2012, 09:55 PM
At least she didn't take the ring and then bail later. Like Commando said, the ring may be a better investment than cards these days.

gingi79
06-03-2012, 11:33 PM
Come on guys! I asked my wife to marry me knowing full well she would say yes but I'm betting he did too. It sucks more that someone he wanted to spend his life with told him he's worthless.

The real story here is how a guy sold his crappy worthless cards for gold and diamonds. (Or maybe it was a Cubic Zirconia in Brass and that's why she said no? )

jppopma
06-03-2012, 11:39 PM
Come on guys! I asked my wife to marry me knowing full well she would say yes but I'm betting he did too. It sucks more that someone he wanted to spend his life with told him he's worthless.

The real story here is how a guy sold his crappy worthless cards for gold and diamonds. (Or maybe it was a Cubic Zirconia in Brass and that's why she said no? )

Maybe she only loved him for his card collection....once he sold it, she just couldn't stay any longer...

jake33
06-08-2012, 02:01 PM
Maybe I missing something, but isn't getting married something to discuss with her first? Just want the thrill of making the surprise question?

In my opinion, there are only 2 things that never get old in a good relationship.

1) The culture of the couple within the relationship - on how they treat each other, what they value, how things are done etc.

2) Good Communication

It looks to me like both were lacking in this case.

MSpecht
06-09-2012, 04:19 PM
Owen ---

There is not alot of upside to your story, EXCEPT better now than 5 or 6 years down the road when there might be kids and serious co-mingled finances involved. Hang tough.