PDA

View Full Version : Show off your Game Used Baseballs...With the Most Character!

frikativ54
06-04-2012, 04:21 AM
After perusing past threads, I thought it would be cool to see people's game used baseballs - not just any ball used in a game, but one with a lot of character. Whether your baseball has a ton of dirt, grass stains, or some other unique feature, post it here. I look forward to seeing what members have. :D

ironmanfan
06-04-2012, 06:59 AM
I know that I've shown this before, but here is a game used ball from 6/14/96 when Cal Ripken Jr. passed Sachio Kinugasa for the "World Record" of most consecutive games played at 2216.

I flew out to KC for the weekend to witness this, determined to get a game ball from this game (well before holograms, MLB authenticion, etc.). Anyways, in one of the early innings, catcher Chris Hoiles hit a foul ball into the stands off Mark Gubicza and I negotiated a deal with the college aged kid who caught it for $50 (mission accomplished!).

As luck would have it, I knew the person who had sponsored Kinugasa's trip to the USA and he asked me and my buddy if we wanted to share a ride back to the hotel after the game....I had Kinugasa (who lives in Japan) sign the ball in the van & subsequently added Cal a few years later...The neat thing was that when Cal signed it, being the perfectionist he is, once he noted that Kinugasa had signed in black ink, didn't want to sign it until he could locate a black ink pen......

I think it's s a safe bet to say that no other game used balls exist from this game that have been signed by both ballplayers...........

http://i88.photobucket.com/albums/k172/whhp72/Game%20Used/bb002.jpg

joelsabi
06-04-2012, 10:58 AM
Does a baseball that hit a batter with the bases loaded give it character? at least it gives the hitter a painful rbi.

ironmanfan
06-04-2012, 11:09 AM
neat ball (ouch!); what is the significance of the R & 24?

thanks

jake33
06-04-2012, 12:11 PM
I am making a video of 5 game used baseballs that I have all authenticated, all with logos. Waiting to get a few of these autographed, but I have video of the pitch it was used in , not that naked eye can see that it is matched for use, but matches the infor for the authentication.

1) Evan longoria - HBP 2007 futures game - had him sign it in detroit in 2012. Thanks evan for flipping the ball and not signing under the logo from the 07 Futures game.

2) JP Howell - 2009 WBC pitch in the dirt to max ramirez

3) JP Howell - 2008 world series gmae 3, HBP eric bruntlett in 9th inning, that HBP ended up being the winning run.

4) Carlos Pena's gold ball from 2009 HRD

5) Matt Joyce's single in the 9th inning of the 2011 all star game

dplettn
06-04-2012, 03:18 PM
Great idea for a thread. Personally, I really enjoy seeing the ball and appreciating the story it tells (beyond just its statistical relevance). Here is a ball that was absolutely scolded for a postseason hit by an elite player. The first picture shows ink transfer from the bat in such a manner that even presents grain.

On another of the ball's panels, there are strong abrasions on the leather's surface, of which I've attached a cropped picture. The abrasions tell a story of the ball's high friction contact with earth.

To those of you who haven't caught the ball collecting bug yet.... do! Balls are a sensationally special thing to collect.

dplettn
06-04-2012, 03:27 PM
This one is an RBI double of another elite player. This particular ball I store upside down... I hope gravity will help me to preserve the dried on dirt/mud.

jsage
06-04-2012, 06:17 PM
Game Used Baseball 2001 World Series - D-Backs vs Yankees - Game 6.
Outstanding use and autographed by Randy Johnson who pitched in the game.
Ball is authenticated by Ralph Nelson - who was the Vice President Umpiringhttp://i1198.photobucket.com/albums/aa458/Jsage1/IMG_2974.jpg.http://i1198.photobucket.com/albums/aa458/Jsage1/IMG_2972.jpg

rdeversole
06-04-2012, 06:29 PM
Transfer of MLB logo from an untreated bat.

http://i129.photobucket.com/albums/p218/ryaneversole/photo-12.jpg

frikativ54
06-04-2012, 06:36 PM
Transfer of MLB logo from an untreated bat.

http://i129.photobucket.com/albums/p218/ryaneversole/photo-12.jpg

If that's ever for sale, LMK. Who hit it and what did it result in? :)

rdeversole
06-04-2012, 06:37 PM
Buster Posey - infield single

frikativ54
06-04-2012, 06:38 PM
Buster Posey - infield single

Sick! I've never seen anything like it before. :D

nycsports
06-06-2012, 08:19 AM
Alex Rodriguez fouled this ball of off his foot, and you can see the black mark on the baseball from his shoe.

dplettn
11-08-2012, 11:29 AM
This Jay Bruce opposite field double was really cool to watch back on MLBTV. The ball was uniquely hit into a wedge under the barrier wall between the field and stands. But the ball ricocheted through the narrow corridor. I believe it is remnants from this corridor shown in the 2nd attached picture. My 2nd “Beaumont Bomber” hit ball from Minute Maid Park, his 114th joins career double number 75 in our hit ball collection. This was the only Jay Bruce hit ball authenticated at Minute Maid Park in 2012.

Buying Joey Votto and Jay Bruce items. I am buying (preferred) and when required by the other party will secondarily consider trading for game used Joey Votto and Jay Bruce items (balls that are Votto hits or Votto HRs, game used bats, etc). If you have such items I’d appreciate to hear from you, even if you are not intending to sell. I am pretty private and don’t post much of my stuff so if you’d like to know what items you might entice from me for an item I’d love you’ll need to start the dialogue. My e-mail is plettner@fuse.net (plettner@fuse.net).

joelsabi
11-08-2012, 01:42 PM
neat ball (ouch!); what is the significance of the R & 24?

thanks

24 was the 24th baseball from the 600 Chase. R was the letter used for home games and A was used for away games, similar to J for when Derek Jeter was chasing 3000.