PDA

View Full Version : What to Do With Fake Items?

cliffjmp33
06-12-2012, 11:31 AM
I'll try to keep it simple as I'm still in the process of going through older memorabilia I bought as a kid, but wanted to get some ideas from other forum members on what they have done with items they have found out to be fake.

To the point, in going through my memorabilia from my youth, I found several of the "authentic" autographs and easily realized they were most likely fakes. My 8 year-old nephew was helping me move some of the boxes around and asked for some of the photos so he could put them on his bedroom walls and door. I told him I'd think about it (mostly because I think my sister-in-law would kill me for giving him "junk"), but it got me thinking, if I do give him the photos, how can I make sure/preserve the fact that these never be passed along in the future as authentic?

As I said earlier, just curious what other members have done with their fakes. I haven't done so yet, but I am leaning towards writing on each photo that they are fake and should not be considered at any point authentic.

joelsabi
06-12-2012, 11:44 AM
I'll try to keep it simple as I'm still in the process of going through older memorabilia I bought as a kid, but wanted to get some ideas from other forum members on what they have done with items they have found out to be fake.

To the point, in going through my memorabilia from my youth, I found several of the "authentic" autographs and easily realized they were most likely fakes. My 8 year-old nephew was helping me move some of the boxes around and asked for some of the photos so he could put them on his bedroom walls and door. I told him I'd think about it (mostly because I think my sister-in-law would kill me for giving him "junk"), but it got me thinking, if I do give him the photos, how can I make sure/preserve the fact that these never be passed along in the future as authentic?

As I said earlier, just curious what other members have done with their fakes. I haven't done so yet, but I am leaning towards writing on each photo that they are fake and should not be considered at any point authentic.

do not give the fakes to your nephew. you dont want him to associate the fakes with you in the past when he knows better.

if you told him the items are fakes now he would wonder why you have them in the first place and you can explain the good and bad side of the hobby you enjoy. you can teach him a lesson for him to avoid otherwise i would toss them or keep them in the closet as a lesson learned.

Jags Fan Dan
06-12-2012, 12:00 PM

If they are glossy photos, can you remove the fake autos by wiping it off with something?

cliffjmp33
06-22-2012, 10:36 PM
Dan and Joel,

Thanks for the advice. I opted to shred the couple items I had. It makes the most sense as no one will be able to pass along that junk. Told my nephew I'd buy him a couple Phillies posters instead and he seemed cool with it.

Thanks again guys.