PDA

View Full Version : BMH ash trees and emerald ash borer

onlyalbert
06-12-2012, 05:18 PM
Brian, I have a sister that has about 12 beautiful and huge ash trees that line the back of her property for shade. She lives in a rural setting, and we are in central IL. She just found out that all of them have been infected with the emerald ash borer (EAB). I was wondering what effect the EAB has had on your business and the acquisition of wood for your bats? I know the EAB only affects the tree under the bark line so I assume the rest of the wood is OK for use but transport is frowned upon. I know this is an odd question, but I'm sure would be interesting to all of us. Has the price of ash gone up?

BMH
07-27-2012, 10:55 PM
We harvest from our own timber lands so the price is a non factor but overall the Emerald Ash Borer has the ability to be devastating to the baseball bat industry. People transporting firewood have done more to move the insect than the bug could have dreamed of. Usually the EAB will only travel about two miles a year. With the help of people it went from Michigan to New York in two years. It is something we are keeping a close eye on but there isn't much we can do about it.