PDA

View Full Version : Bryce Harper vs Mike Trout

5toolplayer
06-13-2012, 04:49 AM
Saw this on PTI yesterday and wanted to see what some of you thought. If you were a GM of a team, and had to build around one player, would it be Harper or Trout???? :D

Manram
06-13-2012, 12:52 PM
Im sure this will be a debate for many years... personally I would choose Trout

gnishiyama
06-13-2012, 01:52 PM
If I was a GM I would prefer Mike Trout but as a fan I would pay more
to watch Harper

AndersonAuthentics
06-13-2012, 02:04 PM
Trout Trout Trout. And no, I'm not biased.

OK, maybe a little bit.

gnishiyama
06-13-2012, 02:19 PM
This is just based on a microscopic sampling I've seen and heard of
Trout but my concern with him is his long-term health based on his
pedal to the metal style type of play. Absolutely nothing wrong with
that but if I were a GM I would be concerned. Not now but maybe in a few years.

I can see Harper being a perennial 40+ HR hitter and that's always
exciting. That blast last night in TOR was unbelievable.

AndersonAuthentics
06-13-2012, 03:25 PM
This is just based on a microscopic sampling I've seen and heard of
Trout but my concern with him is his long-term health based on his
pedal to the metal style type of play. Absolutely nothing wrong with
that but if I were a GM I would be concerned. Not now but maybe in a few years.

I can see Harper being a perennial 40+ HR hitter and that's always
exciting. That blast last night in TOR was unbelievable.

Harper plays with that same intensity though. That's what makes them both special. Harper is much less refined in the OF though, which will lead to more dive attempts/late breaks, so Harper's risk of injury would be greater than Trout's theoretically. Also, hate to beat a dead horse, but you won't catch Trout beating stuff up in the dugout and hurting himself.

Harper definitely has 40+ homer per year potential, but with either player we'll have to wait and see how they develop. Trout has the loudest BP of any Angel player with the exception of Trumbo, routinely cranking out 450+ foot bombs, so Trout may very well develop in to a 25+ homer per year player himself.

Check out Trout's 2 HR game vs Seattle last night. Two pitches that are outside the zone getting crushed. Harper's homer was a blast, but it was a hanger right down the middle (just like the hanger Trout hit for ~400 against Capuano on Monday).

Can't go wrong either way, but Trout is a more well rounded player IMO.

5toolplayer
06-13-2012, 03:29 PM
Getting some excellent FB here. I'm waiting for the harper guys to reply now ;)
I totally see where u are coming from with the way Trout plays the game but Harper does the same thing but just not at the speeeeed Trout does. I think Bryce has been gunned down 3 times this week trying to take a extra base. Nothing at all wrong with that but I don't think Trout gets caught on any of those plays. Mike seems to play at a different speed then everyone else. It would be a shame if MLB does not somehow get BOTH of these guys in the AS game. They both deserve it and the fans deserve to see probably the 2 most exciting players in the game right now. SO GM Jackson selects....with the 1st pick in the draft........

http://i1178.photobucket.com/albums/x369/5toolplayer/eaefb4b01d54943648af8f97a9d4b965-getty-145252261.jpg

5toolplayer
06-13-2012, 03:56 PM
Check out Trout's 2 HR game vs Seattle last night. Two pitches that are outside the zone getting crushed.

Holy smoke..Trout had a 2 HR game last night and I missed it??? Hahaha just busting on u brother ;)

AndersonAuthentics
06-13-2012, 05:04 PM
Check out Trout's 2 HR game vs Seattle last night. Two pitches that are outside the zone getting crushed.

Holy smoke..Trout had a 2 HR game last night and I missed it??? Hahaha just busting on u brother ;)

Ugh, last year. Close enough. Haha

5toolplayer
06-13-2012, 05:06 PM
Got Heeeeeeeeem

yanks12025
06-13-2012, 07:12 PM
Trout, because he's not a punk like Harper.

DJaeger22
06-13-2012, 11:50 PM
Harper all the way... met him on a few occasions and he was very nice every time. Based on ability and skill set I'm pretty biased because I've seen Bryce play a good amount of games and have yet to catch a Trout game.

legaleagle92481
06-14-2012, 09:09 AM
Neither. If I were building a team I would pick Strasburg over anyone else. Pitching wins championships. Many great hitters have won nothing. Ted Williams, Yaz, Banks, Tony Gwynn, Guerrero, Griffey Jr. and Bonds are just some examples of superstar hitters who never won a ring. Trout and Harper are not and will not even be the best players on their own teams for the forseeable future as they have Pujols and Strasburg respectively as teammates.

slab0meat
06-14-2012, 09:30 AM
Neither. If I were building a team I would pick Strasburg over anyone else. Pitching wins championships. Many great hitters have won nothing. Ted Williams, Yaz, Banks, Tony Gwynn, Guerrero, Griffey Jr. and Bonds are just some examples of superstar hitters who never won a ring. Trout and Harper are not and will not even be the best players on their own teams for the forseeable future as they have Pujols and Strasburg respectively as teammates.

Geez, the dumb scenario was between two guys, not a choice "C"... at least play along.

And you don't think "many great pitchers have won nothing"?

But I digress.

Jags Fan Dan
06-14-2012, 11:02 AM
Saw this on PTI yesterday and wanted to see what some of you thought. If you were a GM of a team, and had to build around one player, would it be Harper or Trout???? :D
That's a clown question, bro.:D

5toolplayer
06-15-2012, 06:01 AM
Harper all the way... met him on a few occasions and he was very nice every time. Based on ability and skill set I'm pretty biased because I've seen Bryce play a good amount of games and have yet to catch a Trout game.

Seen Harper in ST, very impressive kid. He'll be a monster when he fills out in the next couple of years. Trout is built like an NFL safety with speed to burn. Not like the typical fast guy wimps like Brett Gardner. I'll see him 1st hand July 22-25 when we fly across country to see the Angels play. Can't wait

5toolplayer
06-15-2012, 06:03 AM
That's a clown question, bro.:D

harper is a punk. Stupid question from the reporter but come on Bryce.

LastingsMilledge85
06-16-2012, 02:03 PM
harper is a punk. Stupid question from the reporter but come on Bryce.
Wait a minute. A month ago you were saying this kid is so mature for a 19 year-old, and now you are calling him a punk?

5toolplayer
06-16-2012, 03:28 PM
Oh Jesus... RAULMONDESI43 decided to bless this thread with yet another baited comment.

Please repost where I said anything about Harper being Mature! Him being a 19 year old kid and doing stupid 19 year old kid things is what that thread was about. Again you come on here and waste my time trying to act like Mr Tough Guy King Hippo. Get a life u clown :eek:

LastingsMilledge85
06-16-2012, 04:47 PM
Oh Jesus... RAULMONDESI43 decided to bless this thread with yet another baited comment.

Please repost where I said anything about Harper being Mature! Him being a 19 year old kid and doing stupid 19 year old kid things is what that thread was about. Again you come on here and waste my time trying to act like Mr Tough Guy King Hippo. Get a life u clown :eek:
I'm not baiting you. Where's my hook and line? I'm just reminding you that a month ago you were telling everyone to ease up on Bryce and showing some support for him, now you call him a punk? Make up your mind.

5toolplayer
06-16-2012, 04:50 PM
Wait a minute. A month ago you were saying this kid is so mature for a 19 year-old, and now you are calling him a punk?

OK show me where I said Bryce was such a mature 19 year old.

LastingsMilledge85
06-16-2012, 04:54 PM
OK show me where I said Bryce was such a mature 19 year old.
Search your post history. You mentioned you were doing stupid stuff, and that we shouldn't expect him to have flaws. Something along those lines. Maybe "mature" was the wrong choice of words, but you were certainly sticking up for this guy as if you knew him. Oh, and "Mr Tough Guy King Hippo" priceless...

OaklandAsFan
06-16-2012, 04:59 PM
woohoo check out golden boy's 0 for 7 with FIVE k's today!! Man guess all his memorabilia just dropped a few hundred bucks :)

5toolplayer
06-16-2012, 05:06 PM
Search your post history. You mentioned you were doing stupid stuff, and that we shouldn't expect him to have flaws. Something along those lines. Maybe "mature" was the wrong choice of words, but you were certainly sticking up for this guy as if you knew him. Oh, and "Mr Tough Guy King Hippo" priceless...

Yes I said Bryce Harper was acting like a 19 year old. Acting like most 19 year olds do. You were trying to hold him to a different standard because he plays the game of baseball. Never once did I mention the word mature. HE SWUNG A BAT, HIT A WALL, THE BAT CRACKED HIM IN THE HEAD. A 19 year old, childish mistake. Yes. Does that mean I think he's the coolest guy on the planet?? No. Does that mean he isn't a punk? No. Stop wasting my time with your "wrong choice of words" garbage.

LastingsMilledge85
06-16-2012, 05:09 PM
Stop wasting my time with your "wrong choice of words" garbage.
Don't post then...

joelsabi
06-29-2012, 02:26 AM
the player who is willing to dress up as Lady Gaga for a rookie haze gets my vote.