Rose 78 Jersey. Dave M..did you authenticate this?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jbsportstuff
    • Mar 2009

Rose 78 Jersey. Dave M..did you authenticate this?

Dave - the seller says that you authenticated the item, but I don't see your LOA with the auction. Did you authenticate this piece? Any thoughts? 70's Reds away gamers are often tough to authenticate.

Thanks,

Jeff
  • jbsportstuff
    • Mar 2009

Re: Rose 78 Jersey. Dave M..did you authenticate this?

Originally posted by jbsportstuff
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/PETE-ROSE-Ci...item4166e58496

Dave - the seller says that you authenticated the item, but I don't see your LOA with the auction. Did you authenticate this piece? Any thoughts? 70's Reds away gamers are often tough to authenticate.

Thanks,

Jeff
    The more I look at this the more I believe that it isn't real. Wilson didn't put a Wilson tag in the neck.

Comment

• CollectGU
      • Nov 2005

Originally posted by jbsportstuff
      The more I look at this the more I believe that it isn't real. Wilson didn't put a Wilson tag in the neck.
      I belive that Wilson did put tags in collar in 1978 for both the Padres, Orioles, and Cubs with the year set tags below in the tail, so perhaps they did it for the Reds as well?

Comment

• sox83cubs84
        Banned
        • Apr 2009

The photo of me in his listing has no connection to my LOAs whatsoever...it's a printout of my page on the link to MEARS staffers from several years ago when I worked there. If he doesn't show the LOA in the listing I'd be suspicious. I cannot recall one way or the other if I ever looked at this piece.

Dave Miedema

Comment

• 1970REDS
          • Feb 2010

Does anyone think the year and set tag looks quite a bit more washed out than the rest of the jersey ?

Comment

• jbsportstuff
            • Mar 2009

Originally posted by 1970REDS
            Does anyone think the year and set tag looks quite a bit more washed out than the rest of the jersey ?
            I did notice that very unusual wear. Plus have you ever seen a Wilson away jersey that has a tag in the neck? I haven't.

Comment

• mook03005
              • Apr 2008

cool bio dave
              Ebay seller: mancaveauctions

Collecting Marlins Game Used jerseys, Jeff Conine,
              250 HR / 250 SB Club Members.

Comment

• Dewey2007
                • Dec 2007

Dave...6'9" & 240...did you play any college hoops back in the day?

Originally posted by sox83cubs84
                The photo of me in his listing has no connection to my LOAs whatsoever...it's a printout of my page on the link to MEARS staffers from several years ago when I worked there. If he doesn't show the LOA in the listing I'd be suspicious. I cannot recall one way or the other if I ever looked at this piece.

Dave Miedema
                sigpicwww.alamedasportsproject.com

Comment

• sox83cubs84
                  Banned
                  • Apr 2009

mook:

Thanks. My first few years with MEARS were among the best hobby times of my life. Too bad it went south eventually.

Dewey:

I've never played basketball on any organized level...in grade school, our gym teacher never taught us HOW to play a sport...he just assumed we knew the rules, let the kids pick sides, threw the ball on to the court and acted as ref. There's no telling how different my life would be if I had been taught how to play before I was a senior in high school...and by then I was too raw and undisciplined to play in any competition level higher than my church's Monday night teens group.

And, of course...you know the old cliche, "White men can't jump?".

Definitely true in my case.

Dave Miedema

Comment

• cohibasmoker
                    Banned
                    • Aug 2005

Originally posted by sox83cubs84

Dave Miedema
                    Wow - what a MUG? Last time I saw a photo like that it was at a Post Office with a "WANTED" caption.

Comment

• sox83cubs84
                      Banned
                      • Apr 2009

Originally posted by cohibasmoker
                      Wow - what a MUG? Last time I saw a photo like that it was at a Post Office with a "WANTED" caption.
                      Believe me, it looks worse now. Yesterday a pit bull ran and hid when he saw me walking down the street.

Dave Miedema

Comment

• earlywynnfan
                        • Oct 2005

The seller just emailed me a scan of a checklist-style LOA with "authentic" checked off, signed by Dave (or by someone named "series of loops," can't tell the difference.)

It looks like you did sign off on this, Dave, in 1991.

Ken
                        earlywynnfan5@hotmail.com

Comment

• sox83cubs84
                          Banned
                          • Apr 2009

Originally posted by earlywynnfan
                          The seller just emailed me a scan of a checklist-style LOA with "authentic" checked off, signed by Dave (or by someone named "series of loops," can't tell the difference.)

It looks like you did sign off on this, Dave, in 1991.

Ken
                          I'd be interested in seeing a copy.

Dave M.

Comment

• commando
                            • Nov 2007

Originally posted by kobe08
                            What a surprise another supposed expert authenticator out there who makes huge mistakes on an expensive item.It's really convenient Dave you can't remember authenticating that junk Rose jersey now you need to see a copy sounds like your spinning it big time. You have made many mistakes on other high end jerseys in the past tha were brought to light later Reggie Jackson A's jersey does that sound right Dave.
                            It sure is nice these days... Being able to type two or three words into Google and getting a world of information and research instantly at your fingertips. Well if you rewind twenty years ago, it was not like that. You had to keep your own records, and if you were lucky, knew a person or two who might have the knowledge you needed -- and you'd place an old-fashioned long distance call to them.

I guarantee you that Dave's personal records and knowledge twenty years ago was right up there with the best -- Lon Lewis, Murf Denny, the Russeks and the Sharons also come to mind....

But what you're saying is akin to comparing the tools a police detective has today versus twenty years ago. You can sit there and point the finger at a detective who could not solve a case twenty years ago, but that same case is easily solved today because of the tools that are available.

Wanting to see a copy of paperwork issued over twenty years ago isn't an unreasonable request, especially considering Dave has looked at literally thousands of jerseys since then.
                            sigpic
                            Anthony Nunez
                            Historian, USFL Houston Gamblers
                            www.Houston-Gamblers.com

Comment

• earlywynnfan
                              • Oct 2005

Hey, Kobe, I see you have 12 posts and no name on any of them. Who are you, and what have you done for the hobby??

Ken

Comment

Working...