PDA

View Full Version : Rose 78 Jersey. Dave M..did you authenticate this?

jbsportstuff
06-13-2012, 09:37 AM
http://www.ebay.com/itm/PETE-ROSE-Cincinnati-Reds-1978-game-used-road-jersey-14-All-tagging-COA-RARE-/280899191958?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4166e58496

Dave - the seller says that you authenticated the item, but I don't see your LOA with the auction. :) Did you authenticate this piece? Any thoughts? 70's Reds away gamers are often tough to authenticate.

Thanks,

Jeff

jbsportstuff
06-13-2012, 11:12 AM
http://www.ebay.com/itm/PETE-ROSE-Cincinnati-Reds-1978-game-used-road-jersey-14-All-tagging-COA-RARE-/280899191958?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4166e58496

Dave - the seller says that you authenticated the item, but I don't see your LOA with the auction. :) Did you authenticate this piece? Any thoughts? 70's Reds away gamers are often tough to authenticate.

Thanks,

Jeff

The more I look at this the more I believe that it isn't real. Wilson didn't put a Wilson tag in the neck.

CollectGU
06-13-2012, 12:45 PM
The more I look at this the more I believe that it isn't real. Wilson didn't put a Wilson tag in the neck.

I belive that Wilson did put tags in collar in 1978 for both the Padres, Orioles, and Cubs with the year set tags below in the tail, so perhaps they did it for the Reds as well?

sox83cubs84
06-13-2012, 03:39 PM
The photo of me in his listing has no connection to my LOAs whatsoever...it's a printout of my page on the link to MEARS staffers from several years ago when I worked there. If he doesn't show the LOA in the listing I'd be suspicious. I cannot recall one way or the other if I ever looked at this piece.

Dave Miedema

1970REDS
06-13-2012, 03:47 PM
Does anyone think the year and set tag looks quite a bit more washed out than the rest of the jersey ?

jbsportstuff
06-13-2012, 04:06 PM
Does anyone think the year and set tag looks quite a bit more washed out than the rest of the jersey ?
I did notice that very unusual wear. Plus have you ever seen a Wilson away jersey that has a tag in the neck? I haven't.

mook03005
06-13-2012, 05:38 PM
cool bio dave

Dewey2007
06-13-2012, 06:11 PM
Dave...6'9" & 240...did you play any college hoops back in the day?

The photo of me in his listing has no connection to my LOAs whatsoever...it's a printout of my page on the link to MEARS staffers from several years ago when I worked there. If he doesn't show the LOA in the listing I'd be suspicious. I cannot recall one way or the other if I ever looked at this piece.

Dave Miedema

sox83cubs84
06-13-2012, 10:44 PM
mook:

Thanks. My first few years with MEARS were among the best hobby times of my life. Too bad it went south eventually.

Dewey:

I've never played basketball on any organized level...in grade school, our gym teacher never taught us HOW to play a sport...he just assumed we knew the rules, let the kids pick sides, threw the ball on to the court and acted as ref. There's no telling how different my life would be if I had been taught how to play before I was a senior in high school...and by then I was too raw and undisciplined to play in any competition level higher than my church's Monday night teens group.

And, of course...you know the old cliche, "White men can't jump?".

Definitely true in my case.;) :p :rolleyes:

Dave Miedema

cohibasmoker
06-14-2012, 07:26 AM

Dave Miedema

Wow - what a MUG? Last time I saw a photo like that it was at a Post Office with a "WANTED" caption.

sox83cubs84
06-14-2012, 04:26 PM
Wow - what a MUG? Last time I saw a photo like that it was at a Post Office with a "WANTED" caption.

Believe me, it looks worse now. Yesterday a pit bull ran and hid when he saw me walking down the street.;) :p :rolleyes:

Dave Miedema

earlywynnfan
06-15-2012, 08:51 PM
The seller just emailed me a scan of a checklist-style LOA with "authentic" checked off, signed by Dave (or by someone named "series of loops," can't tell the difference.)

It looks like you did sign off on this, Dave, in 1991.

Ken
earlywynnfan5@hotmail.com

sox83cubs84
06-15-2012, 11:09 PM
The seller just emailed me a scan of a checklist-style LOA with "authentic" checked off, signed by Dave (or by someone named "series of loops," can't tell the difference.)

It looks like you did sign off on this, Dave, in 1991.

Ken

I'd be interested in seeing a copy.

Dave M.

commando
06-16-2012, 01:35 AM
What a surprise another supposed expert authenticator out there who makes huge mistakes on an expensive item.It's really convenient Dave you can't remember authenticating that junk Rose jersey now you need to see a copy sounds like your spinning it big time. You have made many mistakes on other high end jerseys in the past tha were brought to light later Reggie Jackson A's jersey does that sound right Dave.:eek:

It sure is nice these days... Being able to type two or three words into Google and getting a world of information and research instantly at your fingertips. Well if you rewind twenty years ago, it was not like that. You had to keep your own records, and if you were lucky, knew a person or two who might have the knowledge you needed -- and you'd place an old-fashioned long distance call to them.

I guarantee you that Dave's personal records and knowledge twenty years ago was right up there with the best -- Lon Lewis, Murf Denny, the Russeks and the Sharons also come to mind....

But what you're saying is akin to comparing the tools a police detective has today versus twenty years ago. You can sit there and point the finger at a detective who could not solve a case twenty years ago, but that same case is easily solved today because of the tools that are available.

Wanting to see a copy of paperwork issued over twenty years ago isn't an unreasonable request, especially considering Dave has looked at literally thousands of jerseys since then.

earlywynnfan
06-16-2012, 07:14 AM
Hey, Kobe, I see you have 12 posts and no name on any of them. Who are you, and what have you done for the hobby??

Ken

BostonSportsFan
06-16-2012, 09:16 AM
Hey, Kobe, I see you have 12 posts and no name on any of them. Who are you, and what have you done for the hobby??

Ken

http://www.gameuseduniverse.com/vb_forum/showthread.php?t=43662

Survey says Mike Schultz. I was alerted to this thread this morning by two former forum members both now banned that told me that they personally had emailed the moderating team and Mr. Cavalier well over a year ago with irrefutable evidence that Kobe08 is Mike Schultz the well known bat doctoring seller on ebay that Dave has so graciously pointed out to us in the past for being dirty.

For some unknown reason this guy is still an active member on here and obviously he is now trying to smear Dave due to Dave pointing out his repeated attempts to sell doctored bats over and over and over again.

I have not seen this evidence I can only go on what these two gentlemen have told me.

It certainly makes sense however that Mike is now banging on Dave in this thread.

Perhaps one of the moderators can check into this since apparently it was not done when presented with proof in the past.

BTW, I was also told that this Schultz character had used past forum names that have been banned so that in and of itself is reason to be banned again for registering and using multiple names. Should be pretty easy to solve this one kids.

Joe

jppopma
06-16-2012, 12:42 PM
I love when sellers do a mismatch of terms. In the tittle he claims it to be game worn, but then in the description he puts that it was certified by Dave as being an authentic. Authentic has many different meaning, none of them being game worn.

sox83cubs84
06-16-2012, 01:15 PM
That letter is mine, but whether the jersey is the one I looked at 21 years ago or not is open to question. I honestly can't recall whether that was the jersey I looked at or if the LOA was switched to another jersey. Also, with no Internet in 1991 and far fewer resources to go by, if I made an error, it was because of lack of resources to refer to. The Reggie Jackson that Mark W. has expounded on repeatedly on this site and the MEARS site was also from an early 1990s examination...something Mark never mentioned when he'd take me to task on it. That one was proven to be an error, and it's possible that this one is as well. If it is, I own the error.

Dave Miedema