PDA

View Full Version : Reaction to No Hitter Against Your Team?

stdrwt11
06-19-2012, 10:55 PM
I was out of town when Matt Cain threw a Perfect game against my beloved Astros. I did however get to watch the game. Tonight at the game a friend and I got into a heated debate about this question, how should a fan react when someone throws a perfect game or no hitter against their team and should it be different if you were in attendance?

I would never root against the Astros or for another team to beat them but when I was watching Cain in the 9th the Stros fan in me said to break it up while the baseball fan in me said I want to see the Perfect game. Once it was completed I was mad that it was against my team but glad I got to see it an I tip my cap to Cain because it is such a rare feat. If I were attending a game where my team was being No Hit I would want them to break it up but at the same time to see first hand and to say I attended a game where a pitcher No Hit or threw a Perfect game against any team would be rare and amazing.

In the end I would never root for a Perfect game or No Hitter against my team but at the same time I would appreciate the moment in history if it happened and be glad I saw it rather than just pissed it was my team.

Your thoughts?

xpress34
06-19-2012, 11:05 PM
It depends on the circumstances...

By that I mean that I am always rooting for my team (Rangers and Rockies) which will make this weekend in Dallas another tough one....

If the opposing team has a No-No or Perfecto in the 5th, 6th and 7th innings, I am still rooting for my team to break it up...

If it reaches the 8th, the BASEBALL fan in me now has a vested interest in seeing the historical game of the No-No or Perfecto.

If it reaches the 9th, it gets to the point that I am hoping my team doesn't go for a cheap hit (bunt or whatever) just to break it up as I would then be disappointed in my team for breaking the unwritten rules in that situation.

The same goes for a guy who is one base hit from hitting for the cycle in a game that is already out of reach. Pitch to the guy and give him a fair shot - don't be a jerk and walk him just to keep him from hitting for the cycle.

My only exceptions would be a 1 run game or if it's in a playoff game/game that could get you to the playoffs. Then I'm for my team all the way.

Jags Fan Dan
06-20-2012, 06:44 AM
I have to admit, when it happened to the Reds in the playoffs by Halladay, I was just pissed it was against my team.

TNTtoys
06-20-2012, 01:35 PM
Right after the Johan Santana no-hitter, I talked to a die hard Cardinals fan who was at the game. He told me that he was cheering for the Mets and that it was far more important to see history than to see either his team win or break it up.

In the grand scheme of things, this is just 1 game. At very worst, it is 1 win in the standings out of 162 ballgames. Honestly, I would rather see history myself than see my team win that game. And no to say that simply breaking up a no-hitter on its own doesn't imply a win (more than likely if they only get a hit or two, they will lose, and that would mean nothing for your team).

flota89
06-20-2012, 01:35 PM
When Johan threw his a while back, I was mad for the majority of the game. When it got down to the last few outs and the game was out of reach, I almost wanted to see it happen simply because I have never watched one all the way through. Looking back now, I'm a little angry. That particular game could have ended much differently had Carlos Beltran's foul ball/double been correctly called fair.

jppopma
06-20-2012, 06:51 PM
I must not be a die hard enough fan, or maybe just enjoy good baseball too much. While I always want to cheer on my team, I respect a solid performance or play even if by the other team.

Trust me, I'd want them to make the pitcher work his butt off to earn it! So during, I guess I'd still be cheering for the team...but also for the pitcher keeping the no-no alive. Afterward and reaction would be total respect for the pitcher being able to accomplish it and also being happy to have been able to experience it.

frikativ54
06-20-2012, 07:42 PM
I thought I should weigh in because I'm a big Mariners and Astros fan, and both of my teams have had a perfect game thrown against them this year. With the Humber game, I was there, and while I was rooting for the M's, I had to tip my cap to Humber for a job well done. After the game, he got an ovation from the Mariners fans, which was quite classy, IMO. There's something to be said for witnessing a perfect game in person, even if it's not for your team.

Already having been through one perfect game, I really was rooting for Cain to retire the Astros in order toward the end. I mean, it's always frustrating to see your guys not get hits, but still, a perfect game is baseball history. I was fortunate enough to witness one perfect game in person and watch another on MLB.tv this year. That doesn't happen very often. So, while a loss might have seemed like a big deal at the time, in retrospect, I count myself very lucky. :)

Skizzick
06-20-2012, 08:07 PM
My reaction:

1. >:O

2. >:(

3. :l

4. :)

5. :l

sox83cubs84
06-20-2012, 09:10 PM
I recall Detroit's Milt Wilcox coming within 1 out of a perfect game here in Chicago against the White Sox in 1983. The last hope was popular White Sox pinch-hitter Jerry Hairston. Hairston singled. The crowd overwhelmingly booed. Sox fans valued history, and, in most cases, I would, too.

As weird as this sounds, as a Cubs fan, I haven't had to worry about making that choice since grade school. The last time the Cubs were no-hit was back in 1965, when Sandy Koufax threw a perfect game at them. I believe the Cubs have the longest run of not being no-hit in the Majors currently.

Dave Miedema

trsent
06-20-2012, 11:37 PM
I recall Detroit's Milt Wilcox coming within 1 out of a perfect game here in Chicago against the White Sox in 1983. The last hope was popular White Sox pinch-hitter Jerry Hairston. Hairston singled. The crowd overwhelmingly booed. Sox fans valued history, and, in most cases, I would, too.

As weird as this sounds, as a Cubs fan, I haven't had to worry about making that choice since grade school. The last time the Cubs were no-hit was back in 1965, when Sandy Koufax threw a perfect game at them. I believe the Cubs have the longest run of not being no-hit in the Majors currently.

Dave Miedema

I remember that Milt Wilcox game. Back then I was rooting for Hariston, now I'd root for the prefect game that I've matured.

I believe the Cubs also hold the longest records for not winning a championship of all original sports teams in all sports, including rugby.

hiramman
06-21-2012, 11:47 AM
I had that exact circumstance happen to me recently when Jason Hammel of the Orioles 1-hit my Braves. When it got to the middle of the 7th inning and he still had the no-hitter going we were counting down the batters that we thought might have a chance to break it up. Considering we were already losing 5-0, I told my buddy that if it got to the 9th that I was going to be pulling for the no-hitter. I've seen them on tv, but never in person. Jason Heyward broke it up in the 7th with a clean single, but that was the only hit. I can't imagine seeing my team no-hit another team in person. Now that would be exciting.

sox83cubs84
06-21-2012, 01:28 PM
I believe the Cubs also hold the longest records for not winning a championship of all original sports teams in all sports, including rugby.

You WOULD have to point that out, wouldn't you?;) :rolleyes: :p

Dave M.