PDA

View Full Version : Do you purchase insurance when shipping your items?

costas
06-20-2012, 12:42 PM
I'm getting a package ready to ship with UPS and am thinking of purchasing insurance to cover the value. It's a Tebow game worn jersey that I sold for $3,000.

When I bring this to UPS, do I need to provide them some kind of proof, like a PayPal invoice, that shows the value of the item? And will I be covered the full $3,000 if it gets lost or damaged and I file a claim? Thanks.

BULBUS
06-20-2012, 01:02 PM
You don't have to provide proof of value/purchase price when buying insurance, only if you file a claim.

flota89
06-20-2012, 01:13 PM
I always purchase insurance when shipping game used items, regardless of cost. I just include it in what I charge for shipping.

If something does happen and you have the insurance, you'll need to provide proof of value.

costas
06-20-2012, 01:17 PM
thanks everyone for the suggestions

If something does happen and you have the insurance, you'll need to provide proof of value.

that's where one of my questions falls, if it ends up damaged or lose and I file a claim how do I prove that was the item I shipped and its value? that's why I wanted to know if I need to provide some tangible proof, like an invoice, at the time I ship so that provides proof of the item and value being insured?

flota89
06-20-2012, 01:32 PM
thanks everyone for the suggestions

that's where one of my questions falls, if it ends up damaged or lose and I file a claim how do I prove that was the item I shipped and its value? that's why I wanted to know if I need to provide some tangible proof, like an invoice, at the time I ship so that provides proof of the item and value being insured?

I'm pretty sure they don't make you provide any proof up front ... just in case a claim is made. I've never had to at least.

rdeversole
06-20-2012, 02:26 PM
You don't have to prove what it's worth unless you file a claim after it gets lost or destroyed. UPS recently broke a guitar amp I shipped. I gave them the Paypal receipt for what I sold it for and a repair estimate since it wasn't a replaceable item. That's all it took and they ruled in my favor.... for once.

tom1315
06-20-2012, 06:59 PM
I do when I sell an item. As others said you have to document or prove value if the item is lost or damaged. For me the cost versus piece of mind is well worth it. I too factor in the cost in my shipping charges.

Tom

Go Pack! NC State 1981 graduate

GoTigers
06-20-2012, 07:09 PM
I used to buy insurance from Ups/Fedex for everything.. Then I found out they wont cover "one of a kind items" over $500 even though they will charge you for it. Now I only buy it up to that limit. Over that amount you need an agreement with another insurance co.

cohibasmoker
06-20-2012, 07:13 PM
I'm getting a package ready to ship with UPS and am thinking of purchasing insurance to cover the value. It's a Tebow game worn jersey that I sold for $3,000.

When I bring this to UPS, do I need to provide them some kind of proof, like a PayPal invoice, that shows the value of the item? And will I be covered the full $3,000 if it gets lost or damaged and I file a claim? Thanks.

Will UPS cover a item with a value over $3K?

flota89
06-20-2012, 07:23 PM
I used to buy insurance from Ups/Fedex for everything.. Then I found out they wont cover "one of a kind items" over $500 even though they will charge you for it. Now I only buy it up to that limit. Over that amount you need an agreement with another insurance co.

I'm curious ... would a game used item be "one of a kind." for example, you could easily estimate worth of an item. Let's use an Albert Pujols bat for example. While each bat is unique, you could make a case that the average market value for them is a certain amount. And when you have enough of something to make an average, it's could be argued that the item is unique but not one of a kind.

GoTigers
06-20-2012, 08:26 PM
From what I was told by multiple managers, they would not cover an expensive game used collectible. From what I was told, this stems from FedEx loosing on of Jimi Hendrix guitars and having to pay a boatload to cover it. Ive shipped bats worth much more than 1k mulitple times without insurance due to this. But you do need a 3rd party policy.

flota89
06-20-2012, 08:28 PM
From what I was told by multiple managers, they would not cover an expensive game used collectible. From what I was told, this stems from FedEx loosing on of Jimi Hendrix guitars and having to pay a boatload to cover it. Ive shipped bats worth much more than 1k mulitple times without insurance due to this. But you do need a 3rd party policy.
Thanks for the information. I was unaware of that. That's a little sneaky of UPS/FedEx to sell something they refuse to back up.

GoTigers
06-20-2012, 08:29 PM
What really gets me is they will gladly charge you for 10k in coverage and not tell you its a worthless policy. If you have a fedex slip laying around just read the back. Its is explained there and i believe it even applies to art and antiques.

GoTigers
06-20-2012, 08:48 PM
What really gets me is they will gladly charge you for 10k in coverage and not tell you its a worthless policy. If you have a fedex slip laying around just read the back. Its is explained there and i believe it even applies to art and antiques.

flota89
06-20-2012, 11:00 PM
Does anyone know the USPS policy on this? It looks like UPS and FedEx are bad options for expensive items.

trsent
06-20-2012, 11:24 PM
Does anyone know the USPS policy on this? It looks like UPS and FedEx are bad options for expensive items.

USPS is fine to use for high value shipments. The higher the value, it often is more ecconimicial to use USPS Express Mail as insurance is cheaper with Express Mail than Prioirity Mail.