PDA

View Full Version : Rays to don fantasy TBTC uniforms

sox83cubs84
06-21-2012, 12:58 PM
The Tampa Bay Rays will be wearing a "fantasy" TBTC uniform on June 30 when they host Detroit. The Tigers will be clad in a previously used style...the Trammell/Whitaker era road pullovers. No such uniform style as the Rays are wearing ever existed in Tampa/St. Petersburg pro baseball lore, but the style's color scheme seems to be fitting for the time being represented. There's lots of similarity to the 1978 Padres uniforms in this style, and other elements are borrowed from other 1970s uniforms. I wonder what the Rays collectors on our site, like David Cope, think of this style. While it does resemble a 1978 Padres uni, it has a much more soothing color combination than the Pads' old brown and yellow threads.

Dave Miedema http://l1.yimg.com/bt/api/res/1.2/w0h4GDspSJSMmsdZKj3eAA--/YXBwaWQ9eW5ld3M7cT04NTt3PTYzMA--/http://media.zenfs.com/en/blogs/sptusmlbexperts/joemaddonrays79.jpg

mook03005
06-21-2012, 01:35 PM
Very 70s indeed ....Veeck would approve:p Do you think any gamers will be listed after the game on MLB auction?

rdeversole
06-21-2012, 01:44 PM
Those look pretty smooth to me!

camarokids
06-21-2012, 03:18 PM
Looks pretty cool! I don't collect the TBTC stuff, but wouldn't mind owning one of these, if the price is right.

Kind reminds me of the 1970's or early 80's Atlanta Braves jersey colors.

In the early 70's there was a hockey team called the Suncoast Suns that played in St. Pete, seeing the TBTC jersey is giving me some serious devaju. But I cannot quite place it.

tbone90
06-21-2012, 03:41 PM
Reminds me of the senior softball league that plays at the community park on Sunday mornings...but maybe that's because Madden is modeling the new duds.

slab0meat
06-21-2012, 03:44 PM
Very 70s indeed ....Veeck would approve:p Do you think any gamers will be listed after the game on MLB auction?

Per the link posted on Jersey Central:

The Rays have found a solution, designing a hypothetical uniform from 1979. They'll debut the Disco Demolition (http://mlb.com/video/play.jsp?content_id=9937619&c_id=mlb)-era jerseys against the Tigers on June 30, then auction them off for charity.

http://mlb.mlb.com/cutfour/article.jsp?content_id=33652846&c_id=tb

tony433433
06-21-2012, 03:55 PM
Too early to call these the "Tampa Bay Rays presented by Pepsi Light" jerseys? (or just Pepsi Lights for short)

tony433433
06-21-2012, 03:56 PM
Too early to call these the "Tampa Bay Rays presented by Pepsi Light" jerseys? (or just Pepsi Lights for short)

http://www.flickr.com/photos/65516705@N00/7415059754/

My bad, the hyperlink was not entered in the last post.

MLB~NUT
06-21-2012, 05:47 PM
Those Rays uni's are HORRIBLE!!!:eek: :eek: :eek:

cubbs1232
06-21-2012, 07:20 PM
As a Rays fan/collector I'm still on the fence. I'm not sure if I love them or hate them but I know I'm buying one.

yanks12025
06-21-2012, 07:52 PM
Those are ugly and personally a joke. Seriously how many uniforms does a team need to wear in a year. The Yankees have used the same style for ever, while the rays have used a million different styles.

frikativ54
06-22-2012, 06:39 AM
I like the idea; it's always fascinating to see how current teams conceptualize the past. Unfortunately, I won't be buying one, as it doesn't really fit in with my collection. But thumbs up to the Rays for a creative idea. :D

mook03005
06-22-2012, 11:33 AM
I like the idea; it's always fascinating to see how current teams conceptualize the past. Unfortunately, I won't be buying one, as it doesn't really fit in with my collection. But thumbs up to the Rays for a creative idea. :D

I agree with you...this is a Concept design of the past...no more no less..Its great to see them do this however I think they should bring back nickle beer night!!:D

jake33
06-22-2012, 04:03 PM
The Rays have done a throwback game every year since 2005. They auction the jerseys online with proceeds going for cancer research. How many jerseys to they need to wear? They changed up their throwback game every year, but this will be a mainstay. They are supposed to be "ugly" and at least garner talk about them as well as helping out a noteable cause.

The Rays raise over $20,000 a year doing this auction. regardless of the styling, it really isn't a bad thing to do.

That auction is the only time that a back up catcher's uniform will hit $500.

Even if they only did this to profit off of, I have no problem with that. Why is tha tlooked upon as a bad thing, aslo considering this team needs all the extra revenue they can get.

jake33
06-22-2012, 04:20 PM
The Rays have used a Million different styles? They have 2 alternates and a home and road. 4 uniforms is a lot, but not outlandish since the front logo is all the same on all 4 jerseys and they only wear one regular style on field game hat. Three complete uniform designs in 11 years is a lot though, yes I agree with that.

Most teams change their uniforms, not everyone can be outdated like the yankees and coast on their history and reputation and natural revenue stream. The MEts even have to have tons of uniforms to gain market share in dollars.

I am sure if the Rays started in the early 1900's in new York, they wouldn't have to change their uniforms a whole lot either.

I am acutally suprised the yankees even wear helmets and moved on from flannel uniforms. What about Steinbrenner's group pushing that horrible trend that started in the late 1990's with purple Yankee retail jerseys and orange NY hats. oh and gotta love the yankee pinstripe jerseys with "JETER" on the back, since they historically wear their names on their uniforms. That is even worse than the team wearing multiple uniforms. It is like saying "We are too conservative to change our uniforms, but you fnas who are lesser than us, go ahead as long as your check clears."

I am also suprised Steinbrenner didn't have a prerequisite of allowing Yankee fans to purchase and wear Yankee hats and jerseys and while being cleanly shaven.

Put the New York Yankees in Portland, Maine in 1908 and they would have moved 3-4 times with 3-4 uniform/name changes and would be hanging out with the Pirates in the basement of the standing and revenues. The success of the Yankees is largely based on the city, not the team. Not that ownership didn't do some great things, but it roots back to the always potentially high cash flow of that team via the market they are in, even when they were in rough economic times in the late 1960's.

slab0meat
06-22-2012, 06:40 PM
The Rays have used a Million different styles? They have 2 alternates and a home and road. 4 uniforms is a lot, but not outlandish since the front logo is all the same on all 4 jerseys and they only wear one regular style on field game hat. Three complete uniform designs in 11 years is a lot though, yes I agree with that.

Most teams change their uniforms, not everyone can be outdated like the yankees and coast on their history and reputation and natural revenue stream. The MEts even have to have tons of uniforms to gain market share in dollars.

I am sure if the Rays started in the early 1900's in new York, they wouldn't have to change their uniforms a whole lot either.

I am acutally suprised the yankees even wear helmets and moved on from flannel uniforms. What about Steinbrenner's group pushing that horrible trend that started in the late 1990's with purple Yankee retail jerseys and orange NY hats. oh and gotta love the yankee pinstripe jerseys with "JETER" on the back, since they historically wear their names on their uniforms. That is even worse than the team wearing multiple uniforms. It is like saying "We are too conservative to change our uniforms, but you fnas who are lesser than us, go ahead as long as your check clears."

I am also suprised Steinbrenner didn't have a prerequisite of allowing Yankee fans to purchase and wear Yankee hats and jerseys and while being cleanly shaven.

Put the New York Yankees in Portland, Maine in 1908 and they would have moved 3-4 times with 3-4 uniform/name changes and would be hanging out with the Pirates in the basement of the standing and revenues. The success of the Yankees is largely based on the city, not the team. Not that ownership didn't do some great things, but it roots back to the always potentially high cash flow of that team via the market they are in, even when they were in rough economic times in the late 1960's.

blahblahblahblahyankeesblahblahblahblahblahblahbit terblahblahblahblahbitterbitterblah blahblahblah

They HAVE worn almost a million jerseys. No one's talking about JUST this year. Count em up, you come to somewhere in the 900,000's. Bitter about the Yankees much?

jake33
06-23-2012, 08:19 AM
I am not bitter about the Yankees, I grew up a yankee fan in the 1980's and early 1990's with the Don Mattingly years. But that team does excel mostly because of the city they are located in.

Rays regular on field game uniforms

Original logo --> road, home and black alternate

Green Logo 2001-2007 - Home sleeved, home sleeveless, road sleeved, road sleeveless, and green alternate

2008-present 4 total styles home, road, navy, light blue

That totals to 9 jerseys, not 900,000.

jake33
06-23-2012, 08:22 AM
More than anything, I think it is a little ignorant to bash somethign without knowing the full story.

You bashed a uniform that has multiple purposes, the major purpose is to raise money for cancer research.

That is the culture of this forum though, a site where people grow courage to say what they want with little accountablility because they can hide behind their computer screen.

Dach0sen0ne
07-02-2012, 08:40 PM
Any idea when these might hit MLB.com auctions?

Number13
07-16-2012, 07:37 PM
Any idea when these might hit MLB.com auctions?

They are on there.

Number13
07-16-2012, 07:40 PM
Debating on getting the Boroski uni. Not sure if 250 is worth the uni for a coach, but it is starting 50 buck cheaper than what the Rays are asking for just his other everyday jerseys.

frikativ54
07-17-2012, 03:17 PM
Helmets and a jersey from this game on MLB.com Auctions:

http://auction.mlb.com/cgi-bin/ncommerce3/CategoryDisplay.

frikativ54
07-17-2012, 03:19 PM
Weird - link didn't display correctly. Try the following:

http://auction.mlb.com/cgi-bin/ncommerce3/ProductDisplay?prrfnbr=188735885&prmenbr=33072944&aunbr=189082595

Jersey

http://auction.mlb.com/cgi-bin/ncommerce3/ProductDisplay?prrfnbr=188735962&prmenbr=33072944&aunbr=189082672

Helmet