PDA

View Full Version : Russel Athletic Tag Question

otismalibu
06-21-2012, 04:02 PM
Picked up what I'm assuming is an old NBA retail warmup jacket, but have never seen any Sixers gear (game used or retail) being made by Russell during this time frame. Sixers wore a similar style to this jacket from 1978-79 thru 1982-83.

Could this tag fall into that range? Has anyone else seen Russell Athletic NBA retail items from this time frame? I'm only familiar with the 80s Sand-Knit NBA retail pieces.

http://i209.photobucket.com/albums/bb110/otismalibu/RA76ers1.jpg

sox83cubs84
06-21-2012, 04:17 PM
Picked up what I'm assuming is an old NBA retail warmup jacket, but have never seen any Sixers gear (game used or retail) being made by Russell during this time frame. Sixers wore a similar style to this jacket from 1978-79 thru 1982-83.

Could this tag fall into that range? Has anyone else seen Russell Athletic NBA retail items from this time frame? I'm only familiar with the 80s Sand-Knit NBA retail piece

I'm not sure how far back those collar tags go in that style. The red and blue R was first used on the primary manufacturer tag during 1983, so this could conceivably be from the tail end of that style. Like you, though, I've never seen a Russell game item from that era of 76ers garb...just Wilson/Pearson.

Dave Miedema

otismalibu
06-21-2012, 04:29 PM
Thanks for the info.

Yeah, from mid 70s to mid 80s, I think all Sixers game gear (uniform & warmups) was made by Wilson.

My 1983 NBA AS game program has an ad for Medalist Sand-Knit NBA retail items. Can't imagine this jacket being much older than that, unless there was some overlap with the licensing.

Starter jackets and Sand-Knit retail. Can find those ads in most all 80s NBA programs or issues of HOOP. Don't recall ever seeing a Russell ad for NBA retail jerseys or warmups.