PDA

View Full Version : Astros Authentics

BamaHater
06-22-2012, 04:08 PM
Anyone been to a Houston Astros game lately and seen the selection at the Astros Authentics booth? I'm going tonight to the game and wanted to know if they had anything good for sale. Last time I went earlier in the season they had the same old stuff scrub jerseys from the past few seasons and the 1990 shoulder rainbow jerseys they have been selling for the past year now.

frikativ54
06-22-2012, 04:12 PM
I've heard that they have some sales on Flashback Fridays. From what I gather, it's definitely worth attending. Good luck and LMK what you pick up. :)

hrvatwill
06-22-2012, 07:03 PM
Last time I was there, they had a game used jersey of Craig Biggio from the game in which he gathered his 3,000th hit. Not sure how many he wore that day, and I wasn't interested in it at the time, and so didn't ask questions.

BamaHater
06-22-2012, 07:40 PM
I'm at the game and it is crazy. $50 all gamers minus tbtc $35 bat boy and $20 bp. People had stacks of jerseys. Took almost 1 hour to check out.

yankees24
06-22-2012, 07:56 PM
Anyone know if there are still any Clemens jerseys available at Astros Authentics, if so how much are those going for?

Astros1994
06-23-2012, 01:36 AM
I'm at the game and it is crazy. $50 all gamers minus tbtc $35 bat boy and $20 bp. People had stacks of jerseys. Took almost 1 hour to check out.

They also had jackets for $25, lineup cards and game used balls for 50% off,
caps and t-shirts $5 and bats over $100 half off.

Astros1994
06-23-2012, 01:41 AM
Anyone know if there are still any Clemens jerseys available at Astros Authentics, if so how much are those going for?

They did have a Koby Clemens jersey at the Flashback Friday sale for $50 but there were no Roger Clemens jerseys. Earlier in the season they had a couple of team issued Roger Clemens jerseys out. I think they were going for somewhere in the $850 to $995 range.

AstrosGU
06-23-2012, 01:44 AM
Of course I missed the game tonight.......anyone pick up anything?

Astros1994
06-23-2012, 02:00 AM
Of course I missed the game tonight.......anyone pick up anything?

Hi AJ,

I picked up 16 jerseys but I did miss out on the Alou, Tejada and the two Wagners that they had for $50 each.

Scott

AstrosGU
06-23-2012, 02:15 AM
Unbelievable.....

frikativ54
06-23-2012, 02:46 AM
Hi AJ,

I picked up 16 jerseys but I did miss out on the Alou, Tejada and the two Wagners that they had for $50 each.

Scott

Any Bagwells? Did the Wagner jerseys show heavy use? What about the Alou?

eGameUsed
06-23-2012, 08:02 AM
It was a good sale. I picked up a handful. One Wagner was pretty clean, but was a unique style. The other Wagner was pretty hammered! The Alou and Tejada both show great use as well. This sale had a nice selection of styles and colors, and a lot of different patches. I think there will be a lot more people wearing Astros jerseys around the stadium this year :) . Just in time for the big uniform change in 2013.

BamaHater
06-23-2012, 11:02 AM
I got to the sale late and it was a zoo. Took me about 1 hour to check out. Picked up a 1999 road bat boy 2001 white star alt bat boy with flag patch, prototype cool base jersey from I'd say 2006. It's all black with Astros on front in tackle twill. It has the regular jock tag not the cool base one. Finally got a 1986 tbtc team issued blank. I missed out on a 2012 Jackie Robinson Day jersey. By the time I saw the guy in front of me with one they were all gone. Great sale. I'd really dent have too much time to look. It was grab what I saw I liked before someone else took it.

Astros1994
06-23-2012, 11:47 AM
[quote=BamaHater;296667]prototype cool base jersey from I'd say 2006. It's all black with Astros on front in tackle twill. It has the regular jock tag not the cool base one.

BamaHater,

According to Mike Acosta the black prototype jersey is actually from 2002. It was designed to be both a BP and regular game jersey. All the ones I have seen have the 0065 wash tag. A few do not have any velcro but most have a strip only on one side.

Scott

BamaHater
06-23-2012, 12:27 PM
[quote=BamaHater;296667]prototype cool base jersey from I'd say 2006. It's all black with Astros on front in tackle twill. It has the regular jock tag not the cool base one.

BamaHater,

According to Mike Acosta the black prototype jersey is actually from 2002. It was designed to be both a BP and regular game jersey. All the ones I have seen have the 0065 wash tag. A few do not have any velcro but most have a strip only on one side.

Scott
Good info. I just assumed it was a cool base based on the fabric and the underarm gussets like the current cool base jerseys. It's a unique jersey and i'm happy to add it to my collection.

yankees24
06-25-2012, 03:49 PM
They did have a Koby Clemens jersey at the Flashback Friday sale for $50 but there were no Roger Clemens jerseys. Earlier in the season they had a couple of team issued Roger Clemens jerseys out. I think they were going for somewhere in the $850 to $995 range.

thanks should have been more specific about Roger Clemens jerseys. wow $850 to $995 for a team issued? are those MLB Authenticated? if not, how does one know whether or not those were just left over blanks customized to players sizes jerseys?

Stefano61
06-26-2012, 10:13 AM
I was in Houston in june for a couple of games and the Tristar Show...the Game Used booth is absolutely great, I picked up a jacket for $25 and a couple of authenticated bats (Michael Bourn & Jordan Schafer)...most (if not every) bat broken during the game goes on sale at the end of the same game, and when they come home you find on sale the bats broken on the road trip.

Astros1994
06-26-2012, 03:51 PM
thanks should have been more specific about Roger Clemens jerseys. wow $850 to $995 for a team issued? are those MLB Authenticated? if not, how does one know whether or not those were just left over blanks customized to players sizes jerseys?

Last night at the game there was a 2006 red home Roger Clemens jersey for $950. I have never seen an MLB Authenticated game used or team issued Roger Clemens jersey at the Astros Authentics kiosk. Since 2009 when Astros Authentics started I have bought five game used Roger Clemens jerseys from them. I have talked to Mike Acosta many times about their Clemens jerseys. He has stated that the Astros do not customize extra jerseys. On the team issued ones it comes down to how much you trust the source. Even MLB Authenticated has issues. Last night I bought 2 MLB Authenticated Astros 1986 TBTC jerseys. Neither player played in the game but MLB has them in the database as game worn. While that may be their defination of game worn it is not mine.

Buster23!
07-15-2012, 05:41 PM
What is the price range on GU bats and jerseys at the booth?

Stefano61
07-24-2012, 10:28 AM
all the game jersey from past seasons were going for $ 50, the batting practice jersey for $ 35 (all very marginal players). The bats of 2012 regulars I saw ranged from $ 85 (Wallace) to $ 175 (Schafer, JD Martinez...) but they gave you a 15% discount, than there were the Bagwells and the Biggios but I didn't inquire.

Astros1994
07-24-2012, 04:11 PM
all the game jersey from past seasons were going for $ 50, the batting practice jersey for $ 35 (all very marginal players). The bats of 2012 regulars I saw ranged from $ 85 (Wallace) to $ 175 (Schafer, JD Martinez...) but they gave you a 15% discount, than there were the Bagwells and the Biggios but I didn't inquire.

The $50 jerseys are only available when they are having a sale. They usually start at $85 and go up from there. Last night they had about a dozen Carlos Lee jerseys on sale for $150 each. The 15% discount is for season ticket holders only and applies only to regular price items. If you received the discount on a $50 jersey it was by mistake.

mbenga28
07-26-2012, 12:28 PM
Have any of you purchased items from Astros Authentics that ended up becoming questionable, or are their items rock solid legit? Thinking of having a friend pick something up when he goes to a game in a couple of weeks. Thanks!

Astros1994
07-26-2012, 03:56 PM
Have any of you purchased items from Astros Authentics that ended up becoming questionable, or are their items rock solid legit? Thinking of having a friend pick something up when he goes to a game in a couple of weeks. Thanks!

All items from Astros Authentics are rock solid legit in that they come direct from the Houston Astros. If you assume all the jerseys are game used that is not the case. Some of the jerseys are game used, some from spring training and others are team issued never worn. A few have had the name on the back removed or are from players who never actually played for the team. Earlier this year they were selling a Hodges #85 jersey. Hodges is one of the BP pitchers. I have only heard of one problem with a bat. A gentleman bought a Bagwell bat from them and then took it to have Bagwell sign it at Minute Maid Park. Bagwell stated that it was his bat but that Brad Ausmus had used it. Bagwell gave the man one of his game used bats.

mbenga28
07-27-2012, 06:01 AM
All items from Astros Authentics are rock solid legit in that they come direct from the Houston Astros. If you assume all the jerseys are game used that is not the case. Some of the jerseys are game used, some from spring training and others are team issued never worn. A few have had the name on the back removed or are from players who never actually played for the team. Earlier this year they were selling a Hodges #85 jersey. Hodges is one of the BP pitchers. I have only heard of one problem with a bat. A gentleman bought a Bagwell bat from them and then took it to have Bagwell sign it at Minute Maid Park. Bagwell stated that it was his bat but that Brad Ausmus had used it. Bagwell gave the man one of his game used bats.

Thank you. When you say it is not the case that all jerseys are game worn, have there been any scenarios where a jersey was sold as game used but was in fact team issued?

Astros1994
07-27-2012, 02:20 PM
Thank you. When you say it is not the case that all jerseys are game worn, have there been any scenarios where a jersey was sold as game used but was in fact team issued?

At first when Astros Authentics started in 2009 basically all of the jerseys were listed as game used. For the average fan that just wanted a jersey it was not an issue but for the collector it was. Since 2010 the jerseys are sold as Astros jerseys. When asked they will state some jerseys are game used and some are team issued. Other than the MLB authenticated jerseys they do not guarantee a specfic jersey is game used. If you seen many jerseys the game used ones stand out.

mbenga28
07-27-2012, 02:41 PM
At first when Astros Authentics started in 2009 basically all of the jerseys were listed as game used. For the average fan that just wanted a jersey it was not an issue but for the collector it was. Since 2010 the jerseys are sold as Astros jerseys. When asked they will state some jerseys are game used and some are team issued. Other than the MLB authenticated jerseys they do not guarantee a specfic jersey is game used. If you seen many jerseys the game used ones stand out.

Thanks. I'm specifically looking for an Andy Pettitte jersey. Since it would be pre-2009 and if there is no MLB Authentication hologram, does this means all of his jerseys are listed as game used, even the unworn issued ones?

Astros1994
07-27-2012, 08:35 PM
Thanks. I'm specifically looking for an Andy Pettitte jersey. Since it would be pre-2009 and if there is no MLB Authentication hologram, does this means all of his jerseys are listed as game used, even the unworn issued ones?

None of the Pettitte jerseys would be listed as game used. They would be Astros jerseys direct from the team. The Astros no longer designate jerseys as to game use. That is left up to the buyer to determine. There is no price differance between a used jersey and an issue jersey. The last time I recall seeing what I believe to be a game used Pettitte jersey was April 2010. Since then I have only seen issued jerseys.

mbenga28
07-27-2012, 08:57 PM
None of the Pettitte jerseys would be listed as game used. They would be Astros jerseys direct from the team. The Astros no longer designate jerseys as to game use. That is left up to the buyer to determine. There is no price differance between a used jersey and an issue jersey. The last time I recall seeing what I believe to be a game used Pettitte jersey was April 2010. Since then I have only seen issued jerseys.

Thanks. Are there any tips or suggestions I should pass along to my friend on how to determine if a jersey is only issued from lightly worn (for other players) when he goes to the Astros Authentics booth? Would asking Mike Acosta help any, or would he just tell my friend to do one's own research?

Astros1994
07-27-2012, 11:11 PM
Thanks. Are there any tips or suggestions I should pass along to my friend on how to determine if a jersey is only issued from lightly worn (for other players) when he goes to the Astros Authentics booth? Would asking Mike Acosta help any, or would he just tell my friend to do one's own research?

I am sure Mike Acosta would help. However, your friend would need to get to the Astros Authentics kiosk right after the gates open. Mike is usually only there for the first 10 to 20 minutes. At the game tonight there were three forum members that I know of at the Astros Authentics kiosk who would most likely help your friend find a game used jersey. He could ask Andrew or James (the two brothers who work there) if there are any collectors there who could help him. Since team issued jerseys and lighty worn jerseys usually do not show any wear the easiest way to tell them apart is by the feel of the fabric. The Astros team issued jerseys tend to feel stiff and the wash tags are crisp. For a jersey from the last five years or so they also inspected by stickers on the wash tag. The lightly used jerseys feel softer from having been washed at least once.

yankees24
07-28-2012, 09:41 AM
Hi Astros1994, I'm thinking of contacting Mike Acosta about a Clemens jersey. you mentioned in an earlier post you saw a team issue one at the Astros Authentics kiosk. are team issue all that's left or are there also game worn Clemens jerseys for sale?

I also read in another thread Clemens removes his jocktags. is that a sure way indicator that it's game worn, or are there other attributes that indicate game worn usage? thanks.

AstrosGU
07-28-2012, 03:18 PM
Yankees24 - Feel free to email me for some more info on Clemens Astros jerseys.

Astros1994
07-29-2012, 04:03 AM
Hi Astros1994, I'm thinking of contacting Mike Acosta about a Clemens jersey. you mentioned in an earlier post you saw a team issue one at the Astros Authentics kiosk. are team issue all that's left or are there also game worn Clemens jerseys for sale?

I also read in another thread Clemens removes his jocktags. is that a sure way indicator that it's game worn, or are there other attributes that indicate game worn usage? thanks.

I do not know if the Astros have any other Clemens jerseys in inventory. They usually only put out one Clemens jersey at a time and only put out a different one when the old one sells. Mike Acosta is the one to ask.

There are many stories about Clemens removing the tags from his jerseys. I do not know about the other teams but with the Astros I have seen game use on jerseys with and without the tags. I have also seen what appears to be an issued jersey without the tags. In the past I have asked Mike Acosta about this and he stated that Clemens did pitch in jerseys with and without the tags. He did not know the reason for this. On Clemens game used Astros jerseys other than normal use the two things I have noticed they all seem to be size 52 and many have some sort of stain at the end of the sleeve.

yankees24
07-30-2012, 12:08 PM
I do not know if the Astros have any other Clemens jerseys in inventory. They usually only put out one Clemens jersey at a time and only put out a different one when the old one sells. Mike Acosta is the one to ask.

There are many stories about Clemens removing the tags from his jerseys. I do not know about the other teams but with the Astros I have seen game use on jerseys with and without the tags. I have also seen what appears to be an issued jersey without the tags. In the past I have asked Mike Acosta about this and he stated that Clemens did pitch in jerseys with and without the tags. He did not know the reason for this. On Clemens game used Astros jerseys other than normal use the two things I have noticed they all seem to be size 52 and many have some sort of stain at the end of the sleeve.

Thanks Astros1994. if they're accessible, do you and other members here who own Clemens Astros games think you might be able to show some photos of what you have? and I read awhile back, I think it was on an auction site, that Clemens hand writes "22" on his back collar. is that also a consistent thing with his game jerseys?

Texstros
07-31-2012, 02:40 AM
I have a few. Contact info below

Stefano61
07-31-2012, 09:52 AM
The $50 jerseys are only available when they are having a sale. They usually start at $85 and go up from there. Last night they had about a dozen Carlos Lee jerseys on sale for $150 each. The 15% discount is for season ticket holders only and applies only to regular price items. If you received the discount on a $50 jersey it was by mistake.

they gave me a 15% discount on a Schafer bat, probably because I bought another bat the night before at a full price and, maybe, because I had a long way to go to get to the stadium (from Italy)...the guys there were the nicest you can meet.

frikativ54
07-31-2012, 10:12 AM
they gave me a 15% discount on a Schafer bat, probably because I bought another bat the night before at a full price and, maybe, because I had a long way to go to get to the stadium (from Italy)...the guys there were the nicest you can meet.

Glad to hear of your positive experience. That's cool that you came to MMP all the way from Italy. I hope to visit your country someday, hopefully sooner rather than later. :)

BamaHater
08-09-2012, 08:08 PM
Any idea if they are having their flashback Friday sale again tomorrow? I plan on going to the game and might get there at opening just in case.

Insomniac186
08-11-2012, 12:19 PM
If anyone has any turn back the clock team-issued caps they can part with in 7 1/4 or 7 3/8, please email me!!!

Number13
08-19-2012, 01:46 AM
Does anyone know if they are going to have anymore sales this season? Looking to pick up a few "Ski" jerseys and need some help.
Thanks

legaleagle92481
08-22-2012, 01:14 AM
Do they still have any Biggio stuff? Its a longshot I know but he is from my town originally so i always wanted to add something of his. Best I ever saw was a hit baseball though which isn't my cup of tea.