PDA

View Full Version : 1979 Willie Stargell Jersey - Hunt Auctions

Dewey2007
06-23-2012, 10:31 PM
I had a question about this 1979 Stargell professional model jersey that is being offered in the current MLB All-Star Fanfest Live Auction next month.

http://www.huntauctions.com/live/imageviewer.cfm?auction_num=37&lot_num=396&lot_qual=

The listing says "worthy of significant mention" is the outline of a "Stargell Star" that was removed from the upper left chest area. I know Stargell gave out stars to players to wear on their hats but I cannot remember ever seeing Stargell or any other player wearing a star patch on their jersey during the '79 season. Was this worn for one game or part of the season? Granted it was a long time ago so I was wondering if anyone remembers a patch like the one mentioned being worn?

I sent a question to HA asking them if they have any photographic evidence of Stargell wearing a patch like this during the referenced year. I couldn't find any pics on the usual sites of Stargell wearing a patch but thought I'd ask the Pirates experts on the forum for their feedback too.

Thanks,
Dewey

sox83cubs84
06-23-2012, 10:48 PM
Dewey:

I'm not aware of any jerseys with the stars, either, but I don't see it as being that significant. Everything else on the jersey looks good (at least from the photos).

Dave Miedema

Dewey2007
06-24-2012, 12:12 AM
Thanks Dave!

I guess what's possibly signifcant, to me at least, is that it could show: a) it was never worn by Stargell; or b) it was worn but altered by having a star added and removed and this is not being mentioned. The fact that the auction house thinks the star is signifcant but does not give a reason why is odd especially on the jersey of a HOFer.

Did the Pirates regularly recycle jerseys to the minor leagues in late 70s & early 80s? Could this be the reason for the star patch?

The jersey is up to $6,500 so some bidders feel comfortable with it. Hopefully Hunt Auctions can shed more light on the star and its significance.

Dewey:

I'm not aware of any jerseys with the stars, either, but I don't see it as being that significant. Everything else on the jersey looks good (at least from the photos).

Dave Miedema

sox83cubs84
06-24-2012, 03:01 PM
Thanks Dave!

I guess what's possibly signifcant, to me at least, is that it could show: a) it was never worn by Stargell; or b) it was worn but altered by having a star added and removed and this is not being mentioned. The fact that the auction house thinks the star is signifcant but does not give a reason why is odd especially on the jersey of a HOFer.

Did the Pirates regularly recycle jerseys to the minor leagues in late 70s & early 80s? Could this be the reason for the star patch?

Minor league recycling was the norm for the Pirates in that era. The Pirates first added NOBs to their jerseys in 1979, and, from there through the mid-1980s, there are more examples in the hobby with the NOB removed or restored than there are of jerseys with original NOBs.

Dave Miedema