PDA

View Full Version : What would you trade for ...

Dach0sen0ne
06-29-2012, 12:17 PM
Cool article about trading milestone items to teams.

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20120627&content_id=34014004&vkey=news_mlb&c_id=mlb

OaklandAsFan
06-29-2012, 12:28 PM
if you ask me those media relations people came across and a bunch of a#$holes. Makes me not want to deal with them at all should I end up with a HR ball that they want back.

tigerdale
06-29-2012, 12:32 PM
That is a pretty cool article.........interesting.

marino13
06-29-2012, 12:39 PM
The worst tactic I have seen - Alex Rodriguez' security.

During the chase of 600th HR, Alex wanted back all the HR baseball from 590-599. When it happened at Yankee stadium, stadium security would get the fan aside. Next came, two GIANT who represent Alex's security team.

At first, they would be nice about the pending trade - "Alex want this ball back. He is willing to trade a couple signed baseball and so forth for it."

A couple of them liked the trade and a couple of them didnt.

To those who didnt like the trade and demand for something else - here is the exact quote (I was there when one of my buddy got the baseball)

"This ball will have no value whatsoever once it leaves the stadium. So you can get something for it or you have nothing of value in your hands."

:mad:

yankees506
06-29-2012, 03:04 PM
Last year in April I was at a yankee game when robinson cano came up to ba t late in the game having already hit one home run in the game. I was just about to leave when they announced him due to bat, I walked to behind the rf stands on the field level and bang! The ball lands ten rows in front of where im standing and hits a man right in the mouth off of a bounce. After the paramedics check him out I became part of my own search and rescue, I offered him $200 and I now own robbie cano's 124th carrer hr. I have a video that shows the man celibrating with his wife with ball in hand and a photo I took with him shortly there after. In this case the ball was worth more to me than robbie :)

emann
06-30-2012, 12:15 AM
if you ask me those media relations people came across and a bunch of a#$holes. Makes me not want to deal with them at all should I end up with a HR ball that they want back.

Agreed.

I was also surprised by this quote "Major League Baseball will authenticate a ball only if it returns to the team's possession."

Isn't the rule they always go by is that they need to see the item "used by the player" before they will authenticate it? So, they won't holo a ball when caught by a fan, but will holo it an hour later when a team rep successfully pries it away from the fan. :mad:

xpress34
06-30-2012, 09:40 AM
What a DOUCHE BAG this guy sounds like:

"It's just a plain ball to any fan, but to the player, it means a lot more," said Indians guest services supervisor Rik Danburg, who serves as Cleveland's chief negotiator. "When you don't get the ball, then you start making them feel guilty and say, 'It's a shame that Jim Thome will have every ball except No. 603. It's a shame that he won't be able to show his grandchildren that ball and it'll be in [your house] instead of in his trophy case.' Then they start feeling guilty and they give it up to me."

In other words, the fans have NO appreciation for the ball and I'm such a shit heal, I'll just Guilt them out of it.

His statements give me NO desire to EVER go to see Cleveland at home.

The Reds don't sound much better:

"It's not the fan's baseball," said Reds director of media relations Rob Butcher, who handles Cincinnati's negotiations. "That's how we look at it, at least. It has all the value in the world to the player who hit it. Most people are really good about it and give it back for an autographed ball or bat. But some fans think they're going to become famous and they hold these guys hostage."

Doesn't EVERY team announce that balls leaving the playing field DO become the property of the fan who retrieves it? I do agree with his comment that some people think they just hit the Lotto though.

If their comments are indicative of the attitude of most MLB teams to their fans - and what they think of their fans appreciation for the game, then they can go screw.

I don't think the article painted MLB or the teams in a very good light when it comes to retrieving items from fans or (as stated earlier) the authentication process - the comment about not authenticating when a fan has the item, but as soon as it becomes the teams property it gets authenticated. That's BS and it also derails the whole idea of MLB Authentication and their process.

Just my .02

- Smitty

OaklandAsFan
06-30-2012, 03:34 PM
honestly it makes me want to spend time and try and catch a milestone baseball in Cincy or Cleveland and have another GU ball in my pocket and switch it out and make a deal while videotaping the whole thing then expose the truth after they think they got what they want.

jppopma
06-30-2012, 10:16 PM
Really shows how much these teams care about their fans. Sickening.

xpress34
07-01-2012, 03:33 AM
Really shows how much these teams care about their fans. Sickening.

They don't care about the fans... it's about the $$$ so they can continue to pay these outrageous contracts they keep offering...

gnishiyama
07-02-2012, 10:21 AM
As a fan this is definitely not a feel-good article. These media relations
people clearly need some media training themselves. Think what you want
privately but to say these things on record is pure stupidity and insulting
to the fans.

godwulf
07-02-2012, 01:41 PM
I think a lot of the problem is, these guys are making representations to the fans that may or may not be true. Maybe the player does want his umpteenth homerun ball, and maybe he doesn't. I want to hear it from the horse's mouth. (No steroids joke intended.)

If, instead of trying to strong-arm or shame somebody into giving up a baseball with some lame sob story about empty trophy cases, they were to simply arrange for a quick meet between fan and player, where one human being asks the other for his ball back, and the player decides and makes clear how much, if anything, it is worth to him, then the deal would either be made or it wouldn't, and everybody could just go their own ways.

If the player can't take five minutes out of his day to meet the fan and talk to him, and requires that a team rep, as part of his job, does it all for him, screw him - he can live without that particular souvenir.

sox83cubs84
07-02-2012, 04:27 PM
My response would depend upon the player who hit it and how I was approached by team personnel. For most Cubs or White Sox players, I'd be more than willing to work with them. Ditto rookies and veterans I like. The guys who have personally offended me over the years in varying ways (like Thome) would never see it, though. The same for players with publicized attitude problems. And too much pressure from overzealous team reps would likely cause me to become more uncooperative, as well. I've caught/retrieved 14 game HRs over the years, but never grabbed one that the plyaer wanted back.

Dave Miedema

happyyoungster
07-02-2012, 04:35 PM
It's about time an article is run that exposes the true colors behind this little process. A few of us on this site can state, 1st hand, the encounters we've had during these negotiations.

Many of you vilified me (on this very site) for my negotiations with Marlins "minor leaguer" Chris Coghlan. Almost, as if you were there in person, to witness our exchange. I tried not to take it personal, but, I'll admit...it was hard. Especially, after so many "lapped-up" whatever the media decided to spew in your direction. I'll get over it someday...but, I beg those with single-minds: don't be so quick to judge. On the flip-side, I've made trades with teams that treated me with a little dignity and respect. For them, it went very well. It's funny how a little thoughtful consideration goes a long way.

Back to the original point: this article won't do these people any favors, that's for certain.

yankees506
07-02-2012, 04:56 PM
for an average fan a signed bat and ball is a great deal for a plain baseball. especially when you take into account how much the teams charge for autographs at the stadium team shops. however when a collector makes the catch it should be a different story. If any of us would catch significant home run baseball of our favorite player the team security would be in for a huge shocker.

godwulf
07-02-2012, 06:26 PM
At Chase Field, whenever a Diamondbacks player hits a home run, a team rep comes and offers the fan in possession of it the opportunity to have it signed by the player. It's not mandatory, of course, just a service they offer. For a ball that a player might want back, of course, a different process would go into effect.

When it comes to a ball that would be really historic and potentially worth a lot of money - like a player's 500th HR - I would think teams and players would understand that even an ardent fan is rarely going to be moved by offers of an autographed ball, bat and jersey. If they tossed in a batting helmet, spikes and a fielding glove, you're still talking about a nice little collection of GU items vs. a potential five- or six-figure payday. I mean, Hell, I'm as big a fan of my team as I know, but speaking frankly and honestly, I am not going to try proving it to anybody by handing back a chance to pay off my mortgage. (My wife would kill me, for one thing. I'm serious, she's Scots-Irish, and would do it.)

On the other hand, I'd give back just about any other kind of ball for a handshake with the player.

slambam
07-02-2012, 08:49 PM
Depends who it is, how much I like or dislike them. Honestly, I'd ask for the moon if I were to catch Pujols' 500 HR, and it would have to be cash since that's what he left St Louis for (yes, I am bitter). And it's not like it cost me anything to get, so I'd rather let it sit in a safe deposit box for years than give it to him for chump change or equipment. If it was somebody I respect like Miguel Cabrera, Chipper Jones, Ryan Howard I'd be much more lenient in giving it back.

gnishiyama
07-04-2012, 11:49 AM
If the player can't take five minutes out of his day to meet the fan and talk to him, and requires that a team rep, as part of his job, does it all for him, screw him - he can live without that particular souvenir.

+1000

Skizzick
07-04-2012, 03:53 PM
Remember the guy that caught Jeter's 3000th last year, he got a pretty good deal in the end, but waaay short of the $1 million they said the ball would fetch at auction. Honestly, if it were me and I caught a huge milestone, I'd want to meet the player, demand cash (50% of market value), GU equipment, and guaranteed tickets to the team's next World Series. If not, I'd walk out the door. It only dawns upon a few people that the player on the receiving end of that deal doesn't give two s#!ts about the fan who makes about .0001% of their salary. If you really want the ball, pay up or shut up, I say.

tella27
07-04-2012, 04:14 PM
Remember the guy that caught Jeter's 3000th last year, he got a pretty good deal in the end, but waaay short of the $1 million they said the ball would fetch at auction. Honestly, if it were me and I caught a huge milestone, I'd want to meet the player, demand cash (50% of market value), GU equipment, and guaranteed tickets to the team's next World Series. If not, I'd walk out the door. It only dawns upon a few people that the player on the receiving end of that deal doesn't give two s#!ts about the fan who makes about .0001% of their salary. If you really want the ball, pay up or shut up, I say.

What happens if its a Cubs player? You would be waiting along time for these tickets.. But I guess the Cubs trade away anyone good long before they get close to HOF numbers these days.