PDA

View Full Version : David Ortiz Photomatch vs Yankees

gameused
10-15-2006, 07:31 PM
I have photomatched a David Ortiz Rawlings red handle bat used vs the Yankees.

I received the bat a couple of weeks after the Yankees series in August where the Red Sox lost five straight games, "Boston Massacre II"

I ordered a getty photo of Ortiz holding a Rawlings red handle from a game on August 21st and the number 34 on the top of the bat and some distinct marks on the barrel match up nicely.

Ortiz used a Rawlings red handle on August 18th to hit his 43rd HR off Mariano Rivera and on August 20th he hit his 44th off Ron Villone.

Could this be a HR bat? If you can direct me to any photos of Ortiz from those games I would greatly appreciate it!

Thanks, Bobby

indyred
10-16-2006, 10:00 AM
Love seeing these photomatches with pictures. You have some great one's. Nice job finding that shot of the Papi bat....

gameused
10-16-2006, 12:08 PM
Indyred,

Thanks, It's nice that we can finally obtain getty photos! The 8X10 getty photo was ordered from jjgulino@tampabay.rr.com and is crystal clear and detailed, when you look at the smaller image on getty you cant really see all that detail.

Best Regards, Bobby

indyred
10-16-2006, 01:39 PM
I've just made a second order to that getty images seller. The photos are outstanding, as you can tell on your Ortiz photo. You can really see the detail once you get the pictures in hand. I was able to match a helmet and have couple more items i'm working on. Any tips on taking pictures of the photo's. I always get such a glare off the glossy finish. I'll post some of mine when I get all my photos done.

gameused
10-16-2006, 04:55 PM
I had the photo under a flourescent light and held the camera at an angle with the flash. It came out pretty clear.

worldchamps
10-17-2006, 04:50 PM
I like your Ortiz bat, it looks great. But I don't think it is the same in the photo. There appears to be a big scuff to the right of Ortiz on the barrell in the photo, but not on your bat.

Either way it is a really cool collectable.

Bill

MVP
10-17-2006, 05:11 PM
Take a look at the "4" from 34 on the barrell ends...In the photo it looks like the left part of the"4' curves out and on your bat it looks like the left part of the 4 curves in. There also appears to be a ball mark next to "ORTIZ" on the barrel but not on yours...What do you think? Just an observation.

Henry

kingjammy24
10-17-2006, 06:15 PM
it's odd; there are some definite similarities yet there are also some noticeable differences. it's hard to be certain either way. it may be the same bat. i can see some identical markings. yet there some other markings on the bat in the photo that don't appear on bobby's bat. can some markings disappear? i think i may see a slight, previous imprint of a ballmark near ortiz's name in the bottom photo.

http://img170.imageshack.us/img170/5638/ortizyu5.jpg

rudy.

sportscentury
10-17-2006, 09:53 PM
Bobby,

I'm sorry, I just don't think your bat is the one in the Ortiz photo. Very nice bat, though.

Reid

gameused
10-18-2006, 03:48 AM
Thanks for all of your comments on the Ortiz bat.

If any of you have ordered getty photos you know the detail and clarity is far better than that photo I took of Ortiz holding the bat. When I look closely at the 8X10 image that I have from getty I can see the number 34 is written exactly as the bat I have, the number 3 is the same and the number 4 has the exact same curves.

I took a photo of the barrel and there is a white ballmark near the Ortiz stamped name, If you look at the getty photo it appears that ballmark is really visible, my guess is that the sunlight or the combination of the sunlight and his white jersey makes it standout more.

If you think about it, what are the odds of the distinct barrel marks and the number 34 on the top of the bat matching up, what I mean is, when I hold the bat up in the exact angle of the getty photo it all matches up perfectly, barrel marks and placement of the number 34, not to mention the bat was received a couple of weeks after the Yankees series.

It's the bat in the getty photo, I would bet my game used collection on it.

Thanks, Bobby

sportscentury
10-18-2006, 08:20 AM
If you think about it, what are the odds of the distinct barrel marks and the number 34 on the top of the bat matching up, what I mean is, when I hold the bat up in the exact angle of the getty photo it all matches up perfectly, barrel marks and placement of the number 34, not to mention the bat was received a couple of weeks after the Yankees series.

Bobby,

The 3s (and the 4s) don't look different to you? The 3 looks distinctly different to me. Players often number their bats in lots and it really wouldn't be that unusual for bats to be numbered very similarly (in terms of placement, writing style, color, thickness, etc.). I've seen George Brett and Rickey Henderson knobs numbered almost identically. There appear to be a lot of differences to me, I'm just using this one (the 3s) as an example. I'm not saying that it's not the same bat ... it just doesn't appear to be (to me) from the photos. But I'm sure that you can see things in the original photo that are not coming through in the scans. It's a killer bat - and if it's photomatched, all the better. Nice find.

Reid

skipcareyisfat
10-18-2006, 08:38 AM
Bobby,
Great bat, even if it isn't the one in the picture. Maybe you should try getting a 16x20 or 11x14 of the photo for a larger view. Good luck.
Jason