PDA

View Full Version : Cal Ripken, Jr. 1991-1997 Louisville Slugger Game Used Bat on Mastro

ripkengamers
10-16-2006, 06:38 AM
Something strikes me funny about this bat....................I've owned many Ripken bats and I don't ever recall seeing any post 1991 LVS P72's of Cal Ripken having this strange script for his name especially without the "Jr" appended to it.................I've only seen "Cal Ripken" without the "Jr." only on his early vintage '81-83 model bats and on his Rawlings bats. Anyone have more insight?????

ripkengamers
10-16-2006, 06:40 AM
Forgot to provide the URL for the bat. Here it is:

http://www.mastroauctions.com/index.cfm?action=DisplayContent&ContentName=Lot%20Information&LotIndex=63509

ironmanfan
10-16-2006, 07:13 AM
Dan...Thats the H&B facsimile signature for Cal Ripken SR (who also had a contract with H&B). Could it be a factory error? This same bat was in another auction (AMI ?) recently as well.

ironmanfan
10-16-2006, 07:30 AM
For comparison purposes, the top bat is a Ripken Sr signature model from his coaching days (1969-72 era). The RIPKEN bat on the bottom is a pre-contract game bat of Senior's from the late 1950's.

ironmanfan
10-16-2006, 07:32 AM
Sorry..forgot scan as well

kingjammy24
10-16-2006, 02:18 PM
the bat is being consigned from someone at mears. bushing perhaps?

http://www.mearsonline.com/auctions/items.asp

there are 14 bids on it so far. is a cal ripken sr. bat really worth $600?

rudy.

ironmanfan
10-16-2006, 02:38 PM
Especially a Cal Ripken Sr bat with 1991-97 labeling. I've never seen any indication that Cal Jr. used bats with his father's contract signature (unless of course a factory error was made ALTHOUGH you would think that Taube, Mears, etc. would have made mention of that if in fact they even noticed).

sportscentury
10-17-2006, 07:19 AM
Dan...Thats the H&B facsimile signature for Cal Ripken SR (who also had a contract with H&B). Could it be a factory error? This same bat was in another auction (AMI ?) recently as well.

Bill is correct. It was a factory error - they used the wrong stamp. It was made for Ripken (and game used by him), per John Taube. A unique Ripken bat, without question.

Reid

mr.miracle
10-17-2006, 03:37 PM
Bill is correct. It was a factory error - they used the wrong stamp. It was made for Ripken (and game used by him), per John Taube. A unique Ripken bat, without question.

Reid

Reid:

If you talked to John, did he indicate whether or not he had any idea if this was a one of a kind type of thing or were there were a number of bats that were eroneously made with this stamp? Any way to know that conclusively?

Thanks

sportscentury
10-17-2006, 10:12 PM
Reid:

If you talked to John, did he indicate whether or not he had any idea if this was a one of a kind type of thing or were there were a number of bats that were eroneously made with this stamp? Any way to know that conclusively?

Thanks

Hi, Brett...

John and I traded a few emails. He did not say that it is a one of a kind, but surely it is an unusual bat. John's a very accessible guy ... you should feel free to contact him (www.gameusedbats.com (http://www.gameusedbats.com)). Let us know if you learn more about the bat. It may be one of the rarest Ripken gamers out there (If Bill and Dan haven't seen it before, then that alone tells you how rare it is). I have emailed Brian Marren at Mastro about the bat, too, but haven't yet heard back from him.

Reid

brianborsch
10-17-2006, 11:23 PM
Now does rarity matter in GU collecting? I mean say you get a GU bat that a particular player was trying and didn't like it. That would be rare because that player would never use the type of bat again. Would that be worth money if that player was desirable?

Yankwood
10-18-2006, 01:42 PM
I think the answer to that is, if you collect a certain player you may want one of each type that he used. That's what may make a certain item more valuable. An example of that is the Bobby Murcer Adirondack bat currently being auctioned by Jim Caravello. I have heard that Murcer never liked Adirondacks and didn't use them often. That makes them even more rare and possibly worth more. The other school of thought might be, if you want one of an item that a certain player uses, you may want the one he is known by. I hope this isn't confusing but that's the way I look at this situation.

mr.miracle
10-18-2006, 05:22 PM
Hi, Brett...

John and I traded a few emails. He did not say that it is a one of a kind, but surely it is an unusual bat. John's a very accessible guy ... you should feel free to contact him (www.gameusedbats.com (http://www.gameusedbats.com)). Let us know if you learn more about the bat. It may be one of the rarest Ripken gamers out there (If Bill and Dan haven't seen it before, then that alone tells you how rare it is). I have emailed Brian Marren at Mastro about the bat, too, but haven't yet heard back from him.

Reid

Reid and forum members:

John Taube responded to my inquiry regarding the number of bats that are stamped incorrectly. He said this is very uncommon and he personally has not seen this in a Ripken model before. His thought was that perhaps it was one order somewhere between 12 -24 total bats that might have been shipped with the incorrect stamping but he of course is not completely certain. In any case, it appears to be a very rare bat with the Ripken Sr. stamping from the factory.

Thanks

earlywynnfan
10-23-2006, 01:38 PM
They just modified the write-up.

Ken

ripkengamers
10-23-2006, 02:27 PM
Here's the email I received regarding the description update to the Ripken bat:

DANIEL,
You have been sent this email because our records indicate that you have bid on this lot.
Lot Number 938, Cal Ripken, Jr. 1991-1997 Louisville Slugger Game Used Bat, has had its description modifed from the catalog.
Please note: The barrel brand on this bat is that of Cal Ripken, Sr. The bat was struck in error by Louisville Slugger. Cal Sr's. factory ordering records have no reference of any P72 models being shipped to him during his active or coaching career. The only bats shipped to Cal Sr. in the 1980's and 1990's were H29 fungo bats.

You can view this lot on our website at http://www.mastroauctions.com/index.cfm?action=DisplayContent&ContentName=Lot%20Information&LotIndex=63509
If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact us.
Thank You
Mastro Auctions Inc

ironmanfan
10-23-2006, 03:48 PM
I suppose they forgot to send me a thank you card for providing this information for them....

CollectGU
10-26-2006, 05:26 PM
Anyone know why it was pulled?

ironmanfan
10-26-2006, 06:31 PM
My suspicion is (and it's only that, a suspicion) once they discovered that it was actually a bat with a Ripken Sr contract signature and no real evidence (that I've ever seen) that Cal EVER used a bat with his father's contract signature, they did the right thing & pulled it. If they knew it was his father's contract signature from the start, they would have have publicized that.

ironmanfan
01-30-2007, 11:47 PM
I know this thread is a few months old but wanted to follow up with this forum that I did have the pleasure of sitting next to Cal at his public autograph signing at "Baseball's Best 2007" show this past weekend in Baltimore & he did tell me that he does recall getting bats from LVS with his father's contract signature (though it was a rare occurence).