PDA

View Full Version : Gary Carter

dirtyla2000
07-05-2012, 03:35 AM
this week at "Montreal Expos Memorabilia"
on face book is Gary Carter. My tribute to the kid. What a man and role model.

coxfan
07-05-2012, 06:26 AM
I totally agree. I read carter's autobiography and was impressed with what a fine fellow he was. He was obviously profoundly affected by his mother's death when he was middle-school age.

In his autobio, he spoke of how much he valued and appreciated baseball fans and was thus happy to sign autographs for anyone. ( By contrast, his teammate K. Hernandez in his book ridiculed middle-aged auto-seekers, saying they needed to "grow up," and that he often refused to sign for them.)

gingi79
07-05-2012, 11:48 AM
FWIW, when he came back to Long Island to manage the Long Island Ducks (just prior to his last coaching job in Florida) he signed nothing, even for kids. Instead he gave out Baseball cards with an autopen signature and an apology that he couldn't respond to all autograph requests (The same thing his fan club mailed back to request seekers through the mail I am told)

I witnessed this on 5 separate occasions through the season he was here. Does anyone have any info on why he changed his signing habits late in his career?

sox83cubs84
07-05-2012, 02:59 PM
gingi:

That's not his first change in his approach to signing autographs. Along around 1985, he decided that any post-1984 baseball cards of him to be signed be accompanied by a donation of $25 per card payable to the Leukemia Society of America (the disease that killed his mother). He continued to sign older cards and other items for free.

Gotta agree with dirtyla...Carter was a heckuva guy, and was taken from us far too soon.

Dave Miedema

dirtyla2000
07-05-2012, 03:14 PM
I had no problem sending a donation to his charity for an autograph. I wish more athletes would do it. Its a win win situation.Carter carried himself with the upmost dignity on and off the field.Not too many athletes could ever say that. Any feedback on my Carter gamers and memorabilia would be appreciated.' MONTREAL EXPOS MEMORABILIA' on facebook.

dirtyla2000
07-05-2012, 07:51 PM
while we are on the subject of "the kid" Reggie Jackson told sports illustrated that he didnt think Carter deserved to be in the hall. Jackson is getting nasty in his old age. He also goes against Blyleven, A ROD, Rice and Sutton. He is totally off when it comes to Carter,the rest is up to you guys.

gingi79
07-05-2012, 09:16 PM
while we are on the subject of "the kid" Reggie Jackson told sports illustrated that he didnt think Carter deserved to be in the hall. Jackson is getting nasty in his old age. He also goes against Blyleven, A ROD, Rice and Sutton. He is totally off when it comes to Carter,the rest is up to you guys.

Reggie has always had a big mouth and he backed it up on the field to get away with it. Gary Carter deserves to be in the Hall. I think the biggest problem is that there are so many players to make you scratch your head as deserving now.

He better get used to the borderline clean guys, I think the message has been sent that anyone who is connected to Steroids is on the Sh&^ list. The Hall of Better than Average is going to get a lot fuller in the coming years