PDA

View Full Version : Ewing jersey opinions

legaleagle92481
07-07-2012, 01:36 AM
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Patrick-Ewing-Game-Used-New-York-Knicks-1992-93-Road-Jersey-/320940042480?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4ab98468f0

Real?

sox83cubs84
07-07-2012, 01:43 PM
It looks like an NBA Commemorative Collection jersey...the NBA equivalent of MLB's Score Board jerseys a few years earlier. Tags are proper in design, but the 4" extra length is a concern to me...Ewing normally took +6" extra length on his Knicks gamers.

Dave Miedema

legaleagle92481
07-07-2012, 05:48 PM
thanks dave i really appreciate it!

ChuckFoPrez
07-10-2012, 01:19 PM
I agree w/ Dave on the +4 vs. +6 length, but it's not a commemorative jersey as Champion would put a production number on the second tag:

http://sphotos.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-snc7/164086_482328809590_3453626_n.jpg

It might be a team issued blank made into a Ewing, that's my best theory.

sox83cubs84
07-10-2012, 02:15 PM
I agree w/ Dave on the +4 vs. +6 length, but it's not a commemorative jersey as Champion would put a production number on the second tag:

http://sphotos.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-snc7/164086_482328809590_3453626_n.jpg

It might be a team issued blank made into a Ewing, that's my best theory.

There were two issuances of the NBA Commemorative Collection jerseys. The one you show is from the second release. The first release did not carry the production number on the exclusive tag nor did it carry the large NBACC tag. The first group is much harder to identify as being retail, usually boiling down to a variance in sizing (like Ewing); NOB font (MJ, Pippen) or positioning of the NBA logo (Charles Barkley).

Dave Miedema

ChuckFoPrez
07-11-2012, 01:13 PM
Hmmmm...interesting. I'll have to add that in my mental notes for the future. Thanks much :)

trsent
07-12-2012, 02:56 AM
There were two issuances of the NBA Commemorative Collection jerseys. The one you show is from the second release. The first release did not carry the production number on the exclusive tag nor did it carry the large NBACC tag. The first group is much harder to identify as being retail, usually boiling down to a variance in sizing (like Ewing); NOB font (MJ, Pippen) or positioning of the NBA logo (Charles Barkley).

Dave Miedema

I don't think the Ewing jersey is a Commemorative Collection jersey - I just think there were a lot of pro-cuts made that year. No one labeled them "Commemorative Collections" until this thread I'm pretty sure.

sox83cubs84
07-12-2012, 01:57 PM
I don't think the Ewing jersey is a Commemorative Collection jersey - I just think there were a lot of pro-cuts made that year. No one labeled them "Commemorative Collections" until this thread I'm pretty sure.

I guess we agree to disagree on what to call them, then.

Dave M.

trsent
07-12-2012, 02:06 PM
I guess we agree to disagree on what to call them, then.

Dave M.

Dave, they weren't sold to the public as Commemorative Collection. They were sold as pro-cuts. The Commemorative Collection jerseys were sold with a big patch on them as Commemorative Collection jerseys.

You can make up whatever term you want to call them, but they are both pro-cut style jerseys just one had a big ass patch on it that read Commemorative Collection and the others didn't.

sox83cubs84
07-12-2012, 07:58 PM
Joel:

All I know is, when they first came out in 1992, people who dealt in them indicated they were an NBA Commemorative Collection Issue. Further, I have written about these, between this site, MEARS and SCD multiple times over 20 years, and this is the only one of those mentions that drew disagreement as to their origins.

Until proven otherwise (if ever), NBA Commemorative Collection jerseys is what I was told they were by dealers who stocked the product when they came out, and what I will continue to refer to them as.

Dave M.

trsent
07-13-2012, 03:07 AM
Joel:

All I know is, when they first came out in 1992, people who dealt in them indicated they were an NBA Commemorative Collection Issue. Further, I have written about these, between this site, MEARS and SCD multiple times over 20 years, and this is the only one of those mentions that drew disagreement as to their origins.

Until proven otherwise (if ever), NBA Commemorative Collection jerseys is what I was told they were by dealers who stocked the product when they came out, and what I will continue to refer to them as.

Dave M.

Dave, no one ever called the pro-cut jerseys without the patches "Commemorative Collection" jerseys. Only the ones with the CC patch were ever called this. Why would someone call a jersey a CC jersey when they started using that patch years later? In 1992-1992 when we bought and sold those jerseys, we never heard the expression "Commemorative Collection" we just called them pro-cuts as that is what they were.

Geez, you wrote articles back then using those expressions? You made it up yourself, because those of us who were buying those pro-cuts back then never heard of such an expression until they started using those patches down the road and even then they still made pro-cuts without those patches - Like all the Upper Deck Authenticated Michael Jordan jerseys? No one ever called those Commemorative Collection jerseys (except for the few that had that patch).

Could you post a link to your vintage articles about this? I am really confused.

The 1993-1994 jersey that pictures were posted of were made after 1993-1994. The 1992-1993 Ewing being asked about was a pro-cut made in 1992-1993. This is how you are confusing the discussion. The CC jerseys were made after the fact while the original pro-cut jerseys were made in the same year they were worn by the players. They have made pro-cut jerseys from at least 1989-1998 if my memory serves me right. No one every called them Commemorative Collection because they were pro-cuts.

Don't get worked up over this - You know I love you like a brother from a different set of parents, but these two jerseys are similar but totally different how they were released and classified.

jppopma
07-13-2012, 05:25 PM
Oh no, not again....

trsent
07-16-2012, 02:14 AM
Dave, I got a phone call tonight from a friend who told me to eat my words as you are right and I'm wrong in this discussion, so here goes...

I eat my words!

I guess these jerseys came framed with a plaque that read "Commemorative Collection" and many were removed from their frames, such as the one in this discussion.

I was told the retail pro-cuts didn't hit stores until 1993-1995 even though UDA had pro-cuts in 1992-1993 but they weren't sold to the public for a year or two after.

sox83cubs84
07-16-2012, 04:58 PM
No prob, Joel...

Dave M.

sox83cubs84
07-28-2012, 09:25 PM
It's up on the Bay again...still no bids, though.:)

Dave M.