PDA

View Full Version : Plunkett Lot - From Ebay

Krsoneus
07-07-2012, 07:27 PM
Jim Plunkett game used lot ended today on ebay :

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&_trksid=p4340.l2557&item=120940302009&nma=true&rt=nc&si=090OFkBOSicI5kjh%252Byhdn7ihEfU%253D&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWAX%3AIT&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc

Looks like it ended at a very good price for a jersey, helmet, and shoulder pads.
I looked around and it looks like some of his jerseys alone have sold in the 2k-3k range.

But I did notice one thing that I thought looked different. The Sand-Knit tag in the neck. It looks like you can see black nameplate stitching to the left and right of the collar tag. But the stitching does not go across the sand knit tag.

Is it normal for vintage Raiders gamers to have the name plate attached BEFORE the sand knit neck tag?

Krsoneus
07-07-2012, 07:55 PM
The McClanahan, Allen, and Hendricks game worn jerseys on AMI's website all have the nameplate stitching crossing through the tags.

yosef777
07-08-2012, 09:42 AM
Can't comment on the jersey but the helmet seems off as far a time frame goes. It is the Riddell model AF 2 which I don't believe came into being until the 80's. By 1977 Riddell had discontinued producing their suspension/suspension & liquid padded helmets, the TK 2 and TAK 29 models. (Although many players still wore them.) I believe they only offered their air padded/air & liquid padded PAC 3 and Microfit models.
The AF 2 is a combination of the latter (air padded/ air & liquid padded). I looked briefly but failed to find any photo evidence of Plunkett in an AF 2 in San Fran, looks like a Riddell PAC 3. BTW, in New England he wore an early version of Riddell's Microfit (HA 91/91) and the MacGregor MH 100 (clearshell) while in Oakland it was the Riddell PAC 3.

yosef777
07-08-2012, 10:51 AM
Also, it looks like the seller was confused or purposely trying to mislead when they stated it was Jim's helmet as the COA for the helmet only claims it is his autograph.

JackHE
07-08-2012, 02:20 PM
I too watched this lot with some interest in the Jersey only. I collect several Raiders from that early 80's timeframe and all of mine also have the stitching going thru the label(s). This Plunkett jersey had been up on ebay for a couple of years asking $2K but disappeared about a year ago - until surfacing with this auction.

From the old listing, the jersey DID have the zigzag stitching on the inside so could be absolutely legit.. but that label question and not the usual 2 labels made me hesitate from an agressive bid.

Would love to hear any other feedback or thoughts

JE