PDA

View Full Version : Former Stanford Captain Peter Sauer Dies During Outdoor Pickup Game

trsent
07-09-2012, 08:54 PM
Former Stanford basketball team captain Peter Sauer died Sunday night during a recreational basketball game in New York City after he struck his head on the court.

According to the Westchester County Medical Examiner's Office, an autopsy was to be conducted Monday evening. The 35-year-old was standing near the free throw line when he collapsed backward, hit his head on the concrete outdoor court at Gardella Park and stopped moving, a witness told Gannett.

Police responded to the emergency call at 8:50 p.m. within six minutes. Sauer was pronounced dead at 9:36 p.m. at White Plains Hospital.

Sauer was born in St. Louis and was raised in Pittsburgh. He starred at Shady Side Academy. He was a team captain on Stanford's 1998 Final Four team as a junior.

Sauer's father, Mark, was president of the Pittsburgh Pirates for five years during a successful run in the early 1990s. He later served as team president and CEO of the St. Louis Blues.

calgrad1999
07-10-2012, 06:13 PM
This is incredibly sad for me. Peter is someone who I both knew and saw play in college years ago. After I graduated from college, I met Peter and we talked quite a bit, though I lost touch with him over the last few years.

He is a winner.

My thoughts and prayers go out to family and friends.