PDA

View Full Version : Hunt All Star Game Auction - record Ty Cobb sale

CampWest
07-11-2012, 08:52 AM
Check out the video in the following link... couple familiar forum faces in the auction crowd... ;)

http://fox4kc.com/2012/07/10/ty-cobb-baseball-bat-goes-for-253k/

KANSAS CITY, Mo. — Hall of Famer Ty Cobb set a lot of records during his playing days and now a bat he once swung with has set another, selling at auction for $253,000. The Louisville Slugger was sold by Hunt Auctions during Fan Fest at Bartle Hall. The winning bid came from a Denver sports collector named Tyler Tysdal.
Tysdal tells FOX 4 that he’s a long time collector and paid his way through college selling sports collectibles. He says Ty Cobb is his favorite players of all time.
Tysdal told us the bat is a present for his 2-year old son John Tyler. Tysdal says his son’s middle name is in honor of Ty Cobb.
The bat was sold by 92-year old Nancy Purviance of Dublin, Ohio. Her father, Eddie Onslow, was a teammate of Cobb’s on the Detroit Tigers. It’s believed that Cobb gave the bat to Onslow around 1919. The bat comes with two handwritten letters from Ty Cobb to Onslow, confirming the gift.
“I have mixed emotions about letting it go but I’m 92-years-old and I’ve taken care of it my length of time and my family doesn’t want to hide it out anymore,” said Purviance said.
The previous record for a Ty Cobb bat was $137,000.

CampWest
07-11-2012, 08:54 AM
gaaaahhh... Please move to Discussion forum... sorry.

MLB~NUT
07-11-2012, 03:45 PM
Now that would be a Great pick-up...:)

gadsden86
07-14-2012, 09:59 PM
thats just awesome.