PDA

View Full Version : Intentionally removed tags?

LandRunSports
07-13-2012, 10:27 AM
Can anyone help me determine why the tags were removed from this jersey? I'm sure there are several dumb reasons, but I hoping someone might be able to give a logical explanation.

Here's what I do know - The Sooners did wear Sand Knit jerseys during the 1986 Orange Bowl (see pic #4).

Thanks in advance for the help. - Brian

CampWest
07-13-2012, 10:51 AM
may have been ripped off during a play???

doesn't look like they were cut off with scissors or anything does it?

UGA-1
07-13-2012, 10:51 AM
I'll chime in here. My best guess is that the tags were torn at some point and cut off by either the player or equip guy. The hole where the top tag was, plus the appearance that the remaining tagging looks stretched downward leads me to that conclusion. Nice jersey, BTW!

CampWest
07-13-2012, 11:05 AM
I'll chime in here. My best guess is that the tags were torn at some point and cut off by either the player or equip guy. The hole where the top tag was, plus the appearance that the remaining tagging looks stretched downward leads me to that conclusion. Nice jersey, BTW!

exactly ... that hole by the top tag looks like another player grabbed and tore it off in the course of the game. Does not look intentional in any way to me.

LandRunSports
07-13-2012, 11:18 AM
It's difficult to see in the pics but 3 of the 4 sides appear to have been cut, the other side looks torn. The fraying occured over the last 25 years. I assume its possible that one side was torn and someone decided to cut the remaining 3 sides off. I appreciate everyone's input.

jppopma
07-13-2012, 05:19 PM
In the past, I have seen some equipment managers that would remove tags to keep track of which jerseys were going to replaced. That might explain why they were cut so crudely; as compared to removing the stitching to take the full tags off.

Yes, I know this is a bowl jersey and not one that would be reused, but alot of the equipment people prefer to deal with tags rather than looking at the full jersey or shoulders to see what jersey it is.

LandRunSports
07-13-2012, 07:22 PM
In the past, I have seen some equipment managers that would remove tags to keep track of which jerseys were going to replaced. That might explain why they were cut so crudely; as compared to removing the stitching to take the full tags off.

Yes, I know this is a bowl jersey and not one that would be reused, but alot of the equipment people prefer to deal with tags rather than looking at the full jersey or shoulders to see what jersey it is.

I understand what you're saying, but there are two problems with this...

First, The Oklahoma players always get to keep their jerseys following the bowl games. Second, Oklahoma wore different brands of shirts for the bowl games during the mid to late 80's. Example; during the '85 season they wore Russell, for the bowl game they wore Sand Knit.

I do appreciate your input though, thank you.