PDA

View Full Version : Team issued game cut difference?

VERIS#60
07-19-2012, 11:55 PM
Sorry, but my phone won't let me search what I'm sure has been discussed before. I am sure this is a repeat question, but what is the difference between team issued and game cut? Is it just a metaphor? Thanks for any info! Bruce

Killa_Bee
07-20-2012, 12:54 AM
Not sure how it varies sport to sport as my experience is based on current college/NFL football jerseys. Team-issued and game-cut just seem like a difference in semantics to me (I guess it is possible that they have a different meaning to collectors that I am unaware of, so take my info with a grain of salt). There is a definite difference, however, between retail authentic, team-issued, and game used/game worn.

For example, a team gets issued specific jersey blocks (position specific panels, sleeve lengths, seaming, etc). 3-4 different base styles depending on if we are talking college or NFL. So there are really only 3-4 jersey designs per franchise taking team-specific aesthetics into account. This, to me is a team-issued or game-cut jersey.

They are different from the "authentic" jersey you can purchase at retail as these are cut for pads. The retail versions are designed for fans to wear without pads. If you have ever tried to wear a team-issued/game-cut jersey you would realize rather quickly that the fit, especially in the shoulders is not very flattering. The sizing info will also help you to differentiate vs retail as on-field, team-issued jerseys use numeric sizing (38, 42, 46, etc) as opposed to alpha sizing at retail (M, L, XL, etc). That being said, the authentic, wearable highest-end retail jerseys (that have the same exact fabrics and embellishments that you find on-field) will have similar numeric authentic labeling so it can get tricky.

Anyways, back to team-issued... from those 3-4 base designs, the equipment staff will then custom tailor to each athlete's specific needs. This is the first step towards a game-used jersey, as they typically will have some semblance of tailoring above and beyond the basic design before seeing game-action, this again will vary by athlete.

Obviously, game-used has been worn by the athlete on-field and can be either photo-matched or at least authenticated via a reliable source, ideally the team equipment staff. A game-used jersey will also likely show signs of wear from game action, definitely more obvious in collision sports like football.

Well, that's all I've got. Sorry this was so long... hopefully it helped.

coxfan
07-20-2012, 06:32 AM
Killa Bee, I found your analysis very helpful and useful though I'm not into uniforms. This is the kind of general info that members should never hesitate to post even if others may disagree on the specifics ( whereupon they should also post).

And there's a general point here, which has been addressed in other threads but is ongoing: there's not a fully-accepted vocabulary of definitions for game memorabilia. I consider a game-used item to be one used by the rules as part of the game. (i.e. regulated by the umpire or officials.) I distinguish that from a "team-used" item that helps a team prepare for play, such as a BP-only ball or even a bullpen pitcher's rubber. But salesmen will call anything "game-used", even a locker-room chair. Ambiguities in "game-used" definitions can confuse a potential buyer in many ways.

rufusandherschel
07-20-2012, 10:04 AM
As mentioned, this topic has been discussed in the past on many occasions. Again as mentioned in the past, the issue is purely and clearly one of 'semantics' aimed at either (a) being as accurate, precise, specific, clear, descriptive, etc. as possible or (b) being intentionally vague, deceptive, confusing, etc. The bottom-line is what does the buyer/collector want - an item used in a game (e.g., on the field, ice, court, etc.)? an item that was worn in a game (e.g., on the field, ice, court, etc.)? an item that was issued for/by a team for whatever purpose (e.g., game, charity)? an item that was cut for/by a team for whatever purpose (e.g., game)? If the description of an item is not clear to the potential buyer, s/he should ask questions until it is clear and the buyer is completely satisfied in knowing what s/he is/would be purchasing/getting. It should go without saying, Buyer Be Aware ! ! !

VERIS#60
07-20-2012, 04:21 PM
Thanks for all the info! The jersey in question is a New York Jets game cut jersey on NFL Auctions. Another thought is as many jerseys as they issue, how do the teams know for sure that it was worn in a game or not. I have two Jets jerseys that were most likely worn in just one game. For position, playing time and many other reasons, some jerseys worn in one game show little to no wear. Could a game cut jersey actually have been worn in a game. Or, do they really keep track of the hundreds or more jerseys that they have? Thanks for any other insight!

Killa_Bee
07-21-2012, 01:37 AM
I would think they would specify game-worn if that is the case as it would maximize profits. The fact that they have not makes me think this may just be a game-cut/team-issued jersey. Doubt they are tracked very well, however, there are certain retailers/auction houses that seem to be the official sellers of game worn/used uniforms and equipment... they get their gear directly from the team and they equipment crews verify the authenticity of the product. Not sure if this site is one of those. Between those retailers and the actual team pro shops, that is really your best bet for actual verifiable game-worn gear. Anything else is a crap-shoot.

One note, depending on which jersey you are looking at on that site, (I'll use Hartsock as an example) is that the label in the back neck that says 10-46 signifies the season worn '10 and the numeric jersey size 46. So this seems to at least be an actual team-issued jersey. Would love to be able to actually read that authenticity certificate and see who, if anyone signed-off on that. Would be fairly easy to cross reference the name with the Jets staff.

Either way, good luck with your potential purchase!

VERIS#60
07-21-2012, 11:15 AM
Killa bee, that is too funny! The jersey I'm looking at is the Ben Hartsock. Ben is from my hometown of Chillicothe, Ohio. I only collect items from athletes of our hometown. I was wondering if anyone has ever bought an item game cut that showed signs of game use? Ben saw a lot of playing time with the Jets in a blocking roll. However, if the jersey was only worn in one game, it might be hard to find wear on the jersey. Thanks to everyone for all the insight!

jppopma
07-30-2012, 09:43 PM
Be cautious that game cut is not just a fancy term for pro cut. Pro cut are produced by the manufacture to LOOK just like the jerseys issued to the pro's. When it comes down to it though, "just like" is not always 100% the same. They will have the sizing, extra length, spandex panels, and everything like the ones sent to the team....however there are often some subtle differences.

Other these differences come down to the customizing that teams do themselves. It could be the team using a hometown company to put the names on the back (resulting in different stitching pattern), or player alterations that the teams to do themselves to take in sleeves, sides, etc.

As always be careful and I'd suggest trying to ask them for additional photos or details to make sure. Best of luck.