PDA

View Full Version : Ads on Jerseys: Do they affect Collectibility?

frikativ54
07-20-2012, 09:40 PM
I read this article (http://mlb.sbnation.com/2012/7/20/3172776/bud-selig-comments-ads-mlb-uniforms) today that talked about the NBA's possibly having ads on their jerseys. For all you jersey collectors - regardless of the sport - how would advertisements on game used shirts affect your desire to collect them?

cliffjmp33
07-20-2012, 09:56 PM
Since it looks like I am the first to vote, I'll keep my answer simple. I know it's very common outside the USA for teams to have advertisements, but I like the older/current look with just team name/logo, number and player name (special patches aside).

I think over the years though it'll become more common place and we'll grow used to seeing advertising on jerseys, just not ready for that at the moment.

gingi79
07-20-2012, 11:47 PM
Another example of marketing feces drowning us. Are sports the next exploitable whore in our sadly worthless and failing economy?

masp3392
07-21-2012, 01:20 AM
My collection is football and my main collection is ncaa. Hopefully it doesn't spill into the college ranks but NFL wise, I think it takes away from the jersey's "vintageness" or "classic" looks. I seem to gear more towards like the previous poster said. name, number, team logo and thats it.

sox83cubs84
07-21-2012, 05:36 PM
Bleeeeccchhhhhh! (Sound of me vomiting at the thought).

Dave Miedema

frikativ54
07-21-2012, 07:32 PM
Bleeeeccchhhhhh! (Sound of me vomiting at the thought).

What in particular makes you disgorge at the thought of ads on jerseys? I'm curious.

sox83cubs84
07-21-2012, 09:32 PM
What in particular makes you disgorge at the thought of ads on jerseys? I'm curious.

The cheapness of the look, and the concern that a jersey I want to buy may carry the ad logo of a company I truly loathe (i.e., Starbucks).

Dave M.

frikativ54
07-21-2012, 10:03 PM
The cheapness of the look, and the concern that a jersey I want to buy may carry the ad logo of a company I truly loathe (i.e., Starbucks).

Starbucks??? Feel free to explain off the forum, if need be.

sox83cubs84
07-22-2012, 03:58 PM
Starbucks??? Feel free to explain off the forum, if need be.

I have never been a fan of Starbucks. Even before they announced certain stances on societal issues, I just saw it as an overpriced coffee shop chain
that was successful because it was trendy, not because it was good. When my wife and I used to travel through Chicago, if we saw one opening (and they were multiplying like rabbits in the 1990s), one of us would always half-jokingly remark, "There goes the neighborhood". Give me Dunkin' Donuts coffee any day....cheaper AND better.

Dave Miedema

We now return you to your regular thread, already in progress.

jppopma
07-30-2012, 10:30 PM
There is the purist in me that does not like the idea of it all....Then, I look at minor league hockey and see ads on alot of the jerseys and have never thought twice about it.

Just hope they don't go as far as some of the euro hockey leagues.....

jake33
08-02-2012, 03:22 PM
I think Ads are great on minor league uniforms in all sports, not for the major leagues.

1) I worked for an area football team in the NIFL back in 2003. Those team need all the funds they can get. I can say that putting a Papa John's patch on our uniforms added $7,000 in revenue. And when the Gm of the tema made $38,000 a year and players got $300 per game, that $7,000 got stretched.

2) I think NFL, NHL, NBA, and MLB uniforms should only be team name, number, last name, tema logo, and I guess manufacturer logos are ok, not thrilled with them, but helps in dating older jerseys and manufactuer logos aren't guady.

3) Also from players going to the minor to the majors, it gives a seperation from the minors to the majors. The cleaner look of not having the logo should be a small symbol to a small thing that minor league athletes look forward to when getting to the pinnacle in their sport.

Hypothtically speaking, it would have been a noteworthy quote if when Tommy Maddox came to the NFL from the XFl saying something like " It was nice getting away froma league where I had to advertise the WWE on my sholder. I will gladly trade the Steelers Logo for that, nice to be back in the NFL"

And no, WWE never had a patch on XFl jerseys, was just using that as an example...

somatg03
08-03-2012, 09:03 PM
I dont like the idea of having ads on jerseys because it cheapens the look. However, I think it will serve as an additional reference point to authenticate them. Size, placement etc especially on pinstripe jerseys.