PDA

View Full Version : Whose Jersey Is Mike Schmidt Wearing,Anyway???

2000mvpfan
10-20-2006, 01:16 AM
While going thru some old Donruss cards,I came across this '83 Schmidt and noticed that was no number 20 on his jersey.Since baseball card photos back then were usually taken the previous year,number 37 on the Phils in '82 was P Stan Bahnsen..however if you look at the name on the back of the jersey,it appears to end in an R (according to baseball almanac,Bahnsen was the only one to wear 37 in '82,and no one wore it in '83).
I guess spring training of '82 is a possibility,but how does the team's biggest star not have his own jersey,or even one with his own name on it?I guess the point is,how many of us would ever buy a game used 1982 #37 Phils jersey advertised as being worn by Mike Schmidt?Probably we'd call the seller nuts-but it did technically exist.

Joe

2000mvpfan
10-20-2006, 01:18 AM
...sorry,it appears to end in a G....it's late & I'm tired!

Joe

2000mvpfan
10-20-2006, 01:30 AM
.......just looking thru Baseball Almanac,and guess what?In 1981,Ryne Sandberg wore 37 with the Phils...Could this photo have been that old and still appeared on an '83 card?
.......what an awesome piece that would be-a Ryne Sandberg/Mike Schmidt dual game used jersey (of course,it's probably unknowingly been cut up and put on a Sandberg jersey card already..)!!

I gotta drink less caffeine...

Joe

ironmanfan
10-20-2006, 07:22 AM
I read about this card years ago. Obvioulsy, Schmidt's jersey was stolen and there was no time for the team to make up a new one so Mike wore the jersey of Hal King who I believe was their bullpen coach (or batting practice pitcher) at the time.