PDA

View Full Version : Will these ever get any better ?

RJB44
08-12-2012, 01:38 PM
I guess our hopes of seeing a more realistic TBC uniform is still far away. How ridiculous is the Rangers player to the far right, with the knee high baggy pants and stirrups? You would think after all these years of criticism, someone (manufacture/team) would take the initiative and bring the fans a "accurate" representation of period their recognizing. Perhaps its just a lost cause.

momen55
08-12-2012, 01:46 PM
that doesn't mean anything anymore. no one cares how they are worn. all they are used for is profit, profit and more profit.
and how about those ridiculous helmets with the holes in them? those weren't around 30-40 years ago. those aren't throwbacks sorry.

earlywynnfan
08-12-2012, 06:32 PM
that doesn't mean anything anymore. no one cares how they are worn. all they are used for is profit, profit and more profit.
and how about those ridiculous helmets with the holes in them? those weren't around 30-40 years ago. those aren't throwbacks sorry.

You aren't saying you actually want players today to wear helmets from 40 years ago, giving up the safety just so they look correct, are you?

Ken

xpress34
08-12-2012, 08:27 PM
You aren't saying you actually want players today to wear helmets from 40 years ago, giving up the safety just so they look correct, are you?

Ken

Ken -

Sure, why not. No players got killed wearing them 40 years ago... :p

- Smitty

frikativ54
08-12-2012, 08:49 PM
I guess our hopes of seeing a more realistic TBC uniform is still far away. How ridiculous is the Rangers player to the far right, with the knee high baggy pants and stirrups? You would think after all these years of criticism, someone (manufacture/team) would take the initiative and bring the fans a "accurate" representation of period their recognizing. Perhaps its just a lost cause.

I don't think we can ever approach an accurate representation of the past, and TBTC uniforms only approximate this. What we usually end up with is our own conception of how the players of the past dressed. In some sense, TBTC games and uniforms tell more about us today than about them.

We can only get so close to the past by changing clothing. Players from today would tend to have different average height, musculature, and fashions, when compared with even those of 15 years ago.

Furthermore, the brands of clothing are different, the material has evolved, and newer technologies help limit the head trauma that is unfortunately still too much a part of the game. We can never truly go back.

icollectDCsports
08-12-2012, 10:23 PM
I do think it's disappointing that many of the TBTC replicas are poor representations of the actual, historic uniforms. I'm referring to logos and colors more than fit because I understand placing some limits on making modern players wear something that they'd not be comfortable in. It's obvious that very little thought or effort goes into many of them, but I suppose very few people actually care as much as the folks on this forum.

jake33
08-13-2012, 12:32 PM
I recall back in 2007 when the Rays wore the Ebbets Field ST PETE Saints flannel jerseys. Scott Kazmir was the starting pitcher that day and he was warming up down the right field line and said somethign to one of the clubbies. The Clubbie ran off to the dugout and came back with a scissors to cut the underpart of Kazmir's sleeve to open it up for him and make it less restrictive. That is the reality of the uniforms.

Do you really think a team will force a specific cut of a uniform on a player?

Player: Hey these pants don't have any movement to them. Can we alter them?
Equipment Manager: Sorry, it is a throwback game you just have to deal with it, we have to keep it accurate.

Also, If a guy pulled his hamstring because of changing his running gait with a less restrictive flannel pant for example, that would be the end of it. Unlikely, but all it would take is one incident and one complaint.

Even with manufacturer logos aside, teams making accurate 100% throwback uniforms will never happen.

Even with the uniform, what about throwback batting gloves and cleats do you think that will ever happen? Those two factors alone, will never make a throwback uniform 100% accurate.

sox83cubs84
08-13-2012, 04:46 PM
The modern fit I can deal with. The things hat get to me are out-and-out errors or misrepresentations. Two such examples: the 1999 White Sox roads modeled after the 1969s, with reversed number colors, and the 1995 Indians reds patterned after the 1975 design, with the redos not bearing a NOB like the originals did.

Dave Miedema

trsent
08-13-2012, 10:29 PM
Ken -

- Smitty

Always an intelligent argument.

xpress34
08-14-2012, 12:18 AM
Always an intelligent argument.

Always a douche to rain on any type of sarcasm.

Why can't you just let anything go?

trsent
08-14-2012, 12:58 AM
Ken -

- Smitty

I will not reprint your reply using a slang term that many would find offensive. I see a post above stating if a helmet didn't kill anyone 40 years ago why can't they wear it on Turn Back the Clock days. I didn't see any sarcasm. Sorry if I missed it.

slab0meat
08-14-2012, 09:19 AM
Guess the :p didn't hint at it?

ANYWAY.......

xpress34
08-14-2012, 12:19 PM
Guess the :p didn't hint at it?

ANYWAY.......

Thank you!