PDA

View Full Version : Souvenir Plastic Batting Helmets

RJB44
08-12-2012, 10:00 PM
Interesting to see that many people on Ebay who are offering these helmets have a tendency to indicate that they are "Vintage 1969". Granted, these are "vintage" souvenirs, but its probably fair to say that most are not "1969" . I believe that date stamped in the adjustable headbands is for the patent date, not the manufacture date. I have a forest green/yellow A's helmet which says "1969", but the A's didn't wear forest green until 1982. Same issue with the red, white and blue White Sox helmets, that was 1982 as well. I'm not sure when these helmets first started coming out or when they stopped making them, or if they ever did. I have seen a plastic Florida Marlins helmet, which probably is a little shy of "Vintage". I see that some prices are upwards of $35.00+ for these helmets. I didn't know they were such a collectible.

icollectDCsports
08-12-2012, 10:14 PM
Various memorabilia are listed on eBay with incorrect dates because of this same reason. For instance, you see this a lot with pennants.

ironmanfan
08-13-2012, 08:41 AM
I think that they all say 1969 because that is the year that the MLB logo was copyrighted....

Sellers who really aren't that knowledgeable look for clues on how to place a date/age on what they are selling and all they see is 1969, so they run with it..