PDA

View Full Version : 1993 Phillies World Series Jersey

darylv1
10-20-2006, 08:44 AM
Most of you know I'm selling a big part of my collection, but there are a few items i'm keeping. I currently have a Tony Longmire 1993 Phillies World Series jersey but would like to upgrade it to a starting player. Anyone have one that they want to sell?
Thanks
Daryl
darylv1@comcast.net

kingjammy24
10-20-2006, 01:36 PM
daryl,

there's a 93 world series daulton on ebay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=200038609285

rudy.

momen55
10-20-2006, 01:55 PM
where is the 100% poly tag? was it removed? retail jersey made up for signing purposes? looks like that to me!:eek:

kingjammy24
10-20-2006, 02:03 PM
momen,

i had the same concern about the poly tag. however, several of the pinstripes seem to match up to photos of daulton during the 93 world series. i haven't been able to see enough photos from different angles to say it's photomatched, but the photos i have seen are promising. i have a book with over 300 photos of the 1993 world series specifically. i can look tonight to see if there are more matchups. i wouldn't immediately dismiss the jersey though. after all, we're talking about the 1993 world series. how many home jerseys did daulton wear during the series? 1 most likely. it has to match up to photos. i'd be more apt to dismiss it after it conclusively fails a matchup.

rudy.

darylv1
10-20-2006, 02:50 PM
I asked the seller about the missing Poly tag. He said that there are remnants of a smaller tag below the Russel tag.

I know Daulton did sell all of his stuff, and this does come with Daultons LOA.

You think he would have signed it the way he did if he knew otherwise?

kingjammy24
10-20-2006, 04:32 PM
daryl,

it seems that dutch, much like many other players, doesn't have the best memory when it comes to 13 yr old items. see here:

http://www.gameuseduniverse.com/vb_forum/showthread.php?t=1604

perhaps it's difficult to remember the '93 world series what with all the parallel universes and astral projection pingponging around in his mind.

anyway, i don't know about the jersey either way except to say that it technically it should easily be able to be photomatched.

the daulton loa and inscription are nice but here are some thoughts i have when i see solid loas and inscriptions:

1) did the seller keep the original jersey that came with the loa and are they then using the loa (or photocopy of it) to sell an unlegit jersey?
it's entirely possible, for example, to order legit jeter jersey from steiner with the purpose of keeping the original jeter jersey, then buying a silly "game-issue" off ebay and then pairing the legit steiner letter with the ebay game-issue and selling it as a "steiner game-used jeter jersey".

2) is the letter itself original and authentic?

3) was the inscription really added by daulton or by someone else? it's possible to get a jeter jersey legitimately signed and then have some unscrupulous individual add "gamer '05" in a way that it seems as if jeter wrote it.

i remember when daulton was auctioning off all of his stuff on ebay. but then the entire auction was cancelled. i'm guessing he ended up selling afterall?

rudy.

kingjammy24
10-20-2006, 11:05 PM
i just looked in my book "A Series to Remember - The Official Book of the 1993 World Series" and daulton's jersey in the book matches up to the jersey in the ebay auction (pinstripe/letters/number/patch matchup). the toughest match to get is the back letters and, in this case, every one of them matches up. the world series patch matches up, as do the side numbers and the numbers on the back.

some other notes: i compared the jersey to other phillies jerseys from 1993 and it seems they didn't use the pinstripes as a guide in placing the numbers. that is, the side sleeve numbers often start at different points amongst various 1993 phillies home jerseys. as well, i located another 1993 photo of daulton taken during the regular season and the jersey in that photo doesn't match up to the ebay jersey/book photos. to me this indicates that pinstripe matches in '93 phillies home jerseys are likely to be unique as the pinstripes weren't used as guides.

i've no affiliation to the ebay jersey nor to its seller.

rudy.

darylv1
10-21-2006, 07:48 AM
Rudy,
Thanks a ton for the info. It's exactly what im looking for. I know it's overpriced, just need to decide if i want to spend that much.
Thanks again!
Daryl

sportscentury
10-21-2006, 08:34 AM
Daryl,

Ask the seller if he'll throw in one of those killer 33 inch Ripken "game used" bats he was selling. Perhaps that will make it worth your while. :rolleyes:

Reid

darylv1
10-21-2006, 01:04 PM
I asked the seller, Zane Burns, for a scan of the photomatch. His ebay listing says that the jersey can be photomatched. I just want to cover all my bases before I spend that kind of money.

[content removed]

First off, why do people have to be like this? I've done plenty of business with him in the past, but sure as hell won't by another thing from him ever again. Hunt auctions wants the shirt so bad - what do they think they'll get for it - $5000?????

As far as Zane doing the work to find a photomatch, I would have figured that he'd have one already since his ebay listing says "The Jersey can be photomatched".

What the heck is wrong with people any more these days?

skipcareyisfat
10-21-2006, 01:19 PM
Wow. Nice way to do business. I purchased a few things from Burns in the past and will not do so again. Based on my own experience, his attitude and customer service skills suck.

momen55
10-21-2006, 03:50 PM
why do people keep going to these so called experts and dealers to buy stuff?
let me tell you guys something; years ago when i was new in the hobby and didn't know who zane was, i was at a show in chicago trying to deal some clemente items. one of the items was a clemente bat that was from the 73-75, obviously after he died. anyway, zane told me that the bat was not all that but that he would give me $100 for it and call it a day. well, eventhough i wanted to sell the items, i didn't let him steal it from me! i met with a guy who gave me a deposit and took the bat and put it in auction and i got $800 for it!
that was the first AND last time i delt with zane. i don't have time to deal with stupidity like that. if nobody bought from these guys they would just widdle away and be gone. but collectors keep entertaining there tomfoolery and they keep going! just my 2 cents!

kingjammy24
10-21-2006, 10:02 PM
daryl,

just wanted to reiterate that other than the posts ive made here, i have no connection this jersey. the book i referred to is often available on ebay. i purchased it due to my interest in early 90s blue jays jerseys. i simply thought it might be interesting to use the book in this situation.
after my post here, zane changed his description. i do find it odd that a seller is going to pump up a jersey solely based on my opinion, without seeing the book/photos themselves. if zane indicated that if he does the work the price increases then can i assume that since i did the work i can look forward to a cut of the proceeds?
at any rate daryl, my original intent was simply to chime in saying that if you were looking for a 93 world series phillies jersey, then this one seems to be a good bet. if you're interested in the book its called "a series to remember - the official book of the 1993 world series. analysis by joe morgan, introduction by buck martinez". there are also a couple of photos on getty of daulton during the 93 series in a home white jersey. they only show 1 or 2 angles but those 1 or 2 match up. take my information for what it's worth. good luck.

rudy.

darylv1
10-21-2006, 11:12 PM
thanks again for the info, Rudy. The hobby needs more people like you. i'm actually surprised that i don't have the book myself. i'm going to try to find it. it's unfortunate, but Zane lost a sale. I was going to buy the jersey, simply because it's exactly what i wanted. originally, i could have cared less who was selling it - expert, no expert, whatever. i've been collecting long enough to do my due diligence, especially before spending $3000. I'll just continue to look, and Zane can give is to hunts, or wipe his behind with it.
Daryl

darylv1
10-24-2006, 10:53 AM
Here's something interesting about this jersey, considering that Zane claims the tag was "ripped out"...
Below is a link to the original EAC auction where Daulton was going to sell all of his stuff...
http://liveauctioneers.com/item/1647226/darren-daulton-signed-1993-world-series-gu-jersey

The link points to the road jersey, which is also missing the tag. Now, either the small, 1 inch tag bothered Dutch to the point where he ripped them out of both jerseys (highly doubtful), or he travelled back in time (he supposedly can do that) to the 1993 WS wearing store bought jerseys, then claimed them as game worn.

Why else would both his home and road jerseys be missing one of the most important components of a true game worn jersey, when all other true Phillies game worn jerseys from that year have the Polyester tag????

kingjammy24
10-24-2006, 05:25 PM
hi daryl,

while not common, i've seen some gamers without the poly tag. no poly tag yet no evidence of a (retail) neck tag having been removed. i'd normally be wary unless the provenance was solid which it seems to be in this case. (if these daulton jerseys were retail jerseys, then someone would've also had to remove the neck tags.)

i'm not sure what you're implying here. do you believe the EAC items aren't legit? do you believe daulton offered unworn retail jerseys?

if the road and home world series jerseys both lack a poly tag then that sort of consistency may be evidence of a larger design. more specifically, perhaps the phillies received new jerseys for the series and these new jerseys were a late season order. as a late season order, perhaps russell neglected to sew in the poly tags on a few? this might explain why the phillies regular season jerseys in 93 had the poly tags as they wouldve been early season orders. or perhaps daulton really did remove the poly tags from both jerseys?

if you believe the jerseys genuinely came from daulton then what other explanations could there be? it's difficult to picture something underhanded and sinister in this case.

incidentally, here is the book i referred to:

http://www.amazon.com/Official-Book-1993-World-Remember/dp/0942627199/sr=1-1/qid=1161726891/ref=sr_1_1/002-8391293-9731214?ie=UTF8&s=books

while i can't speak for the road jersey, the letters/numbers/pinstripes on the home jersey matching up to photos is hard to refute or duplicate.

rudy.

kingjammy24
04-11-2007, 06:36 PM
daryl,

looks like hunt auctions got the jersey they wanted and sold it for $1600:

http://www.huntauctions.com/online/imageviewer.cfm?auction_num=30&lot_num=119&lot_qual=&url_referer=search.cfm

far short of the estimate. anyway, see these as well:

http://www.huntauctions.com/online/imageviewer.cfm?auction_num=30&lot_num=120&lot_qual=&url_referer=search.cfm

http://www.huntauctions.com/online/imageviewer.cfm?auction_num=30&lot_num=126&lot_qual=&url_referer=search.cfm

personally i think they're really nice jerseys. daulton had some very cool, unique items. too bad his ebay auction was cancelled.

rudy.