PDA

View Full Version : Interesting - Majestic Jerseys

eGameUsed
10-20-2006, 08:45 AM
This was something I thought I should share on the forum! I received an e-mail the other day from an individual in Canada that had a significant number of "Game Issued" jerseys on Astros Players. Everyone here knows I am an Astros guy. I had him send me some pics of his "last 2 Astros" jerseys, a Home White Alternate Morgan Ensberg and Home Pinstripe Morgan Ensberg. The jerseys looked good from the outside, but did not have pics of the inside stitching. However, the "0062" interior tag is what bothers me the most. Here is a photo of the inside tag on one of the "Game Issued" jerseys:

Now, notice how the tag seems to go over the cross stitched seam. Also, if you look closely, you can see a clear or white straight stitch on top of the cross stitched seam connecting the tag to the jersey.

Now, here is a photo of a 2006 Willy Taveras Home Red Alternate jersey:

Now, notice how the tag is sewn into the jersey cross stitched seam at the time of manufacture. This jersey was given to me directly by Willy a few days after the 2006 season when I obtained various memorabilia directly from him.

I spoke with a couple of local collectors I deal with and did some research on the jerseys. Apparently, it has been common for "0062" tags to be ripped out of common player jerseys and attached to big name stars. That seams like an easy fake. But apparently, their are rumors that someone has figured out how to duplicate the "0062" tag. If you look in the top picture above, the color of the ink on the interior tag seams darker than anything I have ever seen. A friend of mine who does all that crazy stuff with IP addresses and tracking people, linked the e-mail address of the person that sent the photos to the seller of the following:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=110026416026

If I recall, this seller was discussed on another thread regarding Historic Auctions eBay purchases.

This is just something I was alarmed by. The seller that corresponded through e-mail with me called these jerseys "Game Issued." However, we all know a Game Issued jersey can quickly turn into Game Used. I also know the term "Game Issued" is very vague and open to interpretation. However, if a "0062" interior tag has been added or altered, I think we can all agree that is NOT game issued.

All of this has prompted me to come up with a little tutorial on 2000 to Current Astros Majestic jerseys. I am going to try and work on it this weekend and publish on my website.

Let me know if you have any questions! I would also like to hear people's thoughts on this topic!

eGameUsed
10-20-2006, 08:48 AM
Here is another eBay auction that sold by the same seller. It is a 2006 Tigers jersey. Notice the "0062" tag and how it is sewn into the seam.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=110016432754

Is this how the tag is applied to other jerseys? I deal 99% in Astros jerseys, but I don't see how Majestic would make jerseys differently.

To the seller's credit, he is selling these as Game Issued.

Thanks,

kingjammy24
10-20-2006, 01:10 PM
it's funny how the seedy side of the hobby responds to information that collectors pick up. word spills that only pro jerseys are coded 0062, collectors in turn start looking for that all-important 0062, and the underbelly responds.

personally, i think there's sometimes too much importance placed on the washcodes anyway. 0062 isn't a guarantee on anything and 6200 isn't a guarantee on anything. sometimes they're misleading.

for the most part, it seems the niche of contemporary jerseys is completely flooded with "gamers" showing hardly any use. anyways, i've gone off tangent.

interesting post.

rudy.

momen55
10-20-2006, 01:51 PM
all the jerseys i have display tags that are stitched in during production and not added on after. good point.:D

jessicawinters
10-22-2006, 01:25 AM
Chris, I don't see what your hesitations are. The seller is CLEARLY applying manufactured 0062 tags onto retail jerseys. I don't even believe that these tags were from common players. They seemed to be custom maded. Notice the numbers below the "0062" from both the Astros and Detroit jerseys. They are the same numbers 0503B2. These tags seem to come from the same printing. It would be highly unlikely that one seller would have two jerseys from different teams with the same coding.

There is no credit for this seller. It is an absolute fraud. This seller makes the people that make blank gamers into star gamers look like saints. At least those jerseys at some point had belong to the teams.

Any time you see any extra stitching on these tags, then there must be credible suspicion that they have been tampered with.

This fraudulent technique is actually poor. I have seen one jersey that had the stitching completely taken apart on one side and then restitched with the 0062 tag. Only if you look closely, you will see parts of the old stitch marks.

kingjammy24
11-15-2006, 07:18 PM
the majority of "0503B2" incorrectly sewn tags shown in my composition in this thread:

http://www.gameuseduniverse.com/vb_forum/showthread.php?t=5582

were taken from previous auctions of ebay user "jeremy1370".
jeremy1370 has sold a good number of jerseys to "turtlegrrl18".
historic auctions current auction now has a number of jerseys with "0503B2" coded, incorrectly sewn wash tags.

rudy.