PDA

View Full Version : Help on Displaying Nameplates

Number13
08-18-2012, 06:50 PM
To all the nameplate collectors out there: How are you displaying them? And I am looking for help as far as a displaying on a large scale not just a few. As of right now, I have approximately 20+, and I have just started collecting them.

I did not realize how many different sizes there were so any initial ideas I had about displaying them has kind of gone out the window right now and I could use some help.

Thanks

HawaiiSportsNut
08-18-2012, 07:39 PM
I was wondering the same thing. It would have been much easier if all of the plates were one standard size. Hope someone here can come up with a solution for a simple but effective display.

jetersbatboy
08-18-2012, 07:47 PM
You can just by standard black frame and have a custom cut matting made to fit the size of the name plate.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/DARK-BLACK-Custom-Cut-Matting-Mat-Board-Picture-Frame-Matting-586-/160788243665?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&var=&hash=item256fb9e4d1#ht_1987wt_689

loanapprover
08-19-2012, 03:09 AM
double sided poster tape works for me as they go right up on the wall. The tape leaves no marks on the nameplate or wall.

HawaiiSportsNut
08-19-2012, 03:53 PM
Scott... I do custom matting & framing as a side bussiness. Even while doing the work myself the material cost of doing some 30+ odd sized plates can be costly.

loanapprover... Where do you pick up the double sided poster tape from?

mad87man
08-19-2012, 04:19 PM
i got the clear small command hooks but 2 the right way and 2 upside down and slid the nameplate in. just an idea. it looks pretty good too.

loanapprover
08-19-2012, 05:15 PM
Scott... I do custom matting & framing as a side bussiness. Even while doing the work myself the material cost of doing some 30+ odd sized plates can be costly.

loanapprover... Where do you pick up the double sided poster tape from?

Got a package on Amazon for $6 and comes with 48 strips just do a search for:
3M Command Poster Adhesive Value Pack, 48-Strip

HawaiiSportsNut
08-19-2012, 08:35 PM
Got a package on Amazon for $6 and comes with 48 strips just do a search for:
3M Command Poster Adhesive Value Pack, 48-Strip

Thanks... I will try my local hardware store first & if they don't have it I will get it from Amazon.

Number13
08-20-2012, 04:06 AM
I think I might have solved the issue, at least for my purposes. Sometimes just surfing on ebay late at night helps spark an idea.

I'm going to try to use old scrabble tile holders. I just ordered them so I will let everyone know how it goes as soon as I get them.

Thanks for all the help so far with this.

godwulf
08-20-2012, 09:05 AM
Clear-headed push-pins. Of course the pins don't go through the plate, they just hold it in place, but they're nearly invisible from a distance. Only good if you don't mind putting little holes in your walls. Some walls are too porous for any kind of tape to stick for long, and I just don't trust it.

jake33
08-20-2012, 10:50 AM
I have a work desk with a glass surface on top of it and I put various nameplates underneath it and it doesn't damaged the plates at all. Also, i will often display the plate next to an autographed card of the player. Really looks great without taking up space.

Also, I am going to do this with a bar surface and a coffee table for a sports room.

Number13
08-20-2012, 02:15 PM
Also, I am going to do this with a bar surface and a coffee table for a sports room.

That's an awesome idea. I plan on building a bar in the basement in the near future.

Number13
08-22-2012, 01:32 AM
Thanks to a few Pirates plates I just got from Jake, another idea would be to adhere small magnets. They make magnetic paint and you could do an entire wall of them.