PDA

View Full Version : anaheim stadium

momen55
08-20-2012, 04:35 AM
to those that live out there, or anyone for that matter, what happened to the big "A" that was beyond left field? i remember going to games there and seeing it.

joelsabi
08-20-2012, 08:40 AM
to those that live out there, or anyone for that matter, what happened to the big "A" that was beyond left field? i remember going to games there and seeing it.

a casualty of the 1994 earthquake.

momen55
08-20-2012, 11:58 AM
what a shame. that was cool.

08-20-2012, 07:34 PM
Apparently that 1994 earthquake shook so violently that it moved the Big A out into the Angel Stadium of Anaheim parking lot next to the 57 Freeway. I saw it there yesterday when attending the game. Wow, the wonders of nature. Amazingly, the electronics still work and it even has ads for current and future events, and it looks freshly painted. :p

Tom

joelsabi
08-20-2012, 07:45 PM
Apparently that 1994 earthquake shook so violently that it moved the Big A out into the Angel Stadium of Anaheim parking lot next to the 57 Freeway. I saw it there yesterday when attending the game. Wow, the wonders of nature. Amazingly, the electronics still work and it even has ads for current and future events, and it looks freshly painted. :p

Tom

I tell a similar story to out of the area visitors and to my little kids. The power of Disn... Nature. ;)

gorilla777
08-21-2012, 10:24 AM
Say what??

The "Big A" is still there. It is out adjacent to the right field corner, away from the Stadium now. Originally it was located out past left-center field, in the original configuration in the 60s. Then when the Rams moved down in '80, it became a horrible, completely closed seating structure.
The '94 Norhridge quake actually caused a Sony Jumbotron to collapse onto the upper deck seating area in left (luckily during the offseason)

Here is how it looked in the mid 60s, followed by some more current shots...

momen55
08-21-2012, 11:10 AM
that's cool. i was going to ask if anyone has photos to post.
so it got enclosed for football? freakin greed. why can't the stadiums be left open? they look much better. screw all that seating and fountains and trees.
i want to see water and trees i'll go to a park or forest preserve.