PDA

View Full Version : Roger Clemens signs with Sugar Land Skeeters

Chris78
08-20-2012, 03:21 PM
The Sugar Land Skeeters (near Houston, Texas) of the Atlantic League (Independent) today announced they have signed Roger Clemens to a deal. He will report to the team on Friday when they return home and will pitch on Saturday, August 25th at Sugar Land.

I do have access to see some of the teams in the Atlantic League and wonder if he will travel on the road. I wonder if Clemens will eventually go into minor or major league coaching especially if he wants to rebuild his reputation and go into the Hall of Fame (assuming he does not get enough votes in 2013).

Chris

Astros1994
08-20-2012, 04:14 PM
Just read an article which said there was a chance Roger Clemens could pitch for the Astros in September. If he appeared in one game that would move his Hall of Fame ballot back five years. That extra time could actual help his chances.

Chris78
08-20-2012, 08:24 PM
I could see that happening. The Astros are the worst team in baseball, Clemens has been around the Astros organization, it would boost their attendance, and I personally believe he will get no more than 40% of the vote right now. With it being pushed back 5 years, things will settle down and he probably will be 1st ballot by then.

If Clemens plays with the Astros in September, it may also indirectly help Barry Bonds in 2013 with his HOF vote.

Chris

DJaeger22
08-20-2012, 08:34 PM
An article I read said he hit 87 on the gun so he still has something left in the tank. It'll be interesting to see how he fairs Saturday.

frikativ54
08-20-2012, 10:59 PM
Just read an article which said there was a chance Roger Clemens could pitch for the Astros in September. If he appeared in one game that would move his Hall of Fame ballot back five years. That extra time could actual help his chances.

As a big Astros' fan, I hope this doesn't happen. Roger Clemens is roughly fifty years old, he's had his success, he's had his fame, he's had his era. It's now time for Houston to rebuild. I would rather give Roger's slot in the rotation to a young player who hasn't as of yet had a chance. And I'd be disappointed in the Astros if they allowed themselves to get involved in the spectacle that is Roger.

sox83cubs84
08-21-2012, 07:58 PM
As a big Astros' fan, I hope this doesn't happen. Roger Clemens is roughly fifty years old, he's had his success, he's had his fame, he's had his era. It's now time for Houston to rebuild. I would rather give Roger's slot in the rotation to a young player who hasn't as of yet had a chance. And I'd be disappointed in the Astros if they allowed themselves to get involved in the spectacle that is Roger.

It would. Wareen Spahn's eligibility was delayed by 2 or 3 years (I forget which) after appearing in a game in Tulsa, I think it was, when he was a minor league coach.

Dave Miedema

gingi79
08-21-2012, 08:31 PM
The Long Island Ducks are in that league. It's too bad the Houston team doesn't visit NY anymore this season as I love to know what fan reaction would be here.