PDA

View Full Version : Current Rangers' stuff

coxfan
08-24-2012, 08:21 AM
I went to the Rangers-Twins game on 8-23 as part of our annual Texas family trip. So I surveyed the game-used stuff available at the stadium.

Prices ranged from $30 to $10,000. The $30 items were about six game-used bats on a clearance table (no star players). The $10,000 items were throwback jerseys worn by Darvish (already sold, according to the sheet) and Hamilton; there were various other throwback jerseys from $1500 up (some sold already). I think the "Grand Slam" store had some medium-priced g-u stuff, including game balls, bats, and jerseys, but I didn't look carefully.

The home plate for the first half of the season was put out during the game with a minimum bid of $4995. A couple of bases (oddly from games the Rangers lost) were available for $350. A dual-signed ball (not game-used) with Nolan Ryan and Hamilton could be had for $595, I think, though it was unclear if this was an auction or a fixed price with more available. Some Cowboys' autographed stuff was also at the tables.

Nearly all the postseason stuff from 2010-11 was gone, but three 2011 ALDS balls were left. A stadium-displayed 2010 World Series banner was on clearance for $49.95. Each game has a few authenticated balls for about $40, though one from a win over the Yankees earlier this year was priced at $100. I got the impression that they are authenticating fewer balls from each game, and starting again to throw more into the stands than they did last year, (after the tragedy).

The area near the CF-RF area has been remodeled, with a new restaurant, two new patios, and a huge TV screen behind the Nolan Ryan statue. Fortunately, there's still plenty of room to stand there. One other change: There was formerly a small store opposite the "Grand Slam" (still there) that had good g-u stuff, but it's now a kids' store next to a new indoor kids' play area.

baseballfan0721
08-24-2012, 12:23 PM
Which table did you see those bats at and what name do you remembers any .

ncbadges
08-24-2012, 05:50 PM
It USED to be you could get good game used equipment from the Rangers at a price that most could afford. The Rangers' game used merchandise (including the Majestic Grand Slam and Authentics Stores) is now controlled by a separate company and, unless you have a thick wallet, you can just about forget about the good stuff. A Hamilton bat that sold for $399 last year (after his 2010 MVP season) is now $899+.

The general markup this year is about 200 - 300% what the same items were last season.:eek:

ncb

coxfan
08-24-2012, 11:07 PM
I noticed a Milton Bradley and (I think) a Julio Borbon on the $30 bat table. Although they usually sell a few $40 balls from each game by the 8th inning, tonight they withheld all balls because of the Beltre cycle. The manager said it was MLB's decision, and we could look for the balls to appear later at a higher price. The home plate remains unsold at $4995.

cjclong
08-25-2012, 09:53 AM
In addition to the Bradley and Bourbon bats I remember one of Botts. Last year the tables were run by the Rangers Foundation and the money made went there. Now my understanding is most of the tables are run by ALL Pro SPORTS and the money goes to them. A few weeks back they had a Josh Hamiton game used bat they were offering for over $4,000. I think they offered the same bat on Ebay at one time. Most of the bats they have at the Grand Slam shop at the ballpark are usually from lower level players or those that are no longer with the team, see post above. Occasionally they have a Michael Young, Nelson Curz or Josh Hamilton, etc. but they are pretty rare. They usually go between $300 and $800 which is not an unfair price. However the tables now run by a company are obviously trying to get as high a price as they can.

xpress34
08-25-2012, 10:45 AM
The wife and I were in Arlington in June for the Rockies / Rangers series and I saw all the goodies at the All Pro Classics tables as well.

I loved the Hamilton '72 Throw Back uniform, but the were asking $10,000 for it, but the night I asked, the guy said he could give me 25% off and I could buy it for just $7,500.00.

I laughed and told him his prices were insane. There's a 1993 GU Nolan Ryan Uniform that's been available for a number of years for $7,500.00 and he's in the HOF I told the guy.

He told me $7,500.00 was the lowest he could go. I told him good luck and I'd be surprised if he got $5,000.00 for it.

Well guess what? Those guys (All Pro Classics) list their stuff on eBay. About a month after we got home, the '72 Hambone was on eBay.

Here's the run down and question marks for me with how 'reliable' All Pro Classics is on their items - I think they shill bid their own stuff and here's why.

SOLD for $3,850.00 - NO Feedback from Buyer or Seller on this item Positive or Negative (This was Jersey, Pants, Helmet and Hat):
Jul 11th (http://www.ebay.com/itm/JOSH-HAMILTON-GAME-USED-SIGNED-THROWBACK-UNIFORM-MAY-12-TEXAS-RANGERS-VS-ANGELS-/170872302152?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item27c8c86a48#ht_500wt_1182)

Didn't sell for $1,825.00 (BIN $6,600.00) but was available for sale a month after it had sold by same seller (this was JUST jersey and pants)?:
Aug 17th (http://www.ebay.com/itm/JOSH-HAMILTON-GAME-USED-SIGNED-THROWBACK-UNIFORM-MAY-12-TEXAS-RANGERS-VS-ANGELS-/170893604921?pt=US_Autographs&hash=item27ca0d7839#ht_500wt_1182)

SOLD the Helmet - separately for $1,025.00:
Aug 3rd (http://www.ebay.com/itm/JOSH-HAMILTON-GAME-USED-SIGNED-THROWBACK-HELMET-MAY-12-TEXAS-RANGERS-VS-ANGELS-/170888298950?pt=US_Autographs&hash=item27c9bc81c6#ht_500wt_1182)

SOLD the Hat - separately for $510.00:
Aug 3rd (http://www.ebay.com/itm/JOSH-HAMILTON-GAME-USED-SIGNED-THROWBACK-HAT-MAY-12-TEXAS-RANGERS-VS-ANGELS-/170888317954?pt=US_Autographs&hash=item27c9bccc02#ht_500wt_1182)

My personal opinion upon meeting them - they were very full of themselves and some of their tables simply had Autographed 'replica' jerseys available (no triple tackle twill - just the single twill letters and numbers with the other colors 'printed' on the one layer). I also thought some of their descriptions might be a bit misleading to novice collector's or someone who just came buy and had never thought about buying a Game Used or Autographed piece before.

My other issue is that with them, it appears that the Rangers have abandoned their fan base with their GU items and would rather sell to a secondary seller in bulk and let them rape their fans on their pricing.

But this is just one man's opinion.

- Smitty

baseballfan0721
08-25-2012, 12:28 PM
I fully agree buying from ALLPROCLASSICS is not something I can do . I been fortunate to of found former employees and even some common payers that will sell the stuff. I used to love going to the Rangers game in search of game used stuff out there and also the Rangers foundation booth.

This year opening day I went to the Foundation booth just to be let down with the news of ALLPROCLASSICS taking over the game used items. The next time I went to a game I stopped by to look at a ALLPROCLASSIC booth and I also could not believe the operation and prices !!

I really hope the Rangers rethink there dealing so collectors and fans have a real chance of getting a fair price for their items.

coxfan
08-25-2012, 10:24 PM
Tonight, they added a number of bats at the $30 table: a number of Ben Broussards; a couple of Milton Bradleys; a couple from Oakland and San Diego; some with no names.

I can see that the tables don't seem connected to the Foundation. But I don't see the connection with the Grand Slam, which sells mostly general souvenior stuff, and gets its game balls directly from the authenticator at the game.

I bought a ball from the August 23 game picked at random by the clerk; I was astonished to see on the database it was the pitch that hit Joe Mauer, that triggered the retaliation against Hamilton, and the resulting ejections.

coxfan
08-29-2012, 02:31 PM
THe Rangers website, Texasrangers.com, is auctioning a game-used Feliz jersey, authenticated for use in the World Series and ALCS, with minimum bid less than $1,000. I don't know jerseys, and I'm just passing on the info. It includes the MLB authentication sticker number. There are several other game-used items, all under the "Rangers auctions" tab. (Not the charity auction).

This is new to me, as I haven't seen them sell g-u stuff on their website in the past. The Grand Slam guy who seems to be manager confirmed to me that they're not connected to the group doing the tables outside the store.

I'll be interested to see what happens to the balls from 8-24-12, when Beltre hit for the cycle after the Rangers had carried a no-hitter into the 7th. I'm one who'd reserved a ball before the cycle was done, only have MLB tell the Grand Slam Store "adamantly" after the game that they wouldn't release any of those balls despite the store's promises to fans.

frikativ54
08-29-2012, 10:05 PM
THe Rangers website, Texasrangers.com, is auctioning a game-used Feliz jersey, authenticated for use in the World Series and ALCS, with minimum bid less than $1,000. I don't know jerseys, and I'm just passing on the info. It includes the MLB authentication sticker number. There are several other game-used items, all under the "Rangers auctions" tab. (Not the charity auction).

This is new to me, as I haven't seen them sell g-u stuff on their website in the past. The Grand Slam guy who seems to be manager confirmed to me that they're not connected to the group doing the tables outside the store.

These WS jerseys have been auctioned off via MLB.com Auctions very slowly throughout this year. The prices are very fair, and if I were a Rangers' fan, I would bid on them.