PDA

View Full Version : A-Gon/Crawford/Beckett trade

emann
08-25-2012, 07:33 PM
No posts on probably one of the biggest August trades in recent memory, so I'll start.

I think this one is actually going to be a win-win for both sides if the Dodgers can go deep into the postseason this year and in 2013. Obviously, Boston wins with the salary relief and the chance to finally play some of the prospects who are waiting in the wings.

A-Gon should finally be back to basics in LA, I'm sure he'll be happy to be back on the West Coast. Same with Crawford, he actually looked good since he came back and he was playing injured. I think both are going to be big pickups for LA over the next couple of seasons... A-Gon will be missed in Boston.

Beckett is a different story at this point, Boston obviously wore him down—he has been getting booed off the mound at every home start since late May. He sort of ended up with the Clemens effect, being a hero who seemed to turn sullen and selfish and for that the press and fans just ate him alive. I think that factors into part of why he's been so awful this season. Absolutely hated the last few months here, I can't remember any player being this disliked... He's either going to get tossed into some exciting postseason games and will flourish or LA will be his last stop as a starting pitcher.

... and Punto seems like a nice guy and can help carry everybody's bags to the park.

Mattapan03
08-26-2012, 12:21 AM
I actually believe Crawford may be on his last legs. I guess with the Dodgers deep pockets it wont really be a big deal if he tanks....but I think his best days were left in Tampa, and he's gotten slower

Klattsy
08-27-2012, 06:53 PM
It feels like no one was talking about how much of a drain the contracts where on the Red Sox, now that the Dodgers have these players (and much deeper pockets) it's suddenly a burden? Sure they where bad but not really Ryan Howard bad right?

I just have a bad feeling that if the Dodgers don't get to the WS then they will firesale the team next year. Like the Marlins this year. It would be good to seem them keep the players, give them this year + next to gell and really establish a dynasty.

As emann said, hopefully a change of scenery for all three Boston players will do them good. And the Sox picked up a really good prospect in De La Rosa, plus the salary dump will set them up well for a tilt at FA. This years crop not fantastic but next years will be better. Plus Papi will probably leave at years end.

It was on Twitter, but saw a great joke/saying/truth that this was the first time a club has dumped the players instead of the manager.

legaleagle92481
08-28-2012, 12:13 AM
I don't like this trade for Dodgers at all. They gave up big time prospects and could have gotten the Sox to contribute much more cash towards the contracts. Also Beckett is 32, injury prone with a bad attitude who is prone to inconsistency. Crawford is a mess, he is a speed guy who will be 32 next year coming off a major injury. Adrian is a good player but not worth all they gave up and took on for him. They would have been better off signing Hamilton in the offseason.

xpress34
08-28-2012, 02:44 PM
I don't like this trade for Dodgers at all. They gave up big time prospects and could have gotten the Sox to contribute much more cash towards the contracts. Also Beckett is 32, injury prone with a bad attitude who is prone to inconsistency. Crawford is a mess, he is a speed guy who will be 32 next year coming off a major injury. Adrian is a good player but not worth all they gave up and took on for him. They would have been better off signing Hamilton in the offseason.

So are you saying without a doubt that Hamilton will be up for grabs in the off season?

Just because he's scheduled to be a Free Agent doesn't mean anything until he tells the Rangers he's filing for FA and walks away from any offers they may put on the table before that time.

I think this time next year he will still still be wearing the Ranger T on his hat.

Just my .02

- Smitty

legaleagle92481
08-28-2012, 05:25 PM
So are you saying without a doubt that Hamilton will be up for grabs in the off season?

Just because he's scheduled to be a Free Agent doesn't mean anything until he tells the Rangers he's filing for FA and walks away from any offers they may put on the table before that time.

I think this time next year he will still still be wearing the Ranger T on his hat.

Just my .02

- Smitty

Would you rather have Beckett, Crawford and A-Gone or Hamilton? If I were the Dodgers I would invest it in Hamilton any day of the week. Hamilton is a franchise player and A-Gone is not at that level. Now that LA has invested in the other three that is not an option. So I agree Hamilton will remain a Ranger as I doubt anyone else could afford him.

emann
08-28-2012, 06:14 PM
Would you rather have Beckett, Crawford and A-Gone or Hamilton? If I were the Dodgers I would invest it in Hamilton any day of the week. Hamilton is a franchise player and A-Gone is not at that level. Now that LA has invested in the other three that is not an option. So I agree Hamilton will remain a Ranger as I doubt anyone else could afford him.

But they did this move because they already have their franchise player in Matt Kemp. They final piece they needed a solid first baseman immediately who wasn't struggling to hit .250 on the season. If Crawford comes back (and he's still very fast) that outfield is going to be elite.

I think Hamilton stays in TX but only because I don't think he'll get the offers he might be expecting mixed with no interest from the big market teams.

kellsox
08-28-2012, 06:29 PM
I think Hamilton is a bad investment for any team that signs him. Paying top dollar for an individual with his substance issues will not end well. I'd be surprised if he gets more than 3 years guaranteed and I also don't think that the rangers will resign him. If they were to resign him , I believe it would have been done already.

As for the trade- it is unbelievable that the sox were able to move those contracts AND get players in return. The sox would have let Beckett and crawford walk for nothing in return and Gonzalez( a great hitter) just never seemed to fit in

legaleagle92481
08-28-2012, 10:06 PM
But they did this move because they already have their franchise player in Matt Kemp. They final piece they needed a solid first baseman immediately who wasn't struggling to hit .250 on the season. If Crawford comes back (and he's still very fast) that outfield is going to be elite.

I think Hamilton stays in TX but only because I don't think he'll get the offers he might be expecting mixed with no interest from the big market teams.

I agree that Kemp is their franchise player but they are paying franchise prices here. One or more of those prospects may be a great big leaguer within the next year or so and they are paying over 200 million for these three guys. Crawford reminds me of Vernon Wells or Jason Bay a guy who was a very good but not great player who totally lost it after signing a big new deal. For what Crawford is paid he should be a franchise player in his own right. I just feel that for the prospects and money they spent they should have ended up with a franchise player and I think the Sox got the much better end of the deal.

suave1477
09-04-2012, 10:31 AM

Just my .02

- Smitty

Never count out the Yankees, you know the love paying for the big name high salaried free agents lol :D