PDA

View Full Version : Fake Canseco Game Used Bat? - Help needed

CansecoPower33
10-21-2006, 09:42 PM
I recently purchased a bat represented as a "Jose Canseco Heavily Game Used Bat". I won the bat on ebay (item number: 190036004121) from seller prhitking4256, whom I believe was a member here with the name hitking.

The detailed description of the bat stated, as follows:

"Up for bid is a late 1980's-early 1990's era game used Jose Canseco Cooper Professional model 243 bat. The bat shows excellent game use and is caked in dried tar/rosin. The knob is appropriately factory stamped with the bats measurements which are 35 inches and 33 ounces. Jose's #33 is also handwritten on each end in faded marker. The bats barrel exhibits ball,rack, and cleat marks. This is a very nice Canseco gamer and would be very hard to upgrade. Cooper was Jose's bat of choice for many years. Winner to please add $12.00 shipping. I accept checks,money orders, and paypal. As with all of my game used memorabilia, this bat is 100% guaranteed authentic and guaranteed to pass Mears authentication. Thanks"

The bat matched Jose's measurements, and looked just like a Canseco gamer should look, the correct Cooper model. Before bidding, I emailed the seller and asked him about how he obtained the bat. He responded as follows:

"The bat is from Jose's Oakland A's days and I recieved the bat directly from Jose. Thanks, Chris".

I bid on the bat, and won it at $224.72 excluding shipping. I had no reason to question its authenticity, and perhaps foolishly took the seller at his word.

Yesterday, by chance, I was browsing a Leland's auction held in January 2005 and noticed a lot of GAME ISSUED bats, one being a Jose Canseco Cooper model. Something about the bat struck me - It looks identical to my own. The grain of the wood appeared to match it perfectly, and other small marks on the bat were also present on my own. I believe they are the same bat. If anyone can have a look at the bats and give some help here it would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Jose Canseco bat I purchased from prhitking4256.

http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f95/joeryan33/82_3-1.jpg
http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f95/joeryan33/df_3.jpg
http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f95/joeryan33/95_3.jpg
http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f95/joeryan33/b4_3.jpg
http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f95/joeryan33/c4_3.jpg

Jose Canseco Game Issued Bat sold by Leland's in 2005.

http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f95/joeryan33/31472bg.jpg
http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f95/joeryan33/31472an.jpg
http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f95/joeryan33/31472cg.jpg

jon_8_us
10-21-2006, 09:54 PM
The grain looks to be a match.Sorry to see this.I was lucky enough to catch a fraud(dolphinboy) trying to sell me a doctored Johnny Damon bat before i bought it.See what other members think and if it's unanimous call out this fraud.....
jon

gameused
10-21-2006, 10:23 PM
The bat from lelands is the bat you have, the grain is exact!

Here we go again.......Looks like you exposed another fraudulent dealer.

You should forward these photos to the people at Lelands and they may be able to help you file fraud charges against this dealer.

This [content removed] needs to stop!!!

Bobby

kingjammy24
10-21-2006, 10:23 PM
sorry but it's the same bat. here are the 2 knobs:

http://img225.imageshack.us/img225/1184/batww7.jpg

they match up perfectly.

rudy.

CansecoPower33
10-21-2006, 11:06 PM
Thanks so much for the help with this. You have confirmed my own suspicions with the bat.

I've contacted the seller (prhitking4256), and made it clear that I'm not happy with the bat and shall be seeking a refund for its return. I bought it on ebay, paid through paypal. This would be the first time I've sought a refund on an item, or had any such problem. Are there any pointers you could give in how I'd go about this?

I'm a law grad, so I know a thing or two about misrepresentation in contract. I'll be seeking further legal opinion if he doesn't cooperate with me on the refund and return. I'd also involve the auction house Leland's, if possible. Right now, I'm weighing options.

Bottom line, I'm not at all happy with the bat.

Thanks again, guys.

chipperJ1979
10-21-2006, 11:10 PM
The bats are the same and as a huge baseball fan, I have to say that it is a disgrace that someone would sell garbage like this. You want to make money, fine. We all do. But don't con someone into buying some [content removed] like this. It is an embarrassment to collector's and sellers alike. Sorry this happened to you. Don't lose heart though. There really are good sellers out there. Unforturnately, you have to get through the [content removed] first.

ChipperJ1979

chipperJ1979
10-21-2006, 11:14 PM
I would contact Leland's and ask who purchased the bat. I don't know if they have guidelines on buyer confidentiality or not but I would imagine so. However, if you explain the situation and include some images of the two bats you may get a sympathetic employee that might help you out. It's worth a shot I think. If you bought it through paypal, they should also refund you. Paypal is usually pretty good like that. Again sorry this happened to you Canseco.

CansecoPower33
10-21-2006, 11:17 PM
I'm disappointed since I thought I'd found a real nice example of a Canseco gamer. You're right, nothing teaches like experience. Don't worry, I haven't lost heart.

CansecoPower33
10-21-2006, 11:20 PM
I think I'll contact Leland's tomorrow, and go through the ebay and paypal process. Thanks for the advice, Chipper. If you're a Chipper Jones fan, good taste.

chipperJ1979
10-21-2006, 11:37 PM
haha I am a HUGE Chipper fan. Have been for ages. The best third baseman I have ever seen. You are a Chipper fan to?

CansecoPower33
10-22-2006, 12:16 AM
Yeah, Chipper's one of my favorite players. When you look at the numbers he's put up, he compares very favorably to any third baseman who's ever played.

sylbry
10-22-2006, 09:41 AM
I have owned a couple Canseco gamers over the years and the "33" written on each end isn't even close to Canseco's handwritting.

CansecoPower33
10-22-2006, 04:11 PM
The seller got back to me, and he's willing to give a refund for the bats return. He admitted that it's the same bat. This is my first time with the ebay return policy. It's as simple as opening a dispute through ebay for items not as described?

Thanks for all the help again. When I get this sorted, I guess I'm back in the market for a Canseco gamer.

staindsox
10-22-2006, 05:51 PM
Was the seller the one who doctored up the bat? If so, how long do you think it will be until this guy relists the bat on eBay?

jon_8_us
10-22-2006, 06:35 PM
I don't want to be a rabble rouser but could you please give any info on this guy you have to the members here on the forum so we can put him on our rippers list?Thanks
jon

CansecoPower33
10-22-2006, 06:45 PM
Certainly. This is an open forum to help everyone. I put his name in my original post: ebay id is prhitking4256 and he was once a member of this forum with the name hitking.

Obviously, he hasn't said that it was he who doctored the bat. I want to have the issue dealt with properly, be refunded and make people aware that the bat is out there. I'm not going to say he doctored the bat unless I have hard evidence to support that claim. I just don't want to see anyone else get burned. The pics are on my original post, so if you come across the same bat you'll know to steer clear.

I'll be on the lookout for a Canseco bat again, so chances are I'll notice it if it's reposted on ebay.

CansecoPower33
10-22-2006, 07:47 PM
Can I ask, if a refund was offered direct through paypal rather than going through the ebay dispute process, would you choose that option? The seller has offered to refund me tonight. As I said, this would be my first time returning an item purchased on ebay.

Again, your help so far has been invaluable, and any help with this would be greatly appreciated. Thanks yet again.

Joe

camarokids
10-22-2006, 08:13 PM
I saw and watched the auction in my ebay . Something about the writing of the #33 in green (too sloppy on both ends) I didn't like and just got bad vibes about the bat ! Now I know why . Follow your instincts , your first is usually the right one . I hope you can get your money back !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

indyred
10-22-2006, 09:05 PM
I'd take the paypal refund and move on. I was looking at his other bats that seller recently sold. Do they look legit?..... some big names in there. Good luck on finding another Jose bat, there are legit one's out there just have to search. Seems he is one of those player's that has a pretty big game used collector following. Probally quite a bit of his stuff squirled away in permanent collections. Makes it sweeter though when you do get a nice game used piece from Jose....

bat_master
10-22-2006, 09:48 PM
Hi Everyone,

After hearing about this situation with an individual I've dealt with before I'm even more upset at the two extremely lowball offers I just received for two of the bats I have for sale.

This guy (prhitking4256) actually offered me $375 for the 1983 Rawlings Steve Carlton gamer and $400 for the 1990 Yount gamer. I know I shouldn't, but I take offers like these as a personal insult! It's like he thinks I'm dumb enough to think that a Carlton or Yount game used bat is only worth that amount! PUH-LEASE!

I hope you are able to get your money back. Even though you don't have proof right now that he was the one that doctored the bat if he was the one that admitted it was the same bat he probably knows about the doctoring.

I've got another issue with that seller but I won't disclose it since I have no proof. However, if you compare closely the items sold by cnotes100 (NARU'd) and prhitking4256 you will notice some interesting things with the bidding and with their locations.
http://cgi6.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewBidItems&userid=prhitking4256&sort=3&rows=25&ViewBidItems=&all=1&completed=1

Tim Byington
t_byington@yahoo.com

CansecoPower33
10-22-2006, 10:13 PM
I accepted the full refund rather than opening an ebay dispute. The funds are now pending, and I shall return the bat when I receive cleared payment.

All I can say is that the seller dealt with the matter courteously and didn't dispute the obvious. I think the pictures speak for themselves. I don't know who doctored the bat, and never will, so I won't make any claim I cannot support without the necessary evidence.

I do not intend to drag the seller's name through the mud, but feel that documenting the transaction can be a positive thing. I hope this thread can provide a reference point for any member who may have any future dealings with the seller.

I'll just be happy to get the bat off my hands.

CansecoPower33
11-10-2006, 06:29 PM
I want to let the forum members know that this bat has been returned to prhitking4256. I only make this known now due to the number of Canseco gamers that have been cropping up lately. There's a definite market there for Jose's game used equipment. I know there are quite a few Canseco collectors here and would ask that they be on the lookout in case this bat finds its way back into the hobby.

kingjammy24
04-12-2007, 04:56 PM
this bat is now back on ebay again:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=110113702862

'round and 'round it goes.

rudy.

kingjammy24
04-12-2007, 04:59 PM
forgot to mention, the original seller - prhitking4256 - is in maineville, ohio.
the current seller - c-notes100 - is also in maineville, ohio.

in neither of their feedback logs is there a record of those 2 transacting this canseco bat.

rudy.

CansecoPower33
04-12-2007, 05:12 PM
Hey guys, you're on it already. I saw it today on the bay and decided to pop over and give you all a heads up. Yeah, this is the same bat and most definitely the same seller. He is Maineville, Ohio. I had the bat shipped back to him after all the hassle last time.

I'll be reporting this to ebay.

3arod13
04-13-2007, 03:46 AM
I think I'll contact Leland's tomorrow, and go through the ebay and paypal process. Thanks for the advice, Chipper. If you're a Chipper Jones fan, good taste.

I've had this happen to me 3 times on ebay. Filed a complaint with both ebay and paypal. In all 3 cases, I received a refund through paypal. The more documentation and proof you have to provide paypal, the better your chances. With the proof shown in this thread (the knobs of the bat) should be sufficient enough. You should be able to recover your money through paypal. Contact the seller and let them know you're filing a complaint with both ebay and paypal. Hopefully they will return you money.

Keep us posted. Tony

CansecoPower33
04-13-2007, 05:23 PM
I got my refund and returned the bat last year. I guess he's held onto it, waited for the dust to settle, and threw it back on ebay in the hopes that no one would notice.

I emailed the high bidder yesterday and informed him of the history. I've also informed ebay, for whatever good that'll do.

10thMan
04-13-2007, 11:45 PM
I`ve dealt with "Chris" & got "smoked" on a deal....
I actually took the bat to the Athlete & was told "I didnt swing it" DIRECTLY BY THE ATHLETE.

The worse part about showing the athlete the Bat, was the EMBARRASSMENT. One Coach present, also gave me a hard time about having "counterfeit memorabilia" Needless to say, I went home dejected & ANGRY

Personally, The excessive MLB Logos on the shipping carton I STILL HAVE, bother me. Straight up SCANDALOUS!!! I seriously doubt they have permission to use MLB logos. Maybe I`m wrong, but I doubt it.

I emailed the seller of the FRAUDLENT Canseco Bat, explaining (in my opinion) how certain use characteristics aren`t even close...
Dig the recent cleat Marks also!!!

I`d say more, but i`m gettin` a bit testy at this point...

Way to go Scott, Niceeeee, Sweeeeeet!!!

Sean

Rboitano
05-07-2007, 05:47 PM
Cnotes and prhitking4256 same seller?