PDA

View Full Version : Zack Greinke Game Used 2004 or 2005 Royals Jersey Authentication Help

Oriolesfan29
08-30-2012, 11:26 PM
Hi Guys,

I am still relatively new to this hobby and I wanted to run a recent purchase of mine of eBay with you guys to see if you think it is real based on its merits. I recently purchased an either 2004 or 2005 (based on the vest style jersey) Zack Greinke game used jersey off of eBay. This jersey did not come with MLB certs, but everything on it seems right. It has the 0062 tagging under the seam, velcro under the Royals logo of the jersey. Signs of exceptional use. I do have two minor concerns with it that may not be concerns at all, but I wanted to check with you guys who have more extensive collections. First, as you can see with a close up of the pictures, the three on the front of the jersey seems to be off a little bit. The stitching on the back seems to be consistent with the rest of the jersey, but I didn't know if that is a warning sign or something to where it was a factory error or they put together the jersey real quick since he was being called up. Second, does the fraying on the Greinke seem excessive to anyone, or consistent with a jersey that was well used. I am basically looking for an expert's opinion on whether you guys think the jersey is the real deal or did I as a rookie get burned on this one. I paid a decent price for it so for me I am hoping it is real. I would love to frame it and put it up with my other Greinke game used items, but I don't want to do it unless I have some second opinions that its good. So comment away!

MichaelofSF
08-30-2012, 11:37 PM
It is not a 2004 jersey as Russell made the Royals jerseys in 2004. Starting in 2005 Majestic became the manufacturer. In 2006 the Royals ditched the home vest. This jersey is likely a 2005 jersey then.

I cannot speak for whether it is authentic or not, but I thought the style/manufacturer info would help.

MichaelofSF
08-31-2012, 12:07 AM
The following are all of the home games that Greinke pitched in in 2005 with the style of jersey worn by the Royals listed next to it:

4/13 blue
4/18 blue
4/23 blue
5/15 blue
5/20 blue
5/31 blue
6/5 blue
6/16 blue
7/3 blue
7/8 blue
7/25 WHITE
8/5 blue
8/10 blue
8/23 blue
9/2 blue
9/15 blue
9/20 blue
9/25 blue

I would try and focus on pictures from 7/25 to see Greinke in a white 2005 Royals jersey to see if it matches up well to yours. It's not too likely to find other pictures of greinke in the whites on days that he didn't pitch. Typically the pitcher gets to decide which jersey style the team wears and I guess Greinke had a thing for blue in 2005. I hope this info can help you find out more about the jersey. He very well have worn this particular jersey throughout the season on days that he didn't pitch, it's just hard to find pictures of pitchers on days that they don't pitch.

Oriolesfan29
08-31-2012, 10:11 AM
I searched images on the AP and I can see where he wore the vest style jersey on that game, but the two images dont provide a good close up of the front numbers. Is there any other source I could use to see pictures from the game or maybe even obtain a video of the game?