PDA

View Full Version : Another Titans helmet - "#72" - I have a date code too (I think?) - Can anyone help?

Preston
09-03-2012, 06:38 PM
Hey guys,

Another week, another helmet! (ha kidding, well kinda!)

Well, a buddy found a game used Titans helmet on craigslist and forwarded it to me, and I managed to contact the seller to obtain a few pictures. This guy I believe is not a collector AT ALL but I did manage to get info from him.

He said he had obtained it at a business conference, and everything looks VERY similar to my Eddie George game worn helmet.

So I guess my questions are:

1. What does the date code (I assume it's a date code) on the facemask "74910" mean? I do know how to date a helmet/facemask based on the 3-letter code, but am not familiar with the number codes.

2. I see the "72" sticker inside the helmet, but is the "D" written/stamped next to it indicate it's for a defensive player? Or am I missing something?

Any help is much appreciated - I've learned a lot in a short amount of time due to the great knowledge on this forum, but want to make sure I keep learning and not shooting myself in the foot. Because you know what happens when you "assume"...

Preston
09-03-2012, 06:47 PM
Judging by what I know (due to the stars on the NFL logo), it's from 2008 or newer, and I'm guessing it's Barry Booker's helmet (defensive tackle, #72) - of course there's no pictures of Barry Booker as he got waived (figures) September 25, however I'm guessing it was worn in preseason.

Any chance I'm correct or is it not a 2008 in anyone's estimation?

tom1315
09-03-2012, 07:07 PM
Hi Preston. I have my 2011 William Hayes helmet in hand. All decals and placement look spot on. I posted pictures of mine earlier in the GUU sight so if you search for my posts by login name you will find them.

On my facemask which is a Riddell...with the helmet facing you...on the right side is a number at the top - "74912." On the left side is the Riddell stamp and a date stamp - "02-11 C". There should be a date stamp on yours...just on the other side (printed on the inside of the facemask) at the top of the facemask to the left of the Riddell bumper.

William's number 95 is in red and in the top of the Riddell shell like yours though yours is a black font...the font size is identical.

Maybe the "74912" on my facemask denotes a bullring type match which is the one attached to Williams. Yours may be a different facemask? The placement of the #72 is identical in the top as is mine.

I have just looked at all decals again...look sound to me.

Hope above helps!

Tom

Go Pack! NC State 1981 graduate

Preston
09-03-2012, 07:42 PM
I was correct as the seller has NO knowledge of game helmets. What do you think is a fair "value" for this helmet, seeing as it's likely a common player? I told him $100 and he's considering.

tom1315
09-03-2012, 08:47 PM
If you can pick up for $100 - even used by a player on a limited basis...few games and/or practice, that's a bargain in my eyes. I would be willing to go higher than that...without putting my hands on it...probably top out at $150 to $175. Maybe more if I personally inspected and saw nice game use, wear and tear, so to speak.

My experience is true Titan gamers are pretty rare. It is why I jumped at the William Hayes one from the 2011 season when I saw it and had all of my questions answered satisfactorily.

I hope it works out Preston.

Tom

Go Pack! NC State 1981 graduate