Griffey 1994 Jersey– Where's the Nameplate?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • griffeyfan
    • Aug 2007

Griffey 1994 Jersey– Where's the Nameplate?

I have a question for the Mariners equipment experts out there . . . did the Mariners sew the name on the back of their jerseys directly at anytime without using a nameplate? I have never seen any Griffey jerseys from this era without a nameplate. Although photos are limited from the strike shortened season there are images of both the teal and road jerseys with a nameplate.

The date tag is also somewhat of a mystery. Other Mariners jerseys have a more computer printer generated style for the numbers while this one appears to be sewn.

What makes things more interesting is the signed certificate by Griffey himself on this one. What are your thoughts?
  • sox83cubs84
    Banned
    • Apr 2009

Re: Griffey 1994 Jersey– Where's the Nameplate?

The Baseball Card Kid (Mark Murphy) is not a standard GU equipment dealer, but did have a number of Griffey items from his time in Seattle. Still, the lack of NOB plate concerns me, and that style of Russell tag font only appeared on a handful of jerseys in 1994 made specifically for spring training....the standard, regular-season tag font you describe is the normal one.
    Without at least a style-match, I'd pass.

Dave Miedema

Comment

• griffeyfan
      • Aug 2007

I agree, Dave. I even researched other Mariners players photos from 1994 and came up empty. All showed a nameplate.

Comment

• beef
        • Dec 2011

Looks like this jersey has made its way to goldin auctions, now with a letter from MEARS stating that griffey ordered jerseys without nameplates. I still cant find a picture from 1994 that is lacking a nameplate.

Comment

• trsent
          Banned
          • Nov 2005

I can't say anything about the jersey itself, but I can tell you that the original letter which came from Coast-To-Coast was a company that was buddy buddy with Griffey, Jr. and A-Rod during this time period and they bought a lot of stuff right from the players and they did a lot of autograph signings with them during this era.

In fact, playing poker in Las Vegas about ten years ago I introduced myself to Alex Rodriguez and mentioned Coast-To-Coast to him and then he started talking to me about playing professional poker full time because he trusted me since I knew the C-To-C boys.

Comment

• beef
            • Dec 2011

I guess thats part of the confusion Joel, coast to coast handled a lot of griffeys early stuff but there's no hologram system or even picture coa...so my skeptical mind wonders if the jersey or coa had been switched at some point in the last 18 years. I'm still waiting for the griffey experts to verify that he ordered extra jerseys sans nameplate.

Comment

• trsent
              Banned
              • Nov 2005

Originally posted by beef
              I guess thats part of the confusion Joel, coast to coast handled a lot of griffeys early stuff but there's no hologram system or even picture coa...so my skeptical mind wonders if the jersey or coa had been switched at some point in the last 18 years. I'm still waiting for the griffey experts to verify that he ordered extra jerseys sans nameplate.
              You could also contact Troy at MEARS and ask how they made that determination.

Comment

• sox83cubs84
                Banned
                • Apr 2009

It would be interesting to find out what information (if any) MEARS had regarding NOB Plate-less Griffey jerseys. With this anomaly, as good as they were in the era, I'd need more than a C to C LOA to accept this one.

And, Joel, before you suggest I call Troy for the scoop, I've tried to contact him on multiple different matters over the last year. I always get a recording, and the next call he returns will be the first.

Dave Miedema

Comment

• trsent
                  Banned
                  • Nov 2005

Originally posted by sox83cubs84
                  It would be interesting to find out what information (if any) MEARS had regarding NOB Plate-less Griffey jerseys. With this anomaly, as good as they were in the era, I'd need more than a C to C LOA to accept this one.

And, Joel, before you suggest I call Troy for the scoop, I've tried to contact him on multiple different matters over the last year. I always get a recording, and the next call he returns will be the first.

Dave Miedema
                  I wasn't going to suggest you call Troy. The guy asked for help and I figured Troy best to help him. I'm pretty sure you and Troy are on separate boats these days :-)

Comment

• jdhbraves
                    • Jul 2008

Unraveling this mystery may be difficult but possible with some leg work. If memory serves, back in 1994, in an issue of sports collectors digest, MOS sports had a big ad containing griffey gu equipment from 1994. The jerseys were photographed and had these coa's. If someone has saved those issues from 1994, you will find your answer. I had a road 1994 junior, and mine had a name plate. I will say the signature placement on this one is where it should be for all of the griffey jerseys that came with his coa.

Comment

• gingi79
                      • Aug 2007

I've been following this thread with great interest. In 1994, the easiest way to tell the difference between "authentic" and 'replica" store bought jerseys was the nameplate. Only cheap replicas had letters stitched into a jersey and it was a point of pride to have an "authentic jersey". "Real" jerseys was easily deduced by having the players name sewn on to a nameplate and even "authentic" jerseys were reduced to crap without one. (Granted I was 15)

There is no logical baseball reason to exclude the nameplate. It wouldn't lighten the weight of the jersey, allow greater motion or affect Jr positively in any dissernable way. Further, no one on this website or any other I have visited can produce any photos of Jr wearing a non-nameplated jersey.

However, if Nolan Ryan could force a team to supply him with one brand of jersey when seemingly every other player wore another, is it outside the possibility that Jr asked for and wore this jersey? Remember this is the same guy who wore his hat backwards during batting practice for THE FIRST TIME IN BASEBALL HISTORY. He didn't "tow the line" Jr was eccentric at times.

That being said: I wouldn't touch a non-photomatched Griffey any quicker than a non-photomatched Montana, Rice, Gretzky, Jordan etc.
                      Bieksallent! My Player Collections:

http://sami-salo.webs.com

Comment

• 5kRunner
                        • Aug 2007

Maybe I'm not understanding or missing something.

How can one note on the worksheet that "no nameplate due to Griffey's need for extra jerseys for his marketing purposes" and conclude that this jersey is game worn?
                        SCOTT
                        scottjrepking at gmail.com

Always looking for game used bats from Andre Dawson, Ryne Sandberg, Mark Grace, Jody Davis, Shawon Dunston, Jerome Walton, Rick Sutcliffe, and Greg Maddux. Preferably CUBS era bats.
                        sigpic

Comment

• trsent
                          Banned
                          • Nov 2005

Originally posted by 5kRunner
                          Maybe I'm not understanding or missing something.

How can one note on the worksheet that "no nameplate due to Griffey's need for extra jerseys for his marketing purposes" and conclude that this jersey is game worn?
                          I said it before, if you care, you should email MEARS. Their email address can be found on their website www.mearsonline.com

I would assume they would give a better answer than us speculating.

Comment

• beef
                            • Dec 2011

I emailed MEARS and have been waiting on a reply, I will post the response when/if one is given

Comment

• sox83cubs84
                              Banned
                              • Apr 2009

Just show us a photomatch or even a stylematch...that will go a long way towards solving this.

Dave M.

Comment

Working...