PDA

View Full Version : Frustration with Trying to Acquire Game Used Items

Insomniac186
09-12-2012, 11:37 PM
With the minor league baseball season coming to an end, I've been trying to acquire some game used items from the season. It seems like most minor league teams sell bats, jerseys, and sometimes caps, but what about the other items? I have contacted the local teams in my area (Northern California) and even spoken to people that work for the teams in person. I asked if there ways any way I could get something game used other than jerseys or bats (I would like to have at least ONE full uniform from those teams), even offered cash, and was met with a resounding "No." Why is this? I know that there are some minor league teams and even players that give people all kinds of things, but I have never had any such luck, including being at what I thought was the right place at the right time. Many teams now have blocked access to the players' parking lots so you can't really ask players anymore. I had some luck last year with players giving me items, but not this year. Someone that worked for one team tried to get me some non-jersey items but then told me later via email that "the clubhouse will only release the jerseys".

I know that MiLB teams re-use pants over and over again and stitch them up if they are ripped or have holes, but I know they have to get rid of them at some point. Players have told me that the club keeps the pants and jerseys and the players take with them things that they may need for the off season (winter leagues, etc.) and everything else gets GETS THROWN AWAY. Here I am ready, willing, and able to take random game used items but apparently they would rather throw them away.

Does anyone have any advice or have any info as to why things are this way? Does anyone share my frustration?

ChicagoCubsWS
09-13-2012, 12:20 AM
Go dumpster diving after the season...I know players throw away bats so they don't get sold on eBay and someone in Arizona Fall League got Tim Beckham broken bats this way.

ryant7
09-13-2012, 11:41 AM
Build a good re-pore with the players during the season, then towards the end of the season it will be easier to obtain items. Also by showing up to games and being seen by the players (trust me they know who is at the stadium everyday) they will know you are a fan and if you ask for items during the season you will be more likely to get game used bats etc after games. Its a lot easier to obtain items during the season than at the end because at the end the players are ready to leave and go home they have planes to catch and would rather go see family than sit around after a game and clean out there locker and figure out what they want to give away. I know this from firsthand experience. Try and obtain items during the season its waaaayyyy easier. I have cleaned out many lockers at the end of a season and obtained an obscene amount of random items that were left by the player fortunately for me i collected and no one else in the clubhouse did.

Insomniac186
09-13-2012, 01:43 PM
Thanks for the advice, guys. I tried to build a good re-pore but I was a little slow and hesitated for a while. I will try again next year.

ryant7
09-13-2012, 04:57 PM
Dont hesitate most guys are just like me or you an everyday normal guy, some of them can be a little standoffish but approach every player with respect and dont be demanding I wouldnt go near anyone when I first started going to the stadium then after a while you couldnt get me away from the players there are many players i approached when no one else would. You would be amazed at how many players will actually accept ride offers back to the hotel because they are tired of waiting on the shuttle van.... these instances always ended up getting me a bat or two the next game. I acquired the IL lineup card from the dugout during the triple-A allstar game in 2001 just because I had a good re-pore with the manager..... also was able to have Adam Dunn sign it and talk him out of his bat that he used to hit 2 Hrs with during the game. Sometimes its luck and sometimes its just being in the right place at the right time it never hurts to ask for anything worst a player can say is no.

Klattsy
09-13-2012, 05:46 PM
I feel your pain mate. I have been trying clubs all season through email and Twitter. Its exceptionally hard while overseas. I have had some success with Charlotte Knights, scored a pair of cleats they had. If you get to the team too late you get greeted with "the players take everything with them" i've found.

At the end of the day, it's not our right to their belongings, i'd just be more grateful with better communication.

adam-ky
09-13-2012, 08:59 PM
I contact the agent and try the donate money to the charity of the players choice for the items.

Chris78
09-15-2012, 09:13 AM
Some teams auction off stuff at the end of the season so now is a good time to try again. Some teams recycle their items for next season with regards to jerseys. Some teams have a "yard sale" event on a particular day to get rid of items. Check milb.com and the team's Web site and see if the team is selling stuff.

As far as getting items from the player themselves, some players keep stuff, while others give stuff away. It depends on the player. Some players give the items back to the team and let them decide what they want to do. If the team just won the championship, some players will throw their hats in the crowd and you just have to be lucky to get it. The higher the level in the minors, the more likely I feel a player will give you stuff as well. Also, if the player has played with the same team for awhile, they might be willing to give an item like a hat away since they have accumulated others like it.

Chris