PDA

View Full Version : Late 1970s LA Rams Jersey - Retail? Authentic? Team Issued?

commando
09-19-2012, 10:07 PM
Hello everyone,

I recently picked up this jersey, with Sand-Knit tagging that dates to the mid to late 1970s... I am wondering exactly what I have here. The player who wore the number "50" for the Rams during this time was linebacker Kevin McLain -- certainly not a star in the NFL, but of interest to me because he later played linebacker for the Houston Gamblers, as well as being their special teams coach for a season.

The shirt does not have an exclusive team tag. It does, however, have a numeric size 46 Sand-Knit tag that was heat-pressed onto the outside left tail. The number 50 has been heat-pressed onto the front, back and shoulders with what appears to be the correct font. The shoulders are double-layered. The bases of the blue ram horns on the shoulders have been sewn into the shirt, while the skinnier tips are sewn onto the jersey body (these horns are each two separate pieces of fabric).

No nameplate has been sewn onto the back, and the jersey shows no use whatsoever. The size 46 is appropriate for McLain.

What the heck do I have here?

Thanks for your help! -- Anthony

commando
09-19-2012, 11:09 PM
I realize that the typical Rams "5" used during that period is a bit more curved (in the middle). I have found photos of exceptions, with the "5" matching the ones on my shirt.

My gut is telling me that this shirt is a nice authentic, or maybe some thpe of promotional jersey at best.

commando
09-19-2012, 11:36 PM
This jersey on eBay right now is attributed to punter Jeff West during the Rams 1980 training camp... It is tagged very similar to my jersey and has a similar font on the "5." Kevin McLain did not make the team for the 1980 season, so there's a chance this jersey may have been created for the 1980 training camp, but subsequently not used?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1980-Jeff-West-Los-Angeles-Rams-Game-Used-Jersey-/180771777046?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2a16d66a16

both-teams-played-hard
09-20-2012, 04:42 PM
Thanks for posting these photos, Anthony. My first feeling is that your shirt is a retail item. LA Rams gamers that I have held are more of a lighter weight mesh, than your jersey appears. This is only an opinion, I am not an expert, by any means.
I encourage all forum members to post photos of jerseys that can't be identified. Most posts that I make get few replays. I seem to have different interests than most forum members. Majestic is foreign to me and I do not understand the appeal of baseball bats. I have learned a lot from collectors of items, that don't interest me.
I dig durene and flannel. For several years, I have calculated data about threads, posts and the number of replies. By my count, there are 47% members of this forum, who have no interest in what I collect or what I want to discuss. With that said, I have no interest in those people's collection or helping them add to their collection. There are a lot of people who use this forum, and want others to do their research. They add nothing to this forum, and expect others to look up a uniform number or stats. Those people are deadbeats and they are a drain to the collecting community.
Regardless, nice Rams jersey.

commando
09-20-2012, 05:09 PM
Thanks for posting these photos, Anthony. My first feeling is that your shirt is a retail item. LA Rams gamers that I have held are more of a lighter weight mesh, than your jersey appears. This is only an opinion, I am not an expert, by any means.
I encourage all forum members to post photos of jerseys that can't be identified. Most posts that I make get few replays. I seem to have different interests than most forum members. Majestic is foreign to me and I do not understand the appeal of baseball bats. I have learned a lot from collectors of items, that don't interest me.

I dig durene and flannel. For several years, I have calculated data about threads, posts and the number of replies. By my count, there are 47% members of this forum, who have no interest in what I collect or what I want to discuss. With that said, I have no interest in those people's collection or helping them add to their collection. There are a lot of people who use this forum, and want others to do their research. They add nothing to this forum, and expect others to look up a uniform number or stats. Those people are deadbeats and they are a drain to the collecting community.
Regardless, nice Rams jersey.

Thank you sincerely for your post... My gut also tells me this was not issued by the team, but who ordered it and why will probably always be a mystery!

On a side note, I agree with what BTPH said above. Of all the collectors here, it seems like very few are interested in researching the vintage uniforms (say pre-1988). It's a shame, because that's actually my favorite part of this hobby. And regarding BTPH's contributions to the collecting hobby, he is second to none when it comes to the knowledge he has given versus the knowledge he has received. Hell, I bookmarked his website quite some time ago and go there weekly to look at his tagging history reference:

http://www.both-teams-played-hard.com/Tagging_History.html

I guess you either like collecting vintage or you don't. Furthermore, I guess some people feel the desire to share their discoveries while others choose to hide theirs. Regardless, BTPH, Mark Hayne, Lon Lewis, myself and countless others will continue to plod on and continue trying to map the world of vintage uniforms.

To everyone else who may be more interested in current players and teams, best wishes to you too...

joelsabi
09-20-2012, 05:19 PM
missing nameplate seems wrong. just thinking out loud. heres some 1979 photos.

both-teams-played-hard
09-20-2012, 06:58 PM
Thanks for the nice words, Anthony. I will help any collector, the best I can. Regardless of age, collecting budget or if their collecting interests differ from mine!:)