PDA

View Full Version : Lot for Suave1477

trsent
09-22-2012, 09:52 PM
Jason -

http://sports.mearsonlineauctions.com/LotDetail.aspx?lotid=50423&searchby=0&searchvalue=None&page=0&sortby=0&displayby=2&lotsperpage=ALL&category=1&seo=1984-circa-Darryl-Strawberry-New-York-Mets-Signed-Game-Worn-Pony-Cleats-(MEARS-LOA%2fJSA)

There is also a Strawberry 1996 team signed game issued jersey for sale, but these cleats have your name written all over them.

suave1477
09-26-2012, 03:12 PM
TRSENT I appreciate bringing this to my attention as I will defintely keep an eye on these. I particulary do like them.

Interestingly enough I took a look at that Jersey you mentioned. I find a few oddities with it. Lets start off with the obvious the nameplate on the back is absolutely horrible, it is without a doubt not original not sure who came up with the idea to sew on a WHITE nameplate on a GRAY Jersey. It is being sold as game issued not game used - Take a look at the patch especially looks like it was beaten up and and sewn on poorly by someone outside of the manufacturer, this Jersey overall should be pretty crisp and clean if it is Issued.

I am not an mid 80's Jersey expert and maybe im wrong but isn't there supposed to be A strip tag on this?

I got a feeling this is a Jersey from some other point and time that someone tried to make look up like an 86 season jersey for the autographs.

Not to mention Straw fans, Mets Fans, would be going nuts over a Jersey like this if it was the real deal, the fact bidding is only at $100 is a red flag to me, even at this early in the auction there would of been some serious bids put in on it.

suave1477
09-26-2012, 03:15 PM
I would call out TNT on this one and if he can provide some opinion on it, as I know he is the 80's Mets Jersey expert?

TNTtoys
09-28-2012, 01:25 PM
I would call out TNT on this one and if he can provide some opinion on it, as I know he is the 80's Mets Jersey expert?

I am a little puzzled by it too. The nameplate is obviously not the original, and I would question why the nameplate was even restored in the first place. I have never come across another '86 jersey with a restored nameplate. Apart from that,the Goodman tag is fine (no strip tag necessary) and the wear throughout appears to be HEAVY (letters and numbers on front and back, patch and the side stripes) -- so I have no idea where the jersey could have been deemed to be "game issued" -- unless it was sold to the original owner as game issued, and they proceeded to wear it heavily??? Personally, I would treat as a team autographed jersey... and the current price is great for that matter.

suave1477
09-28-2012, 03:20 PM
I agree with everything you say TNT except for one thing as you mentioned the price. The price would be great on a clean looking Jersey. For example when the use a new retail Jersey for autograph signings.

But as you mentioned shows some type of wear if not just out right beat up Jersey with a horribly altered nameplate. So I dont think honestly dont think its worth anything more than the $100 bid thats on it

d4347
10-09-2012, 08:01 PM
Just a warning, this jersey is now being sold as "Game Used" in the current American Memorabilia auction. The nameplate is terrible. It should look like the one I have pictured.

Rob
robertbrender@hotmail.com

suave1477
10-10-2012, 10:52 AM
Wow you got to love this.

A jersey being offered as issued is now being auctioned as used
In a matter of a week or 2 from one auction house to another.
And is it me or is the American Memorabili only have on picture available for it???

I tried to find more pics but it doesnt show any other pics!! Are they trying to hide the back of the Jersey??

d4347
10-10-2012, 06:18 PM
http://www.americanmemorabilia.com/Auction_Item.asp?Auction_ID=75131&qf=title&t=Open&q=strawberry&p=0

Here is the link for the listing. It does have pictures of the back and front of the jersey.

TNTtoys
10-10-2012, 09:59 PM
Wow you got to love this.

A jersey being offered as issued is now being auctioned as used
In a matter of a week or 2 from one auction house to another.
And is it me or is the American Memorabili only have on picture available for it???

I tried to find more pics but it doesnt show any other pics!! Are they trying to hide the back of the Jersey??

Correction -- in the MEARS auction, it was listed as "NOT GAME ISSUED" ... now we have the quantum leap to "GAME USED"

suave1477
10-11-2012, 10:00 AM
Correction -- in the MEARS auction, it was listed as "NOT GAME ISSUED" ... now we have the quantum leap to "GAME USED"

Oh My God I saw the Game Issued part at a glance. I didn't realize it said NOT GAME ISSUED - This is even worse so mears was completely being out right saying this was not a jersey intended for game use and now AM is saying it is Game Used??

You got to love this at the end of AM listing " is directly sourced through an ex-agent. "

Um no AM you sourced it through Mears lol:D

d4347
10-11-2012, 01:14 PM
I sent American an email to advise them but haven't heard anything back. I doubt they'll remove the listing. There were only three road Darryl Strawberry game used jerseys from '86. One was the playoff jersey, which will have the extra strip tag indicating set P. I have the one pictured above. That means there's one more out there somewhere and the one in American's auction isn't it.

suave1477
10-11-2012, 01:35 PM
I am just curious how do you know there was only 3 made?

Also can you post a pic of the tagging of yours?

trsent
10-11-2012, 02:05 PM
I am just curious how do you know there was only 3 made?

Also can you post a pic of the tagging of yours?

My first question was the same. Unless you were there in the clubhouse, how can you make a statement with 100% certainty?

d4347
10-11-2012, 03:21 PM
Pretty much common practice for the Mets to issue only two home sets and two road sets for any given player in that era. Was I in the clubhouse, no. Can I say with relative certainty that Straw only received three road jerseys that year, yes, based on the practice of the day. Two for the regular season and one for the playoffs.

d4347
10-23-2012, 06:39 PM
Someone paid $1,345 for this non game used Strawberry. Sorry to the buyer.