Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • sportscentury
    • Nov 2005

Babe Ruth game used bat for $10,000

I just saw this ... it was snagged off of eBay pretty quickly for $10,000. What do folks think? A Babe Ruth game used bat for $10G is an incredible steal, correct?

Reid
    Always looking for top NBA game worn items of superstar and Hall-of-Fame-caliber players (especially Kobe, LeBron, MJ, Curry and Durant). Also looking for game worn items of all players from special events (e.g., All Star Game, NBA Finals, milestone games, etc.). Please contact me at gameusedequip2@hotmail.com. Thank you.
  • corsairs25
    • Jun 2006

Re: Babe Ruth game used bat for $10,000

Isn't this the same seller who invented the side written Joe Jackson bat a month ago? is it Peter Freund?

Comment

• kingjammy24
      • Nov 2005

no photo of the center brand?

anyway, i've a somewhat related question. if you've got a highly desireable item that's worth X amount, then why would you sell it for half that price? the ebay auction states that a bat "that is nearly identical to this one that sold recently at Mastro Auctions for $25,000+". if an almost identical bat sold for $25k, why would they sell this one for $10k? why not consign it to mastro or whoever and get $15-20k?

i'll often see similar ads that say the item is worth X amount and they're selling it for less than half. if the item is really worth X amount then why don't they get that amount for it?

rudy.

Comment

• earlywynnfan
        • Oct 2005

I emailed the seller (again, anyone want to bet if he'll respond?) and the buyer. This Freund guy is unreal!

Ken

Comment

• BoneRubbedBat
          • Jul 2005

Here is the original auction that Peter won the Ruth in. AMAZING....it used to have the 36" inch marks stamped on the knob, and during the transport to him, it disappeared!!

sigpic

Always looking for vintage game used bats of Houston Buffs and Colt .45's players.

Comment

• sportscentury
            • Nov 2005

Ken, Marcus, Rudy, corsairs, and others...

I had similar "questions" about this item. Truly remarkable. You have to feel terrible for the buyer. That is a ton of money - Could you even imagine flushing $10,000 down the toilet?

Reid
            Always looking for top NBA game worn items of superstar and Hall-of-Fame-caliber players (especially Kobe, LeBron, MJ, Curry and Durant). Also looking for game worn items of all players from special events (e.g., All Star Game, NBA Finals, milestone games, etc.). Please contact me at gameusedequip2@hotmail.com. Thank you.

Comment

• BaseballGM
              Banned
              • Jan 2006

Is this type of thing happening more frequently now or are more people finding these ummm gems?

Comment

• BoneRubbedBat
                • Jul 2005

Make a mental note on this item also. I bet we see it again.

Another opportunity for the Inch Mark Gremlin.
                sigpic

Always looking for vintage game used bats of Houston Buffs and Colt .45's players.

Comment

• sammy
                  Banned
                  • Nov 2005

This a**hole (championshipsportsinvestments) is a true piece of garbage.

I'm sure the buyer will be notified.

Comment

• JimCaravello
                    • Jan 1970

This is a travesty - I have contacted the Buyer who I know very well........thanks for the great investigative work done by all of you....truly sad........

Comment

• sicollector1954@insightbb.com
                      • Oct 2005

HI GUYS!!!!!!!!!!!!! THANKS to all who e-mail me and were looking out for my best interests. FOOL ME once but not twice. The deal is never going through!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Took my time to contact the best people in the business before making any kind of payment like that!

I asked that the bat be sent for authentication to PSA and then I would pay for it after it was cleared. Just got an e-mail back saying he was not comfortable doing that as supposedly it has to be sent to the seller.

So I just sent an e-mail stating next time he should remove the green paint before sanding the 36 off the knob next time. I indicated that game used forum is watching and told him to STICK IT!

Thanks again.

Dave

Comment

• sicollector1954@insightbb.com
                        • Oct 2005

Bat is up and running again! listing #230042638215
                        Thought people would like to know. Apparently, the deal with me is a dead issue! Never responded back after I sent my last e-mail and exposed him. I plan on following the auction and hope others will as well and if any other people look to buy the bat....give them the heads up as well. Thanks.

Comment

• ChrisCavalier
                          Paid Users
                          • Jan 1970

Originally posted by sicollector1954@insightbb.com
                          HI GUYS!!!!!!!!!!!!! THANKS to all who e-mail me and were looking out for my best interests.
                          I just wanted to second your comment in thanking everyone here for helping you make an informed decision.

I think it shows the value of this site for all who are involved in the buying process. I know I won't make any major purchases in the future without checking with the people on this site first.

Sincerely,
                          Chris
                          Christopher Cavalier
                          Consignment Director - Heritage Auctions

Comment

• sportscentury
                            • Nov 2005

Originally posted by sicollector1954@insightbb.com
                            Never responded back after I sent my last e-mail and exposed him.
                            Actually, it was this thread that exposed him. And this is not the first thread on GUF to do so. The recent thread started by Marcus about the manufactured side-writing is another example. I don't think this will be the last thread to do so, either.

I'm certainly glad to hear that you didn't get ripped off for 10 grand.

Reid

Comment

• earlywynnfan
                              • Oct 2005

I have reported this seller and this bat to ebay. I spoke with their customer service, and she said that if enough people report it, the seller can and will (if they determine him to be a scammer) be banned.

Ken

Comment

Working...