PDA

View Full Version : When did this become the Obituary Forum?

gaytorhater703
10-02-2012, 09:57 AM
theres like 8 different threads on just page 1.

suave1477
10-02-2012, 11:30 AM
Its about paying respect to people who participated in the game we love and have always noted this on the forum for years

Especially the one time guys who made it up for one game in the 50's or the career long guy who spent 20 years in baseball. It was hard years ago for a player to make it up to the show then it is now, and for them even to make a cup of coffee says alot about a players caliber that they had, that we didnt or pursue.

They deserve the respect.

CollectGU
10-02-2012, 01:16 PM
I find the idea of posting the names of relatively unknown athletes who passed ridiculuous. I do however find Joel's obscure obituary's posts comical as I believe that they are meant to poke fun at this silly forum practice and he succeeds with some of the ones he finds.....

trsent
10-02-2012, 01:43 PM
I find the idea of posting the names of relatively unknown athletes who passed ridiculuous. I do however find Joel's obscure obituary's posts comical as I believe that they are meant to poke fun at this silly forum practice and he succeeds with some of the ones he finds.....

+1

That Joel guy has quite a sense of life.

suave1477
10-02-2012, 02:14 PM

Hmmmmmm gotcha so you feel unless they're Pujols or AROD they dont deserve any recognition. Very Nice.
A guy who tried his best and maybe made one appearance in his life doesn't deserve attention because hes not a superstar.

Well I hope his threads are not to poke fun because some of the people he has posted have been very interesting and people who have had some amazing accomplishments.

I am not gonna comment any further!!

joelsabi
10-02-2012, 02:45 PM
Hopefully, the post is to honor the player no matter how obscure. I think all of us can relate in some form or another to players who we have seen on a baseball card, who was on our favorite team, who were able to fulfull their childhood dream to make it to THE SHOW, who have the same birthday as us, who were a part of baseball history...

to poke fun at the dead is pure low class, imho. i hope that is not the case.

if you dont like them, just continue to read only the thread title and move on.

both-teams-played-hard
10-02-2012, 02:55 PM
Every life is precious and every unknown player's career should be honored.
With that said, I am against the entire general sports discussion forum (although I participate now, and will in the future).
Game used, folks. Game used!

slab0meat
10-02-2012, 03:20 PM

+1

to poke fun at the dead is pure low class, imho. i hope that is not the case.

So.. despite what you supposedly read, which clearly states he's poking fun at the practice itself, and Joel confirming it, you somehow still have it up for debate as to whether he's poking fun at dead people? Seriously?

And based on suave1477's logic, and both-teams-played-hard, and whoever else, there should be threads about every single person who made it in professional baseball? Doesn't matter how unknown the guy is, "honor" everyone. Why are you saying just baseball though? Shouldn't every sport have this honor? And why just men? And why just at the very top professional level?

flaco1801
10-02-2012, 04:06 PM
If you dont like to read an obituary form a poster than just keep moving....there are plenty of other posts you might like better, maybe something like Whats worth more....or should i wash or leave the slimey smell from a gamer...

suave1477
10-02-2012, 04:21 PM
So.. despite what you supposedly read, which clearly states he's poking fun at the practice itself, and Joel confirming it, you somehow still have it up for debate as to whether he's poking fun at dead people? Seriously?

And based on suave1477's logic, and both-teams-played-hard, and whoever else, there should be threads about every single person who made it in professional baseball? Doesn't matter how unknown the guy is, "honor" everyone. Why are you saying just baseball though? Shouldn't every sport have this honor? And why just men? And why just at the very top professional level?

Yes I am responding to Slab, since he is bringing up a different angle to the debate and so he can understand where I am coming from.

There doesnt have to be a thread about every single player but if someone happens to pop up in the news somewhere and or I happen to notice it somewhere that someone passed, I dont think there is anything wrong with giving that athlete recognition. There have been plenty of players that I missed and never posted about.

I am not saying this practice should be specifically to baseball. Baseball just happens to be the sport I follow. If someone else here wishes to post about other sports athletes thats fine with me.

Why just men? If you read back about 2 weeks ago I posted about one of the most iconic females in womens baseball who passed away.

As far as the top professional level because usually thats the one that would get the most attention to the media. If for some reason, someone at the minor league level passed and I happened to know it or it was brought to my attention I would have no problem posting it.

They point is to pay tribute to people who did make it to the top tier level of sports as this is what our hobby is, game used of the sports we love.

A member here posted they disagree with the sports discussion forum. Again with out Baseball, we wouldnt have bats and Jerseys to collect!!;)

CollectGU
10-02-2012, 06:47 PM
Every life is precious and every unknown player's career should be honored.

No one is making fun of the dead. Joel is likely poking fun at those that feel the need to post obscure and random obituary's. It's a form of humor known as parody or satire where you imitate somehting in an exagerrated or comical way in order to poke fun at the subject ( in this case the constant posting of very obscure obit's would likely be the subject).

or maybe Joel just simply feels that every life is precious.....either way whetheer intended or not, I enjoy his posts on this subject. I also enjoy The Onion....

sox83cubs84
10-02-2012, 08:36 PM
No one is making fun of the dead. Joel is likely poking fun at those that feel the need to post obscure and random obituary's. It's a form of humor known as parody or satire where you imitate somehting in an exagerrated or comical way in order to poke fun at the subject ( in this case the constant posting of very obscure obit's would likely be the subject).

or maybe Joel just simply feels that every life is precious.....either way whetheer intended or not, I enjoy his posts on this subject. I also enjoy The Onion....

Personally, I agree with Warren. If the post doesn't interest you, pass over it. There are plenty who do find the posts, even of obscure players, informative.

Dave Miedema

trsent
10-02-2012, 10:47 PM
I personally think we should honor all life. Why does someone have to be a professional or amateur athlete to be remembered?

This debate should be stopped immediately. If people wish to post every time they see a sports obituary, I feel it is not necessary. If you appreciated a player or they touched your life and you want to post about it, that is one thing, but to post every time you see someone passed is excessive but it is what it is.

Feel free to continue this debate if y'all wish but if people wish to post that is their choice and everyone is right, if you don't want to read about it you don't have to read every post.

I recommended we make one death thread that never ends, but that idea was vetoed.

Mark17
10-06-2012, 07:19 PM
Personally, I agree with Warren. If the post doesn't interest you, pass over it. There are plenty who do find the posts, even of obscure players, informative.

Dave Miedema

I agree on both points. There are hundreds of posts on here that don't interest me (like those about post- 1980 uniforms and bats), so I just sidestep them.

Some of the obscure posts DO interest me a lot, however. As a Twins fan of the 1960's, recent obits of Dave Boswell and Jack Kralick in particular. It's sad to see those old teams gradually passing away, but it also gives me another opportunity to remember those guys and those days at old Met Stadium.

So, I'd suggest anyone post what interests them, and everyone read what interests them. Personally, I am glad people post obits of players, including the obscure.

1970REDS
10-07-2012, 10:06 AM
If you do not like topic move on to the next one , If we started throwing off on all topics we personally do not like it would get ugly ........ Keep the obits coming they informative . Is not what we are here for is information ?

slab0meat
10-09-2012, 09:09 AM
Why no love for any squash players who've sadly passed away?

:(

frikativ54
10-09-2012, 01:50 PM

Dave Miedema

+1.

I care about plenty of athletes other than superstars. And I agree with the "If you don't like it, don't read it," sentiment.