PDA

View Full Version : Should I sell or keep this GU Eagles?

project 4
10-05-2012, 01:36 PM
Am really torn right now. Was thinking of selling but with this being such a unique piece and the only full uniform I own it's kind of difficult. I was having plans of displaying it on a mannequin with glass cover but don't know where to get one/make one. Besides, I don't know where I can display what with our limited space in our home (I don't have a game room).

On top of that Kolb doesn't play for the Eagles anymore which brings me to another question, do people enjoy collecting uniforms of players not currently on that team? Kolb didn't really have a career with the Eagles so there's not much of connection for me there. I'm a Kolb fan who went to the same college as he did which is why I purchased it in the first place but I stopped keeping up with the Eagles. Actually the whole situation with Vick kind of left a bitter taste in my mouth.

I guess it would be a lot easier for me if I had a full outfit of one of Kolb's Arizona Cardinal uniform but from my understanding Arizona doesn't really release a lot of their items especially the Helmets and pants so it would be difficult to achieve what I intended for this one. I don't want to have any regrets selling this set which is why I'm asking. I just wonder if it's difficult to obtain something similar down the road. So is it better for me to just keep it with everything mentioned?

http://i497.photobucket.com/albums/rr332/br1ju04/DSC07739.jpg

ironmanfan
10-05-2012, 01:41 PM
IMO if you are a fan/collector of Kolb and have little or no opportunity to acquire any Cardinal game used material, I'd keep the Eagles gear....

Obviously, if you were somehow able to acquire any Cardinal material down the road, then consider moving the Eagles uniform at that juncture.

Jags Fan Dan
10-05-2012, 01:41 PM
I would think that obtaining a uniform that complete would be a big challenge. If you are conflicted, keep it for now. Especially if you are a Kolb fan, I think you would wind up regretting getting rid of it.

BU54CB
10-05-2012, 01:46 PM
It sounds like you purchased the jersey because it was Kolb's and you're a fan of his, not because he was with the Eagles. If that's true, then it shouldn't matter what team they are on if you're a player collector. What if the Cardinals cut him next year, would you feel the same?

That being said, we all have our individual tastes and preferences for how our collection should be, I don't blame you for feeling the way you do.

Since you're having display issues, one option is to sell the full uniform and buy a Eagles and Cardinals GU jersey of him and display in frames. There are many alternatives to displaying items, searching these boards, if you already haven't, will give you plenty of ideas.

A full uniform from the same game(s) of any player in pro sports can be difficult to come by. If you don't need the money, I'd keep it and see if you can find a GU Cardinals jersey to fulfill your needs and figure out how to display some or parts of your collection. All you need is a corner in a room and a mannequin torso to display a jersey !!

project 4
10-05-2012, 02:08 PM
I would think that obtaining a uniform that complete would be a big challenge. If you are conflicted, keep it for now. Especially if you are a Kolb fan, I think you would wind up regretting getting rid of it.

Yeah, I really don't want any regrets. I just wonder if anyone has ever done something similar and was able to eventually replace what they sold.I do have a Cardinals jersey which is my favorite and I could easily display that.

IMO if you are a fan/collector of Kolb and have little or no opportunity to acquire any Cardinal game used material, I'd keep the Eagles gear....

Obviously, if you were somehow able to acquire any Cardinal material down the road, then consider moving the Eagles uniform at that juncture.

I guess that's a good idea. Money shouldn't be too much of an issue in the future I hope but figured if I'm going to move it might as well do it now and just save the money until I find it.

It sounds like you purchased the jersey because it was Kolb's and you're a fan of his, not because he was with the Eagles. If that's true, then it shouldn't matter what team they are on if you're a player collector. What if the Cardinals cut him next year, would you feel the same?

That being said, we all have our individual tastes and preferences for how our collection should be, I don't blame you for feeling the way you do.

Since you're having display issues, one option is to sell the full uniform and buy a Eagles and Cardinals GU jersey of him and display in frames. There are many alternatives to displaying items, searching these boards, if you already haven't, will give you plenty of ideas.

A full uniform from the same game(s) of any player in pro sports can be difficult to come by. If you don't need the money, I'd keep it and see if you can find a GU Cardinals jersey to fulfill your needs and figure out how to display some or parts of your collection. All you need is a corner in a room and a mannequin torso to display a jersey !!

I own a Cardinals jersey already which I love. Also own 3 other Eagles jerseys which I could display as well. I guess that's one way to go. I was thinking of actually condensing my collection to a few. Having all these jerseys seem to devalue the others. Makes it seem less rare. Anyways, thanks for everyone's help on the matter. I'll mull over it a little.

ivo610
10-05-2012, 02:11 PM
I don't think you will like the amount you would get for it. So hang on to it.

project 4
10-05-2012, 02:34 PM
I don't think you will like the amount you would get for it. So hang on to it.

Lol. Probably not. I wasn't really thinking about how much I would get for it. More of wondering if it was something I would regret in the long run. I use to collect cards and know that value can go up and down but was thinking GU stuff are more like 1/1's and sustain value a little better. You're probably right though, it would be better to hold on to it just for that reason alone.

Shipp_96
10-05-2012, 03:30 PM
To me it's just cool. And I am not a Kolb or Iggles fan. Since you are a fan of the player and not the team, as someone else said I'd lean on keeping it. Add to the fact they may never wear those throwback uniforms again I think it only enhances the value.

The other issue is if you were to part it out you'd have issues getting any real value for the cleats or pants. I do understand your issue with displaying it as I am having a tough time finding decent priced mannequins and a shelf to properly display my jerseys (it's why I sold most of them initially). So I do respect your dilemma there. But I also believe in time you'll be upset if you do sell it off.

project 4
10-06-2012, 05:04 AM
To me it's just cool. And I am not a Kolb or Iggles fan. Since you are a fan of the player and not the team, as someone else said I'd lean on keeping it. Add to the fact they may never wear those throwback uniforms again I think it only enhances the value.

The other issue is if you were to part it out you'd have issues getting any real value for the cleats or pants. I do understand your issue with displaying it as I am having a tough time finding decent priced mannequins and a shelf to properly display my jerseys (it's why I sold most of them initially). So I do respect your dilemma there. But I also believe in time you'll be upset if you do sell it off.

This. The uniqueness of the uniform makes it difficult to let go off which is why I'm having second thoughts. The fact that it was the only time they wore it that year commemorating the 1960 Philadelphia Eagles makes it special. Even though there's not too much going on on the jersey (logos, patches, etc), the colorway looks awesome IMO. There's scuffs on the jersey and pants however that I've photo matched since I recorded the game! :D

tom1315
10-06-2012, 08:13 AM
Keep the Kevin Kolb uniform! As some others have said to have something that unique and complete is very tough to accomplish. I have one half mannequin and would like more yet my bride has vetoed anymore, though I am lobbying hard for a second one.

The one I have is from a tuxedo store. It can display the pants, jersey and helmet nicely. I posted pictures on here under the college section of a NC State helmet, jersey and pants.

I will send a picture of mine so you can see it. Really does not take up too much space either.

Tom

Go Pack! NC State 1981

tom1315
10-06-2012, 08:22 AM
Here is a picture...1st one with helmet, jersey and pants.

Bottom two just helmet and jersey w/o pants. I have it on the floor. A small stand would be best. WR Donald Hayes 2001 season.

Keep the Kolb!

Tom

Go Pack! NC State 1981 graduate

mad87man
10-06-2012, 08:34 AM
If you have a bit of doubt, i would keep it. You might end up regretting it and being screwed down the road.

project 4
10-07-2012, 04:15 AM
Keep the Kevin Kolb uniform! As some others have said to have something that unique and complete is very tough to accomplish. I have one half mannequin and would like more yet my bride has vetoed anymore, though I am lobbying hard for a second one.

The one I have is from a tuxedo store. It can display the pants, jersey and helmet nicely. I posted pictures on here under the college section of a NC State helmet, jersey and pants.

I will send a picture of mine so you can see it. Really does not take up too much space either.

Tom

Go Pack! NC State 1981

Cool mannequins Tom! I saw someone post a full body display of an entire uniform (car racer). I believe he made the glass display that surrounds the mannequin himself as well. Since I have the shoes I was wanting to do something similar. The only problem is it will take some space.

If you have a bit of doubt, i would keep it. You might end up regretting it and being screwed down the road.

Not sure how I'll be screwed down the road but yeah I'm leaning towards keeping it. Financially I'm stable right now. If I sell it for a loss so be it. I never really bought it to gain profit. I'm not going to let it go for significantly less either. I initially bought it when he was still with the Eagles but since he's not with them it kind of lost some value in my eyes. I have an Arizona Cardinals jersey which I cherish more.

mad87man
10-07-2012, 10:43 AM
Cool mannequins Tom! I saw someone post a full body display of an entire uniform (car racer). I believe he made the glass display that surrounds the mannequin himself as well. Since I have the shoes I was wanting to do something similar. The only problem is it will take some space.

Not sure how I'll be screwed down the road but yeah I'm leaning towards keeping it. Financially I'm stable right now. If I sell it for a loss so be it. I never really bought it to gain profit. I'm not going to let it go for significantly less either. I initially bought it when he was still with the Eagles but since he's not with them it kind of lost some value in my eyes. I have an Arizona Cardinals jersey which I cherish more.
I mean screwed as in once its gone it could be gone forever. Uniforms don't pop up very often and this is a rare uniform since they only wore it once. I would hang on to it.

project 4
10-07-2012, 05:44 PM
I mean screwed as in once its gone it could be gone forever. Uniforms don't pop up very often and this is a rare uniform since they only wore it once. I would hang on to it.

Cool. Yeah I'm sure if I sell it it would end up being divided and would never be together again which I anticipate. I just wonder what level of regret I'll have. Being relatively new in the hobby these are the suggestions I'm looking for. It's good to get insight from people who have been doing this for a long time and I appreciate everyone's advice. Well I guess while we're on the subject anyone ever have any stories of regrets?

cohibasmoker
10-08-2012, 08:56 AM
If you are not emotionally attached to it, why not entertain offers? Mr. Kolb, prior to the last game, was lighting up the NFL so why not test the waters? If he gets back on track, the value may or may not go up. It's a hard call - good luck.

Jim

flaa1a@comcast.net

rufusandherschel
10-08-2012, 09:29 AM
Here's my two sense (Sic) ;) ! Whatever you decide to with it, 'Don't look back' !

project 4
10-11-2012, 11:37 AM
Here's my two sense (Sic) ;) ! Whatever you decide to with it, 'Don't look back' !

Thanks! I have what I really wanted from Kolb (His first game used jersey from Arizona) so all I'm really looking for now is a GU College jersey. If I get that I certainly would not worry about "looking back" lol.

If you are not emotionally attached to it, why not entertain offers? Mr. Kolb, prior to the last game, was lighting up the NFL so why not test the waters? If he gets back on track, the value may or may not go up. It's a hard call - good luck.

Jim

flaa1a@comcast.net

That's a good idea. Any suggestions on how to do that would help. I know about ebay. Perhaps if it doesn't go for what I would like then it will make my decision easier.

project 4
11-07-2014, 09:07 AM
Decided to get rid of most of my Kolb stuff. (Keeping all his college stuff though). Just curious what is a good price range/starting price a Game used Eagles anniversary uniform set from Mei Grey will sell for?